Melco N100

Dom

My PC has a 4TB HDD, 512GB NVME M.2 SSD, a NVidia 1660Ti, Intel 7700k and USB 3.1 gen 2. This is like a cable debate. There's USB specification, otherwise your 10Gb's would fail. I would still like to try it though.

Last edited:

Santa

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
If you’re looking for a high-quality music streamer, Melco’s N100 is one you should consider.

Melco N100 : Read more
So I have some flac original recordings, lossless and essentially the original data. If I'm playing these I'd expect that a streamer should be decoding the data and outputting PCM to my DAC without touching it. It's being processed digitally.
The exception might be if you are playing a lossy/ compressed format the codec may be upscalling so would be dependant on algorithms.
Any change in sound is going to come from the DAC, Amplifier, Speakers or any analog interconnects which for this test remained the same.
Some additional information on the codecs the manufactures use would be interesting and also analysing the PCM data to see if there are actually any differences.
And another question, were both streamers sending PCM or DSD?

Last edited:

biker_rich

Feb 4, 2020
Visit site
If you’re looking for a high-quality music streamer, Melco’s N100 is one you should consider.

Melco N100 : Read more

If you want a high quality streamer without a DAC, with the same - if not better - functionality then get a cheap PC or Raspberry PI. This review just reinforces What HiFi's ineptitude and total lack of understanding of digital technology. More expensive does not necessarily mean better. The Melco does not produce better 1's & 0's than a £40 Raspberry PI once it's decoded a compressed media file using standard decompression algorithms they are the same 1's and 0's.

Reactions: simonali

Yggy

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
One tip I was given when I bought an N100 was to use the MinimStreamer extension in MinimServer to transcode FLAC files to WAV before you send it to your DAC to reduce the amount of processing it has to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts