Meridian 506.24/Meridian 507 CD players - much of a difference?

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I was looking at getting a second hand Meridian 506 24 bit which was the last in the model line or the slightly newer 507. I believe they share the same dac but have a different loading tray. There is quite a difference in price on the second hand market with the 507 being more expensive. I was wondering whether there was that much of a difference in sound quality to justify the price of the 507?

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I've answered my own question and managed to listen to them both. The difference is almost indeterminate but I'd say the 506.24 was ever so slightly smoother and less clinical. Not that the 507 is clinical.

peanutfrenzy

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
For the 507 (and flagship 588) Meridian ditched their established whole-mechanism-slides-out-type transport in favour of an outsourced cd-rom drive. While their reasoning was logical - the player could read ahead, and even re-read, on-the-fly - it marked a build-quality change that existing customers found hard to swallow. I haven't heard a 507, but I understand that the earlier 506 and 508 models are held in higher regard, despite the 507's market value. I've also read that the cd-rom drive in the 507 is noisy, or at least louder then the whisper-quiet transport in the older players. I have a 506.20 and I love it. While I might be tempted to upgrade to a 508.24, the 507 holds little appeal. And if your considering a 506 I'd recommend auditioning the 20-bit player as well as the 24. I understand that the later 24-bit model gained extra resolution (understandably) and a more analytical sound, but lost out to the 20-bit in terms of pure musicality. I'd certainly like to try the two side-by-side.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I suggest that have a look at Equipment Restaraunt at the end of the Universe on the Meridan fansite forums before buying one. The Hitchikers Guide to Meridian are very helpful not only do they list some well looked after equipment, they also list the items for sale on eBay that they either suspect or know to be scams.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks I've gone for the Meridian 506.24 CDP (£390) and 551 amp (£235) connected with Chord Chorus (£100) and a pair of Jamo Concert 11's (£475) with 6 metres of Linn K400 speaker wire (£40) all second hand. Sounds good to me.

TRENDING THREADS