May issue

matthewpiano

Unusual for me to say so, but I've found very little to read in the new issue. 45 minutes over a mug of coffee this morning and I've pretty much exhausted it, which is a bit disappointing, especially after the previous few issues and the huge amount of new product out there.

I think the TV tests need greater detail now. There is no mention at all of Sony's Applicast function on the 40W5500 or details on the USB functionality other than, by association, by reference to the picture frame mode. Some mention of this functionality, including its limitations, is surely important considering these are developing areas in TV usage. Furthermore there are no details on the various MotionFlow settings or useful features such as Voice Zoom, which allows the user to bring the voice forward on those programmes where the background noise is swamping speech. If there are omissions like this in the Sony review, the reviews of the other sets are bound to be missing similar information.

These are intended to be constructive criticisms and not a general assault.

A

Anonymous

I enjoyed the May issue, probably more than I did the April one - it's all down to individual preference in terms of content I suppose....

Following the recent survey, I'm interested to know what the June issue has in store, as Richard has hinted at a new look based on reader input. There aren't any tasters or further hints of what's to come. I know from the banter here on the forum that different people have very different preferences regarding what they like/don't like in the mag.

A

Anonymous

"There aren't any tasters or further hints of what's to come"

Soon you'll have an online preview in the form of my blog....keep your eyes peeled

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with matthewpiano on this.

I bought WHF mag for the first time in April as I was looking for an LCD TV. I then discovered the website and read the reviews on there also. I still couldn't decide what TV to buy so I eagerly anticipated the May issue.

So why is it that the free online reviews and the reviews in the magazine are almost identical?

I fully understand that people want everything on the internet for free, and that's fine, provide them with a brief summary of the TV and then your rating. But please give the people that actually go out and buy the magazine some value for money in the form of a more in depth review perhaps.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BallseyHalsey:So why is it that the free online reviews and the reviews in the magazine are almost identical?

Because they are the same reviews, made available online a while after the magazine is on sale. Although sometimes we do publish reviews of significant products ahead of the magazine's on-sale date.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Andrew.

So, in other words, don't bother buying the magazine, as there is obviously no argument for doing so?

A

Anonymous

I think you'll find a few people would disagree with you on this point.

Alongside the biggest reviews before online, you'll get Group Tests, Super Tests, Round Ups and the kind of comparative features and articles you won't see online. More of which in the new look issue, out May 6th.

And of course online, you get all the things a magazine can't do - like videos, podcasts, blogs etc. The best magazines have great websites too - it's how they do business and spread their words and we're no exception.

In other words, the magazine and website make the best of both mediums so you can enjoy our content wherever you are, 24/7 and everyone on these forums is pleased with the service we've provided according to the thosands that kindly responded to our reader survey.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BallseyHalsey:Thank you Andrew.

So, in other words, don't bother buying the magazine, as there is obviously no argument for doing so?

Ballsy argument, but not what I said at all.

You were asking about the reviews - as Richard has pointed out, there's a lot more in the magazine than straight reviews of single products, and come the June issue there will be even more.

A

Anonymous

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your informed response.

I just feel - and this is only my personal opinion after buying your magazine twice - that people that buy the magazine for the reviews should be rewarded in some way for doing so. In my case the sole reason I bought the magazine was for the TV reviews in both April and May, and I was somewhat disappointed that the information on the several of the TV's I had read in advance (almost word for word) online.

Perhaps you could consider lengthier, more in depth review in the magazine in future.

Don't take this as critcism for what it otherwise a decent magazine, merely as contructive feedback.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts