Matching amp for Dynaudio Excite X12

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current setup looks like this: NAS (with files ripped in FLAC or WAV) --> Sonos ZP90 --> Arcam rDac --> Marantz PM6010 --> Dynaudio Excite X12

I am very happy with the Dynaudios although I feel it would be possible to get even more out of them if the Marantz amp was replaced with something better.

My current shortlist: Nad 326BEE (£250), Yamaha A-S500 (£300), Creek Evo 2 (£550), Cambridge Audio 840A v2 (£600).

Which of them do you think would suit the Dynaudios best? Would it be worth spending the extra £ for the Creek or the CA compared to the other two? Any other suggestions to add to the shortlist?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
These hi-fi amps at £300 won't be controlling the Dynaudio's bass sufficiently, and won't really have the current to drive a 4ohm speaker effectively. Your starting point should be the Audiolab 8200A, which is a great sounding amp (I've added it to my sub £1,000 hot models), and drive the Dynaudios so well you'll be windering what you've been missing all this time. For me, it's the best sounding amp this side of the Naim Nait 5i.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:These hi-fi amps at £300 won't be controlling the Dynaudio's bass sufficiently, and won't really have the current to drive a 4ohm speaker effectively. Your starting point should be the Audiolab 8200A, which is a great sounding amp (I've added it to my sub £1,000 hot models), and drive the Dynaudios so well you'll be windering what you've been missing all this time. For me, it's the best sounding amp this side of the Naim Nait 5i.im baffled, what's the price of an amp got to do with anything david? im currently driving the pants off a pair of 4ohm dynaudio speakers with a £300 amp thats got 35watts more than a £700 naim nait 5. where does it say in the specs on these £700-£800-£900 stereo amps that they have more current? do they all have more current than yamaha as500s, nad c326bees, marantz pm 7003s?? does the audiolab 8200a have more current than my yamaha? if so how does one deduce that? cheers...

A

Anonymous

smoke and mirrors Max........your amp is more than an acceptable match for your speakers. ........ and you are right £££££££££ has nothing to do with it! enjoy pumping out those tunes

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Smoke and mirrors? Hmmm, ok.

maxflinn:im baffled, what's the price of an amp got to do with anything david? im currently driving the pants off a pair of 4ohm dynaudio speakers with a £300 amp thats got 35watts more than a £700 naim nait 5. where does it say in the specs on these £700-£800-£900 stereo amps that they have more current? do they all have more current than yamaha as500s, nad c326bees, marantz pm 7003s?? does the audiolab 8200a have more current than my yamaha? if so how does one deduce that? cheers...

I'm making a generalisation that amplifiers in this price bracket don't have the control or current necessary for a 4ohm speaker. Unfortunately, current rating is rarely quoted by manufacturers these days.

And just because one amp has got 35 watts more than another amplifier, it doesn't mean it's more powerful. It doesn't work that way.

A

Anonymous

I have my X12's for almost a year now and have been extremely happy with them. The X12's are currently plugged into a Marantz SR5003 and, together with my Rel T1, satisfy most of the needs I have when watching movies on my Pioneer plasma.

Actually I like the X12's so much that I decided I might want to get another pair for my dedicated listening room. So recently I hooked up the the X12's to my Creek 5350 SE classic in that (smaller) room and was absolutely amazed by the immense open and powerfull, yet subtle, sound this combo gave me. This is the sound that makes me happy, lets me forget about hifi and just enjoy the music that's playing. Well, at least for the first 10 minutes or so. When listening to the X12's and Creek combo for a longer time I can't help but miss that extra dimension. It sounds full-bodied and with lots of colour in voices and instruments, but still I would call the sound somewhat 'mechanical'. With the Marantz receiver sound was much less dynamical and open, the soundstage not even half as wide as with the Creek, but that mechanical feel didn't occur to me.

Why I am writing al this? Because I went tot the shop and listened to al lot of amps in combination with the X12's in search for the Creek-sound but with more musical emotion. I tried Marantz 8003, Rotel 1520, Cambridge 650, and some models from Advance Acoustic and NAD. None gave me the satisfaction I was looking for, all a step down from the Creek. I then read in several forums that Arcam should be a good partner for a pair of Dynaudio's. Looked up a dealer that also had the X12 and gave it a try. Sound was not as powerfull as with the Creek, or as clean, but it had that extra glow I was searching for. For me Arcam and Dynaudio is a great marriage. Maybe not the most detail-revealing combo, but very very musical. Hope it helps.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have a marantz PM8003 and Audiolab 8200A.

The marantz is rated at 70W while the Audiolab is 60W.

But the overall power consumption for the marantz is 200W while the Audiolab is 440W.

Therefore, while the Audiolab has a lower output rating in terms of Watts, it is capable of delivering more current.

I believe it could be explained this way.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Despite the 4 ohms nominal impedance, Dynaudio made the Excite series so that it could be driven by entry level amplifiers. Measurements posted online also confirm this. While the ability to deliver more current is never a bad thing, I don't think it's required with the X12.

Having said that, if I were you I'd try to swing an in-home trial before you buy. That way you can hear for yourself whether the X12 sounds better with a higher current amp in a setting you are familiar with. It probably will. From your list I'd personally take the Creek. You might also want to try to hear the Exposure 2010s2.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Even though I think that the NAD or the Yamaha would work just fine with the Dynaudios I feel that perhaps these would be more of a sidestep compared to the Marantz that I currently have, rather than being a significant upgrade. Rethinking a bit, while continuing to read and considering reviews and comments on the forum has lead to some changes to the shortlist. And the budget is stretched a little... hm always goes that way. The ones I consider are:
[*]Exposure 2010s2[*] Naim Nait 5i[*]Rotel RA-1520[*]Creek Evo 2[*]Rega Mira 3[*]Musical Fidelity XT-100 (+PSU)[*]Harman Kardon HK990
I listen to a lot of various rock like Stones, Iron Maiden, Audioslave but also softer music like Erykah Badu, Norah Jones, Melody Gardot. I want an amp that gives the necessary openness to voices but still can produce that "heavy" sound which makes a rock record really involving and FUN to listen to. To me musical drive is much more important than the last word in terms of detail.

So of the amps above, what is the best my £ can buy to get the sound I am after?

mullansson1:

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Even though I think that the NAD or the Yamaha would work just fine with the Dynaudios I feel that perhaps these would be more of a sidestep compared to the Marantz that I currently have, rather than being a significant upgrade. Rethinking a bit, while continuing to read and considering reviews and comments on the forum has lead to some changes to the shortlist. And the budget is stretched a little... hm always goes that way. The ones I consider are:

[*]Exposure 2010s2
[*]Naim Nait 5i
[*]Rotel RA-1520
[*]Creek Evo 2
[*]Rega Mira 3
[*]Musical Fidelity XT-100 (+PSU)
[*]Harman Kardon HK990

I listen to a lot of various rock like Stones, Iron Maiden, Audioslave but also softer music like Erykah Badu, Norah Jones, Melody Gardot. I want an amp that gives the necessary openness to voices but still can produce that "heavy" sound which makes a rock record really involving and FUN to listen to. To me musical drive is much more important than the last word in terms of detail.

So of the amps above, what is the best my £ can buy to get the sound I am after?

Out of the ones I've heard the top four should drive them well. Not heard the Rega, MF or HK. Others have and they'll be able to advise.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mullansson1:
My current setup looks like this: NAS (with files ripped in FLAC or WAV) --> Sonos ZP90 --> Arcam rDac --> Marantz PM6010 --> Dynaudio Excite X12

I am very happy with the Dynaudios although I feel it would be possible to get even more out of them if the Marantz amp was replaced with something better.

My current shortlist: Nad 326BEE (£250), Yamaha A-S500 (£300), Creek Evo 2 (£550), Cambridge Audio 840A v2 (£600).

Which of them do you think would suit the Dynaudios best? Would it be worth spending the extra £ for the Creek or the CA compared to the other two? Any other suggestions to add to the shortlist?

Well I've had the first versions of the Creek Evo and the 840A and they were both very good (the Cambridge is a step up though). I've listened to the Nad and it's not in the same class. Ive not heard the others though.

Richer Sounds offer a money back guaranteed home trial with 840 range. £600 is a steal and you would be hard pushed to better it with £1k.

Gerrardasnails:mullansson1:

Well I've had the first versions of the Creek Evo and the 840A and they were both very good (the Cambridge is a step up though). I've listened to the Nad and it's not in the same class. Ive not heard the others though. Richer Sounds offer a money back guaranteed home trial with 840 range. £600 is a steal and you would be hard pushed to better it with £1k.

The Leema Pulse @ £749 is rather tempting.
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:mullansson1:

Well I've had the first versions of the Creek Evo and the 840A and they were both very good (the Cambridge is a step up though). I've listened to the Nad and it's not in the same class. Ive not heard the others though. Richer Sounds offer a money back guaranteed home trial with 840 range. £600 is a steal and you would be hard pushed to better it with £1k.

emotion-5.gif

Is that an ex demo price PP? I've not heard the Leema but I've read nothing but good reviews and of course you have said how good it is.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:Gerrardasnails:mullansson1:

emotion-5.gif

Is that an ex demo price PP? I've not heard the Leema but I've read nothing but good reviews and of course you have said how good it is.

No brand new. If their anything like my one then it'll be factory sealed as well.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Smoke and mirrors? Hmmm, ok. maxflinn:im baffled, what's the price of an amp got to do with anything david? im currently driving the pants off a pair of 4ohm dynaudio speakers with a £300 amp thats got 35watts more than a £700 naim nait 5. where does it say in the specs on these £700-£800-£900 stereo amps that they have more current? do they all have more current than yamaha as500s, nad c326bees, marantz pm 7003s?? does the audiolab 8200a have more current than my yamaha? if so how does one deduce that? cheers...
I'm making a generalisation that amplifiers in this price bracket don't have the control or current necessary for a 4ohm speaker. Unfortunately, current rating is rarely quoted by manufacturers these days. And just because one amp has got 35 watts more than another amplifier, it doesn't mean it's more powerful. It doesn't work that way.

I completly agree.. its all about current!

my old rega mira 3 was 60wpc and could not control my pmc's the way my new naim xs does (which is also 60wpc).

THESTIG08:

FrankHarveyHiFi:Smoke and mirrors? Hmmm, ok. maxflinn:im baffled, what's the price of an amp got to do with anything david? im currently driving the pants off a pair of 4ohm dynaudio speakers with a £300 amp thats got 35watts more than a £700 naim nait 5. where does it say in the specs on these £700-£800-£900 stereo amps that they have more current? do they all have more current than yamaha as500s, nad c326bees, marantz pm 7003s?? does the audiolab 8200a have more current than my yamaha? if so how does one deduce that? cheers...
I'm making a generalisation that amplifiers in this price bracket don't have the control or current necessary for a 4ohm speaker. Unfortunately, current rating is rarely quoted by manufacturers these days. And just because one amp has got 35 watts more than another amplifier, it doesn't mean it's more powerful. It doesn't work that way.

I completly agree.. its all about current!

my old rega mira 3 was 60wpc and could not control my pmc's the way my new naim xs does (which is also 60wpc).

I would say the Leema should drive the Dyns with ease and be a cracking synergy match.

A

Anonymous

Hi all first post and all that..

The dynaudio is actually rated at 6 ohm, not 4. just like the DM 2/6, this is what a Dynaudio guy told me, so they shouldït be too hard to drive.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The Dynaudio x12 has a minimum impedance of about 4.6 ohms so is not a current hungry speaker. But it is a little insensitive at a measured value of about 84.8db/w.

You really want an amp of about 100w to drive it to high levels.

But the thing is they are revealing speakers and they need good amplification, hooking up £700 odd dyn's to budget amps is just silly.

Stick them on the end of a good Bryston pre/power combo for example and really see what they can do!!!!

There seems to be a trend at the moment of people spending 80% of their budget on speakers and the rest on source/amp. As the old saying goes rubbish in, rubbish out!!!

Like buying a ferrari with a nissan micra engine!

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
jiggyjoe:

The Dynaudio x12 has a minimum impedance of about 4.6 ohms so is not a current hungry speaker. But it is a little insensitive at a measured value of about 84.8db/w.

You really want an amp of about 100w to drive it to high levels.

But the thing is they are revealing speakers and they need good amplification, hooking up £700 odd dyn's to budget amps is just silly.

Stick them on the end of a good Bryston pre/power combo for example and really see what they can do!!!!
emotion-5.gif

There seems to be a trend at the moment of people spending 80% of their budget on speakers and the rest on source/amp. As the old saying goes rubbish in, rubbish out!!!

Like buying a ferrari with a nissan micra engine!

Agree totally with this. Budget amps will not do these Dyns justice. Although easier to drive than my older Contours, they will only really shine with strong amplification and will be an open window to the source, be it good or bad. Those contributing to this thread that doubt the value of current delivery in an amp over absolute quoted watts, really need to go and listen to some speakers like these Dynaudios driven by an amp like a Cambridge Audio or NAD etc, and then compare it to a really good amp like a Naim Nait XS or similar. The difference in dynamics and 'taughtness' of the sound is massive.

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at the Dyn X12 with a Musical Fidelity M3i and M1DAC. Is there anyone here running a X12 with M3i and wouldn't mind to share their experiences?

Thank you :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've got mines connected to a Rega Brio R and love every day a bit more!

I can't get tired of it, if i dont have my 3/4 hours a day i get kinda deppresed!

It is just music, no system, no " if i change that bit it could get..." I just want to get home turn on the amp/DAC/SBT, sit down and listening to music!

More that 50% of my stress flows out of the window.

That's how much i love this kit i put together!

:cheers:

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
My strong suggestion would be to consider Naim Nait 5i for X12. I have had some experience with this combination and it worked very well, and 5i has more than enough power and current to drive these Dynaudios. In fact the X range was produced by Dynaudio as easier driving speakers as match to less powerful amplifiers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts