Matching Yamaha A-S500 with B&W 684 speakers

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I am contemplating a new audio system comprising the Yamaha CD-S2000, Yamaha A-S500 integrated amplifier and the B&W 684 speakers. I have thought about the Yamaha A-S2000 amplifier but this is beyond my current budget. Would the B&W 684 speakers be too "over the top" or be limited in their performance by the A-S500, which seems powerful enough, and has received excellent reviews? Or do I need to invest in an amplifier within the same price bracket? I also plan to use Chord Co cables. Thanks for any advice.

A

Anonymous

Not at all

The Yamaha will drive the B&W 684's very well indeed BUT you may find the combination fairly mellow.

What would be handy to know is what music do you generally listen to and what is your budget for the amp?

I think the likes of NAD, Rotel and Audiolab amps should be considered as well (if possible)

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I am myself considering the B & W 684s, with either HK3490, or second hand NAD c352/c355bee, although many seem to think that this might be rather bass heavy. (60% hiphop, rest is blues, jazz, acoustic guitar, missus helmut's phil collins)

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. My musical tastes mostly involve instrumental new age/acoustic/smooth jazz. Do you think the Yamaha/B&W combination may sound too warm or bass-heavy? Or would you suggest something like Cambridge Audio Azur 840C/840A components, which my local dealer (Perth, Australia) also has available.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I am using NAD 355BEE with my MA RX1 and found them to be an excellent match. I listen mostly to Jazz, light music and vocals. I believe A-S500 will also be a very good match with B&W 684 including RX1 and can produce similar excellent sound quality as my NAD. I don't think 684 can be as bassy as my RX1. In case you found too much bass in the combination try to adjust your room acoustic by absorbers/diffusers to suit your taste. I believe NAD is warmer but gives a bit less clarity than A-S500.

T

the record spot

I'd reverse your spend on the CDP and amp...have the better amp over the source. Deals can be had - something like the once-£500 Harman Kardon HD990 is on the go for £299 and buy a better amp. The amp's the key item in digital reproduction IMO, while there's relatively little to choose between a £400 CDP and a £800 one, but the amp can makr a big difference.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I myself am considering the B&W 684s which I demoed last Thursday with a Marantz 6003, Yamaha A-S500 and a Rotel RA05se.

Marantz -

Very good sound inregards to treble, symbols so and so. Where as bass I thought was a little light for me, and not very warm which I prefer. I found it to be very clinical and didn't control the bass very well with these speakers.

Yamaha-

Heard new notes and a wider bandwith with my music with this amp but not much else I thought. It sounded like to me it was trying to satisfy all aspects the senses but wasn't outstanding in any. I found it to be very soul-less, not to my taste.

Rotel-

This being the least powerful but my God! This was in another league, I was told that Rotel amps go very well with the 684s and they were right! Instant hit was the punch of that bass as well as not over bearing on the treble. Mids were lovely touch and bringing music to life like I was sitting in a theatre rather than a science lesson.

After the demo, the bloke at the shop said that a magazine did a test on the actual wattage of these amps which came to about 80wpc. Also, he did add that the RA04se would sound better due to not having a remote control and a few led lights.

I am going in again to demo these but this time with the RA06se which is on sale for £450! Mind you, it is ex-demo but bargain I think.

A

Anonymous

The likes of a decent 2nd hand NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated amp would be a superb choice as would the Rotel RA06SE or the RA1520 (dependent upon budget of course)

The Yamaha is a good amp but for me it sounded very smooth and mellow at times; similar to the Marantz sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts