Marantz PM6005 Phono Stage - What are your thoughts

CS85

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently started purchasing the various pieces of equipment for my new system and I was hoping I could hear some thoughts about the phono stage in the PM6005 from a few people that own it. I'm looking at hooking up a Rega RP3 Turntable and since budget is tight, I really can't afford a seperate phono stage just yet. Does the Marantz integrated phono stage do a good job?

Regards,

Chris

CS85 said:
Hi all,

I've recently started purchasing the various pieces of equipment for my new system and I was hoping I could hear some thoughts about the phono stage in the PM6005 from a few people that own it. I'm looking at hooking up a Rega RP3 Turntable and since budget is tight, I really can't afford a seperate phono stage just yet. Does the Marantz integrated phono stage do a good job?

Regards,

Chris

In a word: YES.

Marantz along with Arcam, Rotel and Rega generally produce fantastic built-in phono stages.

I remember having a conversation with John Duncan on here a few years ago... I hijacked someones thread. Anyway, he suggested that a budget phono stage such as a Cambridge or Pro-ject wouldn't improve on my old Arcam built-in jobbie.

Some weeks later I put it to the test, and decided that NO improvement could be heard. The only option was to go higher up the ladder, but with a budget amp it would probably be an overkill, given the other components i was using at the time.

I would suggest the same for you: Stick with the built-in stage. They're all very good.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought an ADL GT40 to act as an external phono stage so I could record my albums to computer (or rip them as the kids say). It's a £400 bit of kit and admitedly not all of the money is spent on the phono stage but the MM stage gets good reviews. I tried it against my existing Marantz built in stage and the only difference I could detect was colour (the Marantz had a touch more mid-range, the ADL a little cooler).

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thats one thing i wish my marantz had was a phono stage as i had to spend another 80 or so on mine, but i,m sure the marantz 6005 would be good enough, marantz are a fine brand

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts