Marantz PM6007

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

artbox

Aug 14, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I have Marantz PM6007 from December 2022 that has an ESS Sabre 9010 DAC rather than the widely advertised AKM 4490 DAC. I am very happy about the sound and how Marantz fits to my vintage speakers. Anyway, I wandered has anyone or What Hi-Fi done a comparison test between the two dacs built in Marantz PM6007 (before and after AKM factory fire in October 2020)? I know that there is a different sound signature between these manufacturers.

Last edited:

odub1

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
I much prefer the sound of marantz - (lush, smooth and punchy), not audiolab with its chifi sound signature... A true upgrade would be getting a used arcam sa-10. On a more negative note though, one thing that really bothers me about marantz is they give more I/o features to the US model, namely the 3.5 trigger input is missing unless you have the US model. This is a huge problem because an old school (great sounding) amp design needs an external streamer these days... and without the trigger in, you have to constantly use the big chunky marantz remote to turn it on etc when the competition have their dedicated smart apps with spotify connect and boom! Where's the 3.5mm trigger in marantz? Do you want me to get a HEOS system? You've got to be kidding.

Drugo

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
I much prefer the sound of marantz - (lush, smooth and punchy), not audiolab with its chifi sound signature... A true upgrade would be getting a used arcam sa-10. On a more negative note though, one thing that really bothers me about marantz is they give more I/o features to the US model, namely the 3.5 trigger input is missing unless you have the US model. This is a huge problem because an old school (great sounding) amp design needs an external streamer these days... and without the trigger in, you have to constantly use the big chunky marantz remote to turn it on etc when the competition have their dedicated smart apps with spotify connect and boom! Where's the 3.5mm trigger in marantz? Do you want me to get a HEOS system? You've got to be kidding.
hi
may i ask you the meaning of?
not audiolab with its chifi sound signature...
well i have tried both , about marantz i don't like knobs volume and selector , they look very cheap and the front platic borders
about the sound ,well it does depend a lot of the speakers , some do sound so better with denon others with marantz
marantz with some speakers does sound for my ears to "flat" ,"less musical" with silk trebles and weak bass , less "deep" ,with some other speakers sound more "musical"
i guess they are very similar products , i had both for 1 month , seems they have changed only the Eq that's all
thanks

Reactions: odub1

odub1

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
hi
may i ask you the meaning of?

well i have tried both , about marantz i don't like knobs volume and selector , they look very cheap and the front platic borders
about the sound ,well it does depend a lot of the speakers , some do sound so better with denon others with marantz
marantz with some speakers does sound for my ears to "flat" ,"less musical" with silk trebles and weak bass , less "deep" ,with some other speakers sound more "musical"
i guess they are very similar products , i had both for 1 month , seems they have changed only the Eq that's all
thanks
I have to eat my words here because I demoed the Audiolab 7000a yesterday and I loved it. Yes, the speakers I’m using are wharfedale diamond 225. I only thought marantz sounded warm because directly compared my as500 Yamaha to my pm6005 and thought the Yamaha was too bright and nasty up top with metallic timbre. Horrible amp imo…

Drugo

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
I have to eat my words here because I demoed the Audiolab 7000a yesterday and I loved it. Yes, the speakers I’m using are wharfedale diamond 225. I only thought marantz sounded warm because directly compared my as500 Yamaha to my pm6005 and thought the Yamaha was too bright and nasty up top with metallic timbre. Horrible amp imo…
hi
in short the audiolab 7000a is your favorite amp ,isn't ?
is it very neautral or the most neutral ?
here in Eurpe is about €1,449.00 , marantz about 400€ there is a huge differente price
I wanted an audiolab cd player but they are so expansive , i don't know their mechanics if there are rock solid
amazing amp but made in China for €1,449.00
thanks

odub1

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
hi
in short the audiolab 7000a is your favorite amp ,isn't ?
is it very neautral or the most neutral ?
here in Eurpe is about €1,449.00 , marantz about 400€ there is a huge differente price
I wanted an audiolab cd player but they are so expansive , i don't know their mechanics if there are rock solid
amazing amp but made in China for €1,449.00
thanks
I found the Audiolab a bit dry and clinical but I liked its amazing authenticity and timing. For me I have wharfedale speakers that are very forgiving so that is the only reason I took the risk. Good point the price difference is huge, however I managed to find 8300a for £480 on eBay in UK. Apparently it sounds a bit different to 7000a and has no digital inputs, which for me is no problem but for you it could be… I will let you know my thoughts about the 8300a. Another bit less expensive amp I saw on hifishark in Europe - Slovakia is the marantz mm7025 for like €700 euros. I would consider that and use your old integrated as a pre-amp - especially if it’s marantz because you can connect the two together with the marantz “remote” I/o.

Reactions: Drugo

Drugo

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
I found the Audiolab a bit dry and clinical but I liked its amazing authenticity and timing. For me I have wharfedale speakers that are very forgiving so that is the only reason I took the risk. Good point the price difference is huge, however I managed to find 8300a for £480 on eBay in UK. Apparently it sounds a bit different to 7000a and has no digital inputs, which for me is no problem but for you it could be… I will let you know my thoughts about the 8300a. Another bit less expensive amp I saw on hifishark in Europe - Slovakia is the marantz mm7025 for like €700 euros. I would consider that and use your old integrated as a pre-amp - especially if it’s marantz because you can connect the two together with the marantz “remote” I/o.
hi
well good to know
may I know if you use amazon for "returned product" ?
well good to know about hifishark in Europe , i'm just scared to order in Uk , for brexit , some painfull stories , would like to know trusty european online seller with "returned product"?
outside UK , Usa could be even scarry
thanks for the
my thoughts about the 8300a

odub1

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
hi
well good to know
may I know if you use amazon for "returned product" ?
well good to know about hifishark in Europe , i'm just scared to order in Uk , for brexit , some painfull stories , would like to know trusty european online seller with "returned product"?
outside UK , Usa could be even scarry
thanks for the
I tried the Audiolab 8300a yesterday and am still listening to it now… which is a good sign! It is like I’ve never heard my songs played with so much detail and it still manages to sound fun! If you are not sure what you want though, I’d get a used marantz pm8005 or similar because it is basically the same as the 8300a but with more character, bass extension and is made in Japan. I am thinking about for 40% of the songs would need a subwoofer… that’s not a negative point on the audiolab, because choosing the right amp is all about compromises, and I like this flavour which is in contrast to my other setup with an arcam sa30.

To be honest you need to watch this: Marantz vs audiolab

Drugo

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
I tried the Audiolab 8300a yesterday and am still listening to it now… which is a good sign! It is like I’ve never heard my songs played with so much detail and it still manages to sound fun! If you are not sure what you want though, I’d get a used marantz pm8005 or similar because it is basically the same as the 8300a but with more character, bass extension and is made in Japan. I am thinking about for 40% of the songs would need a subwoofer… that’s not a negative point on the audiolab, because choosing the right amp is all about compromises, and I like this flavour which is in contrast to my other setup with an arcam sa30.

To be honest you need to watch this: Marantz vs audiolab
hi
well good to know it
about marantz many of them do sound like denon with less bass e silk trebles but i don't like some plastic on the frontal and cheap knobs
about the audiolab i don't like the power button on the back
about denon what do you think? they are really great amps ,with lots of history
thanks

odub1

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
hi
well good to know it
about marantz many of them do sound like denon with less bass e silk trebles but i don't like some plastic on the frontal and cheap knobs
about the audiolab i don't like the power button on the back
about denon what do you think? they are really great amps ,with lots of history
thanks
Never tried Denon, but I think they have partnered with Marantz for a long time so I wouldn’t expect them to have metal knobs on cheaper gear. I think if you want that amazing build quality you need to get an Audio Analogue (made in Italy), and possibly drive there to get one or risk getting scammed… My dad managed to find a Polish dealer who sells European stuff for half price… I’m not sure I’m allowed to tell you on here who he is but just look out for lone internet dealers who undercut the Hifi retail store market, because it’s actually the European (and other Western) dealer networks who literally double the price of European gear more than it is the manufacturing R&D and labour costs… 🤦

Drugo

Jan 14, 2024
Visit site
Never tried Denon, but I think they have partnered with Marantz for a long time so I wouldn’t expect them to have metal knobs on cheaper gear. I think if you want that amazing build quality you need to get an Audio Analogue (made in Italy), and possibly drive there to get one or risk getting scammed… My dad managed to find a Polish dealer who sells European stuff for half price… I’m not sure I’m allowed to tell you on here who he is but just look out for lone internet dealers who undercut the Hifi retail store market, because it’s actually the European (and other Western) dealer networks who literally double the price of European gear more than it is the manufacturing R&D and labour costs… 🤦
hi
I have tried Marantz pm8005 and for my ears it does sound bit better than Marantz PM6007 ,but i'm talking about 1 little step better not worth for the money,with several speakers
seems there is a little step betweem them , don't you think ?
thansk

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

odub1

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
I haven’t heard the pm8005 just yet but I assumed it would be much much better than the 6007 based on how close the 8005 is to the audiolab 8300a (see video I linked).

That’s nice to know because I know my pm6005 is more than a couple steps lower than my audiolab 8300a, but it could be because my wharfedale speakers are rated 120W 😂 so they were missing current output that maybe the newer pm6007 model has.
hi
I have tried Marantz pm8005 and for my ears it does sound bit better than Marantz PM6007 ,but i'm talking about 1 little step better not worth for the money,with several speakers
seems there is a little step betweem them , don't you think ?
thansk

I can tell you that for power hungry wharfedale speakers, going to an 80W amp from a 50W (or thereabouts) is very very worth it, but possibly the Audiolab 8300a is worth a demo in case it’s a lot better than the 8005?? I doubt it because the guy in the video seems to think they’re on the same level as each other. I can tell you the physical look of the amp when you get up and personal is actually very nice (on the Audiolab). The knobs feel metal too (I’m not 100%), but they do feel looser than on the marantz.

TRENDING THREADS