• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Melco N100

Dom

Aug 6, 2011
My PC has a 4TB HDD, 512GB NVME M.2 SSD, a NVidia 1660Ti, Intel 7700k and USB 3.1 gen 2. This is like a cable debate. There's USB specification, otherwise your 10Gb's would fail. I would still like to try it though.

Last edited:

Santa

Feb 4, 2020
If you’re looking for a high-quality music streamer, Melco’s N100 is one you should consider.

Melco N100 : Read more
So I have some flac original recordings, lossless and essentially the original data. If I'm playing these I'd expect that a streamer should be decoding the data and outputting PCM to my DAC without touching it. It's being processed digitally.
The exception might be if you are playing a lossy/ compressed format the codec may be upscalling so would be dependant on algorithms.
Any change in sound is going to come from the DAC, Amplifier, Speakers or any analog interconnects which for this test remained the same.
Some additional information on the codecs the manufactures use would be interesting and also analysing the PCM data to see if there are actually any differences.
And another question, were both streamers sending PCM or DSD?

Last edited:

LeighHughes

Jul 6, 2009
This does not look like a £2k piece of kit. If I'm spending that amount, I want it to look the part, as well as sound good.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
What a lot of nonsense. I bet if the tester didn't know which bit of kit was playing they'd not be able to tell which was which!

biker_rich

Feb 4, 2020
If you’re looking for a high-quality music streamer, Melco’s N100 is one you should consider.

Melco N100 : Read more
If you want a high quality streamer without a DAC, with the same - if not better - functionality then get a cheap PC or Raspberry PI. This review just reinforces What HiFi's ineptitude and total lack of understanding of digital technology. More expensive does not necessarily mean better. The Melco does not produce better 1's & 0's than a £40 Raspberry PI once it's decoded a compressed media file using standard decompression algorithms they are the same 1's and 0's.

Reactions: simonali

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS