Meridian 506

James

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I joined this forum because it was the only place I found that had anything about Meridian cd players - although I can't find the thread now that I want to. But nevermind this looks like a pretty good place and I am looking forward to hearing from some of you.

About 20 years ago I set up a sound system: Plinius SA50 amp and M7 preamp, Lambert speakers- these are all NZmade so you may not have heard of them, and a Meridian 506 cd player. Later I put in a Fons CQ30 turntable (SME arm, Dynavector 10Xs head). You may not have heard of the Fons either because it is now about 40 years old - still works brilliantly. I have reasonable cables but nothing spectacularly expensive. I've tried out expensive ones but really couldn't tell the difference so haven't bothered to put any money there. I also have a home theatre system: Cyrus One amp with an HD converter (I think that's how you talk about it), an Optoma HD20 projector, an 82inch screen and Paradigm Atom Monitor shelf speakers. I am not sold on surround sound - I would rather have a good stereo sound. Amazingly, the Paradigms are just about as good as the big Lamberts.

Everything has been mostly fine with both systems although the Plinius makes a hum which I might ask for comments on later. Right now though my Meridian 506 has stopped recognising cd's. Every time I put in a cd it says 'no cd' on the display. I am hoping this is just the laser which is either dirty or dead. I understand that I may be able to replace the laser but so far I haven't been able to get the Meridian apart. I am not a very experienced techie but I have done some simple things and I thought that replacing a laser might be within my capabilities - especially as I haven't found anyone locally whom I would trust with gear like this. But to do this I need to get into the guts of the machine - at least to look at it and see if I could risk fiddling with it. I have taken out all the screws that look like they hold the cover in place but it doesn't budge and I am a bit scared of breaking it - especially the glass top. I am hoping that one of you may have opened up a Meridian 506 before and would be willing to say how to go about doing it. I would also appreciate any comments on whether it is possible to replace the laser with a non Phillips one and if there are any things I need to know in order to do this. Indeed any response will be eagerly read.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts