Media Streamer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need a video media streamer for under £200, needs to play via HDMi to my LG 42" TV, no storage or wireless required as I will use network over mains to my synology NAS. wide variety of supported formats would be good and I would like a remote and access to "catch up TV" via the net and any other apps it may have. Thumbnails of the video clips would be good.

thanks

daveh75

Rasberry Pi running Raspbmc/openELEC?

£30, does pretty much everything you want, though doesn't support DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD (yet) and you'll need to add a MCE remote or similar, or use iOS/Android app or the web interface to control it.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
How about Crystal Acoustics Appstreamer G for around £100.

http://www.crystalaudiovideo.com/ProductDetails/Appstreamer-G.aspx

I've got Boxee box which streams all my movies wirelessly (it's wireless 'n' enabled) from Synology NAS. I automatically downloads metadata from IMDB for the movies with beautiful artwork. It's also AirPlay enabled which is a bonus.

A

Anonymous

HI

I did read about the Boxee, looks like it would have to sit on a shelf? not standard "rack" type kit?

the Rasberry Pi running Raspbmc/openELEC - looks like it could be interesting but wanted plug and play.

Crystal Acoustics Appstreamer looks good, never seen that, I am trying to find some youtube reviews.

cheers

A

Anonymous

what about: Popcorn Hour PopBox 3D? has good reviews on WHFI, has anyone here used one? again finding reviews on YT has been hard.

A

Anonymous

thats helpful thanks, I think there is a popcorn V8 and then the WDTV device? anyone used any of these devices?

A

Anonymous

Jailbroken ATV2 with xbmc installed. Will stream most anything, and you get add-ons to xbmc for catch-up.

synergy said:
thats helpful thanks, I think there is a popcorn V8 and then the WDTV device? anyone used any of these devices?

PopBox V8 looks to have a similar interface as the Boxee Box (a lot more plain though). It will be very good, & supports a wide variety of formats. It's not wifi ready though. Boxee is, & is also AirPlay enabled.

WD TV is a brilliant option. It's wifi ready & also plays virtually any format you throw at it. Hard to beat at the price. If it was not for the AirPlay feature, I would've gone for WD TV instead of Boxee box.

A

Anonymous

cheers, yeah I looked at the WD TV, dont need Airplay to be honest.

orinoco

Apr 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have a WDTV streaming (wirelessly) from a Synology NAS and it works very well; plays everything i throw at it and has plenty of apps to keep you busy.

Only issue is that every time I turn the WDTV on I have to rescan the NAS to locate the movies. I think this maybe because I set the NAS to hibernate, but not tested that theory, and may also not be a problem if you use power line to connect to your network. I got mine for <£75 on eBay (bnib).

A

Anonymous

thanks guys for all the advice here.....I may well get the WDTV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts