Marantz Yamaha dilemma

maxmelvin19

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm going to pull the trigger on a hifi separates system but the new What Hifi magazine review of the Marantz PM6004 amp has put the cat amongst the pigeons!

I'm definately planning on getting the Marantz CD6004 and the Monitor Audio BX2s (standmount speakers) but I'm torn between the Yamaha AS500 amp and the Marantz PM6004 Any thoughts/advice?

Much appreciated,

Max

I suspect the only answer is to hear both with your choice of speakers.

Or wait for the Awards issue, where my 50p is on the Marantz.

But if the Yammy costs £250 locally, and the Marantz £310, well then I might spend the difference on better cables. Then again, it will look neater with the Marantz pairing!

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
very easy choice Marantz. I made the mistake of getting yamaha a-s500 to my bx2, I compared it to a JVC vintage, marantz like one, Jvc didnt match in dynamics, timing and resolution but i just cant discribe how much better the tone balance and vocals got, much softer sound and somehow fuller sound. Have whathifi reviewed the new pm6004?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

New mag has a review of the PM6004.

On sale from today funnily enough although mine was on Tesco shelf yesterday...now in my house. Oooo I feel so dirty lol. >)

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

I'd get the Yamaha, simply because the Marantz seems awfully underpowered. I'd audition anything you buy first though.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Marantz don't Seem to be as optimistic on their figures as others.
For instance, I had an av amp rated at 50 wpc, but underpowered it certainly wasn't. Drove RS6s with ease. Just saying the spec sheet doesn't tell full story.

matthewpiano

The PM6003 isn't under-powered so I don't expect the new model to be either. A lot of guff is spoken about amplifier power. There is only so much power you need at reasonable domestic levels. Having owned both the A-S500 and the PM6003 I'd go for the Marantz every time, and the new model is supposed to be quite a big improvement....

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Marantz and Yamaha both make fine amps. In this case - as a combo with MA speakers - I would definitely go for the Marantz though. The treble of MA can be a little overemphasized. This will be tamed quite nicely by the (slightly warm) Marantz amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts