Meridian/Proac d 2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

Anyone has experience with these two especially the meridian 557 and proac response d2? Also , is there much difference in quality betweem the meridian 557 and the 605 (newer, less power, but in monoblock form)?

Cheers,

Kevin.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The 557 is the star of the Meridian 500 series. It is a superb amplifier and unless you can find a 559 it is the pick of the bunch. No idea how it will sound with the Proac's though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your answer, any idea how the meridian 557 compares to the meridian 605 ?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The US magazine Stereophile reviewed the D2 a few months ago and recommended pairing it with an integrated tube amp named Leben, a Japanese firm that makes beautiful retro-looking amps:

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/proac_response_d_two_loudspeaker/

I've auditioned the D2 and found it to be a stunning speaker, beautifully balanced and with the typical ProAc "sweetness''.

The only thing to bear in mind is that the cost of the D2 with stands brings it very close to the next speaker up the Response range, which is the floorstanding D18. Size-wise the two would then be almost identical, so many potential D2 customers might be swayed to switch to the 18s instead.

Sorry, I have no input on the Meridians.

A

Anonymous

Thanks nick & singslinger

SingSlinger, I prefer stand mounts + a sub that floorstanders, but everyone is entitled to his opinion. The leben is a nice integrated, but I`m on the look for a power amp, and preferably no tubes.

Cheers

nomismo

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi I can vouch for the Meridian 557 having got one myself,this plays along in a tri amped system, using a Meridian 551/555/557 into a pair of Kef reference 203mk 2s.

It has excellent control, plenty of power,and just gets better day in day out.

Pay attention to supporting cables, buy the best you can afford, get the mains supply on it's own circuit, then sit back and enjoy.

I did listen to the Proac d2 when auditioning the Kef's but for me as good as they are the Kef's obviously won, It's all a matter of personal taste.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
daspaceman:
Thanks nick & singslinger

SingSlinger, I prefer stand mounts + a sub that floorstanders, but everyone is entitled to his opinion. The leben is a nice integrated, but I`m on the look for a power amp, and preferably no tubes.

Cheers

Yes I too prefer standmounts and no tubes! Good luck!

A

Anonymous

I`ll be on the watch for the second hand market for a :

meridian 557

rega exon 3

What else shall i add to the list?

A

Anonymous

Yes David,

EXONS!!
..but I Cannot Locate any second hand!

Have you tried the exons together with the d2 ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts