Marshall speakers

Jonar

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am interested in the Marshall range of speakers, such as Kilburn, Stanmore and Woburn. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

Jonar

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome,Jonar.

Others on the forum will be better qualified to give you more indepth advice, but I will give you my own advice based on owning the AKG550. Having had these for about twelve months I have to say that they are great for sound, but for my tastes, they are a bit too neutral. I guess it really depends what music you listen to, and what you look for when listening to your music on headphones.

Best advice really is to try and listen to a couple of headphones in your price range. Just because What Hif gives a 'phone five stars does not neccessarily mean that they will be 5* for YOU !

Regards,

Tom

Jonar

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello Tom 2be,

Thanks so much for your early reply, much appreciated. Although I like listening to all kinds of modern music, I listen these days mostly to classical and jazz. I am not looking for too much bass, but rather something more of a "natural" sound. I have several of what are considered good quality headphones, but I am always on the lookout for new ones. I do agree with you, What Hi-Fi 5 stars status is no guarantee for what might suit you. The Hi-Fi virus fortunately can not be cured..... Let's keep serching!

Again, many thanks

Jonar

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Jonar said:
Hello Tom 2be,

Thanks so much for your early reply, much appreciated. Although I like listening to all kinds of modern music, I listen these days mostly to classical and jazz. I am not looking for too much bass, but rather something more of a "natural" sound. I have several of what are considered good quality headphones, but I am always on the lookout for new ones. I do agree with you, What Hi-Fi 5 stars status is no guarantee for what might suit you. The Hi-Fi virus fortunately can not be cured..... Let's keep serching!

Again, many thanks

Jonar

Looking over my last 50 headphones, the most neutral out of the box were the Shure 840, the Yamaha MT220, and the AKG K712. The K712 has the best quality sound overall, and very comfortable.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Jonar said:
Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am contemplating buying either AKG 550 or AKG 551. Both have received smashing reviews and can now be had at an attractive price on AMAZON. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!
I had the K550 for a while and I had a similar experience with the sound. Although they are basically neutral, my problem with the stemmed from the fact that the bass was so thin I'd say it's away from neutral at that point. Although the Q701 (simialr to Dale's suggested K712) is also similarly balanced in the FR the detail and space you get from those open back headphones far outstrips the experience of the K550.

I had more problems with shrill highs and there was so little clamp from them that the poor seal killed what little bass and isolation they apparently have. The best thing about them for me was the looks to be brutally honest and the price reductions only make them a little bit more competative imo too.

AFAIK the K551 is the same headphone with a different cable.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Jonar said:
Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am contemplating buying either AKG 550 or AKG 551. Both have received smashing reviews and can now be had at an attractive price on AMAZON. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!
I had the K550 for a while and I had a similar experience with the sound. Although they are basically neutral, my problem with the stemmed from the fact that the bass was so thin I'd say it's away from neutral at that point. Although the Q701 (simialr to Dale's suggested K712) is also similarly balanced in the FR the detail and space you get from those open back headphones far outstrips the experience of the K550.

I had more problems with shrill highs and there was so little clamp from them that the poor seal killed what little bass and isolation they apparently have. The best thing about them for me was the looks to be brutally honest and the price reductions only make them a little bit more competative imo too.

AFAIK the K551 is the same headphone with a different cable.

I would add to this that it's always best (if you can) to get a headphone that's fully around ear with soft enough earpads to seal well to different size heads. A lot of headphones that are stated as "over ear" fit some people OK and others not so well, since when they don't fully surround the ears it's hit or miss which part of the ear pinnae they crunch. The other issue, if they do circle the ear well, is how shallow the earcups are, and how the ears feel being pressed against what's inside of the earcups. Or just go with on-ear with very soft earpads, and that can work pretty well.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
It's not just me then....... Personally I have no experience with any of this speaker range, and it sounds like nobody else does either :)

I've got plenty experience of Marshall speakers but it tends to be of the 4 x Celestion 12" variety driven by a set of EL34s. I don't think any of them had bluetooth.

TomSawyer said:
Al ears said:
It's not just me then....... Personally I have no experience with any of this speaker range, and it sounds like nobody else does either :)

I've got plenty experience of Marshall speakers but it tends to be of the 4 x Celestion 12" variety driven by a set of EL34s. I don't think any of them had bluetooth.

Perhaps not but the ones the OP is enquiring about have.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Oooooh nice *biggrin* .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nk-cr9UI6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iz47fH9BEg

You know you want one. *i-m_so_happy*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts