Martantz M-CR610 & Concept 20s with audioquest cable

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Everything [..] has to 'burn in' and so it'll be on all week. The little Marantz kicks out a good sound for such a pathetic looking thing. Was on a budget to get everything ...and everthing means bedroom hi-fis, living room tv, av hi-fi and tables cables router switches etc for under £4000. Breached it I know but there ya go.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I stuck the M-CR610 in bi-amp mode and connected to the Q Acoustics Concept 20s with Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4. After approx. two hours of playing music it is settling right in and produce a suprisingly deep bass, big soundstage positioning vocals and instruments precisely within it; it's really articulate. However, I know from the previous 603s that and 2010is that they need a good week before they start to really shine. I've connected a Tohisba 2 1/2in 500Gb drive filled with high res flacs to the rear usb port and it is playing them through. It'll have to rest later though as I've got to give the rest of the kit a good working out as well.

The Marantz UD5007 universal player has stereo outs. I have connected it to the Marantz CM-CR610 audio in as well. Thought I might try it later to see what it sounded like.

Noticed that the Marantz NR1504 has pre outs as well. Must investigate further.

One hitch is that none of the Marantz remotes seem to be able to differentiate between components. Use any one of them to increase or decrease the volume and it will alter volume on all components....which is annoying. Suppose I shouldn't be listening to music and watching a blu-ray at the same time but there ya go. Oh, and the new M-CR610 still has no opne/close button on the remote. Annoying isn't the word! Keep forgetting and getting up and down like a yoyo.

I am currently stuffing my piggy bank with coins now as I'm saving for a NaimUniti. Well that's the plan.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just reading 'in another place' that someone is suggesting that a 610 might make an excellent partner for the soon to be available AVI DM5s.

All the souces and funtionality built in, just bypass the power amps by using the pre-outs direct into the DM5s, perfect.

Must be nice for M-CR610 users to know that there is such a clear and effective upgrade path available....... :grin:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Just reading 'in another place' that someone is suggesting that a 610 might make an excellent partner for the soon to be available AVI DM5s.

All the souces and funtionality built in, just bypass the power amps by using the pre-outs direct into the DM5s, perfect.

Must be nice for M-CR610 users to know that there is such a clear and effective upgrade path available....... :grin:

The M-CR603 has a fixed level RCA L/R output but not one governed by the volume control ('Aux out' not pre-out). So it was never suitable for use with power amps or actives.

The M-CR610 has a L/R RCA 'Audio out' but there is no downloadable manual on the Marantz UK website yet. So it's not clear if this is fixed level too.

I would caution people to call D&M support before trying.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:

The M-CR603 has a fixed level RCA L/R output but not one governed by the volume control ('Aux out' not pre-out). So it was never suitable for use with power amps or actives.

The M-CR610 has a L/R RCA 'Audio out' but there is no downloadable manual on the Marantz UK website yet. So it's not clear if this is fixed level too.

I would caution people to call D&M support before trying.

My thoughts exactly, Chebby. From the manual on the US site, it seemed to imply that it was fixed level.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If it is variable and could go to actives, another string to its bow.

The Marantz all in ones get more impressive.

Hopefully, someone will find out for sure.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
DDC, that works for nearly all active speakers, including such prestigous brands as Dynaudio, PMC and ATC, so you're not limited to one brand.

Of course it does, I was just trying to create a bit of mischief, its a bit quiet at the moment.

Actually I had meant to include the classic 'Other active speakers are available' line but must have forgotten....... :twisted:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
I would definitely recommend calling D&M technical support (weekdays) on their Belfast number before assuming anything ...

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/contact/pages/contact-details.aspx

... Even manuals can be ambiguous.

Probably wise to check before parting with any cash.

However I did 'do my homework' before posting and everything I read made it clear that the 603 has a fixed output for recorders say, and the 610 a 'proper' 2.1 pre out, which has to be variable for it to work.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
However I did 'do my homework' before posting and everything I read made it clear that the 603 has a fixed output for recorders say, and the 610 a 'proper' 2.1 pre out, which has to be variable for it to work.

Links?

It's just that other Marantz products with 'pre out' make it entirely clear and unambiguous that a connection is a 'pre out' by calling it 'pre out' and not 'aux out' or 'audio out'.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Okay. From the US owner's manual...

"Audio Out connectors.

Used to connect devices equipped with analog audio inputs connectors
or an external pre-main amplifier."

So it seems that the device you plug it into needs a pre stage of it's own.

Other 'giveaways' are that tone controls (or other effects) have no influence on the signal from 'Audio Out'.

I reckon this 'Audio out' is meant for those who intend to use the M-CR610 as a multi source to a normal integrated amp or pre-amp.

It would be fine with ADM9s (because they have a built in pre-amp and an analogue RCA input) but not ADM5s.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Okay. From the US owner's manual...

"Audio Out connectors.

Used to connect devices equipped with analog audio inputs connectors
or an external pre-main amplifier."

So it seems that the device you plug it into needs a pre stage of it's own.

Other 'giveaways' are that tone controls (or other effects) have no influence on the signal from 'Audio Out'.

Looks like you are correct, my 'homework' clearly deserves an "F", of epic proportions shame.

Memo to self, Do not believe everything you read on the internet, especially online reviews....... :doh:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
That's a real pity, I'm looking for an excuse to buy one.

Assuming you aren't 100 percent ideologically 'wedded' to actives for every audio application, then why not do as the OP did and use a decent pair of little passive bookshelf speakers?

The numerous positive user reviews of the M-CR603 were for the complete package and not just it's built-in sources. I am guessing (from looking at your other kit) that you are not thinking of making the M-CR610 your main system and that it's going to be used as a second / third system in a den or office or spare room instead.

I can't see a problem with that (using the M-CR610 with passive bookshelf speakers), unless you want to play it at filling loosening volume settings :)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Possibly for a main system. I've recently done a Sonos v airplay comparison. The Sonos won but I've not completely discount airplay yet. But I love the way the Marantz brings things together in one place.

If it was to become part of an extra system, I wouldn't necessarily be averse to a small pair of passives. I couldn't see me turning away from actives as main speakers (AVI or not).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Possibly for a main system. I've recently done a Sonos v airplay comparison. The Sonos won but I've not completely discount airplay yet. But I love the way the Marantz brings things together in one place.

If it was to become part of an extra system, I wouldn't necessarily be averse to a small pair of passives. I couldn't see me turning away from actives as main speakers (AVI or not).

I was so keen on using the 610 as a pre-amp that I completely miss-read the information, wishfill thinking on my behalf...... :oops:

Using the 'all inclusive' 610 to drive a pair of small actives would have been perfect for me given my current 'cash poor' situation. I'm really dissapointed, budget wise it would have been affordable, shame really.

Still, if anyone finds such a product, most of the functionality of the 610 but with pre-outs, I would be seriously interested. I am not a fan of A/V recievers, so although some come very close to my needs, I wouldn't want to go down that route.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I can confirm that gapless works via network and USB. First thing I tested.
smiley-smile.gif

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
SiUK said:
Yes, I can confirm that gapless works via network and USB. First thing I tested.
smiley-smile.gif
Thanks, what about from the app? Seems that many DLNA players can now do gapless when "pulling" data via their own remotes or control panels but can't when "pushing" via an app.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
And where is our silver M-CR610 option? (UK only gets black with white panel, or black with black panel.)

M-CR610_Release.jpg

Whatever the colour, the new one has an all plastic outer case and has had it's looks ruined compared to the (IMO much more elegant and smart, metal encased) M-CR603...

L_M-CR603N_silver_D_JP.png

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it does. I connected to Serviio on my PC using the Marantz remote app on my Samsung Galaxy III and played them on the M-CR610 gapless without problems.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@ chebby

Actually I know how you feel there I have to say. I wanted silver boxes as well, although the black 'fits in' downstairs. Nonetheless, I preferred the look of the M-CR603. The CR610 body doesn't feel as substantial in plastic. I kind of understand where Marantz have taken it, but I think they went off track with the new design. The solid build was part of the appeal I think.

You'll also find that when the dimmer is active (no display) a green led now glows brightly to let you know the unit is still on. Again, I get it, but it's OTT. It's too bright (but then I hate ruddy leds glowing) but then the CR603 had white 'eyes' when the dimmer was on so swings and roundabouts I suppose ;-)

The am radio has been done away with and the fm and DAB sockets have been combined into one. I didn't see the point of the am anyway and to be honest, the combi socket means one cable feeding the unit so probably a good move and declutters the back panel.

The rear USB is a real bonus for me (aside of gapless playback). I have a 2 1/2 inch drive permanently attached to it. It sits on top of the Marantz at the back. You can't even see it. And access to a lot of music with one press. Haven't used the front USB yet (was using it on the CR603 with the hard drive)

Media server is as it was except you can now fast forward and play gapless flacs.

Still slow connecting to USB and servers. Nothing changed there. I find that annoying actually.

There is also an audible switching noise as the CR610 switches between sources...like a hard drive disconnecting...a cick and a whine. Bit disconcerting at first. And power off isn't quick: It takes a while...as it shuts down the unit an icon spins on the display and then disappears as ti goes into standby.

Sound:

I'm trying to compare the sound of the CR610 to the CR603 from memory, but I didn't have the CR603's for a great length of time. However, it does strike me that the CR610s are a little 'brighter' than the CR603s. But that may be because it hasn't fully settled in yet....maybe. I hope so. Something has changed soundwise though. But then I'm listening through new speakers as well, so not sure yet how to fully describe what it is other than to say that the emphasis on the mid and upper frequencies seems to be greater. Doesn't seem quite so intergrated with the lower frequencies. But that may be the speakers running in as well. Again, I'll give it a good 40 to 60 hours and then I'll be certain of what is. I also have the new Concept 20s bi-amped and that can produce a slightly brighter sound IME. One thing notable about this combo is that the treble is actually amazing. Not fatiguing in any way. But then if the emphahis remains on the upper frequencies it would start to feel a bit low-fi very quickly. Probably best not saying much else until everything has run in well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts