Marantz pm6004

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI

I am planning buying the marantz pm6004 Amp,just wondering if anyone can recommend speakers about the £150-£250 mark was thinking wharfdales??...Any suggestions..thanks..

matthewpiano

The Marantz is quite easy to partner and there are many excellent speakers available within your budget. I would suggest auditioning the following as a starting point:

Dali Zensor 1

Monitor Audio BX2

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

I particularly like the Dali Zensor 1s. Very clean sound but one that is cohesive and immersive. The Diamond 10.1s are not all that different sounding overall but with slightly more bass and slightly less clarity. The MAs are a very balanced speaker and the best of the Bronze bookshelf models so far. They work superbly well with Marantz amplification.

A

Anonymous

I've just had exactly the same dilemma Alzi so should hopefully be able to help.

Just ordered my pm/cd6004 for collection in 4 days and have undergone thorough sound testing with a few sets of speakers.

First up were the the Kef q300. Heard rave reviews and was expecting big things from them but I was fairly underwhelmed to be honest. I thought they were very lacking in bass and also, due to the tweeter being positioned in the middle of the cone, I felt the mid-range and treble could occasionally become slightly muddled. They didn't sound terrible by any stretch, just didn't do enough to warrant the acclaim they're receiving in my view.

Next up was the budget option, Q Acoustics 2020i. I didn't listen to these for very long as I thought they were awful. How they managed to get 5 stars in What Hifi, i'll never know. Perhaps I'm being overly critical as I listened to them immediately after the Kefs which cost three times as much but they just don't do the amp justice.

3rd listen was some Monitor Audio Bronze BX2's. These instantly impressed me with their all round ability, easily outdoing the Kef for bass and, in my opinion, giving them a good run for their money in mid-range and treble. For a speaker costing 200quid less this is quite an achievement. After listening I placed my order straight away and left Sevenoaks with a spring in my step.

There was, however, a nagging doubt. I'd initially ruled out the rear bass ported Silver RX range because I was having to wall mount the speakers to keep my wife happy :wall: but managed to convince her that stands will look great in the living room! :grin:

So back to the shop to test the RX1s. AWESOME!:clap: If you can stretch your budget at all these are the way to go. They do everything the BX2s do, just better. That's not to say the BX2s aren't great too because they are, it's just that you can tell where the extra 175quid has gone. The bass is a good bit fuller and tighter and the treble has a more natural sound. To give examples, Coldplay's Myloxyloto album could appear ever so slightly too bright with the BX2s but wasn't a problem with the RX1s. Liam Gallagher's Rasping vocals have that little bit extra bite as well and the Noel's guitar sounds that little bit more epic.

So to conclude: Save a little longer, work overtime, wash cars and cut lawns, stop giving your kids pocket money, whatever it takes!! If you do, you'll be celebrating the decision for a long time to come.:cheers: And the kids will forgive you in time ;)

Best of luck, John.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replys..have ordered the amp looking forward to getting it home

Thanks johnbhoy67 for taking time to write all that info,i have read good write ups about the Rx1s so i think i will go for them...... Thanks again.. :)

A

Anonymous

I used to own the Marantz PM7001 which I paired it with Kef IQ3, the combination was good for me in overall tonality.

A

Anonymous

If you are planning to buy the Marantz Pm 6004 it is simple - Don't! :read:

I have PM 6003 and my guess it that the new version is no better, even if it is claimed to be. Experience with other Marantz amp's shows you cannot trust them in making you amp. Make no mistake, just as the previous versions (all of them) the 600X will be unengaging with lots of noise (which is audiable on good speakers) and heavy sound coloration. Low in features, sterile in dynamics and low in power. :shame:

Start with some NAD which you can afford (NAD makes no-bs amps) and if you have the time and possibility to audition, take something else *only* if you can hear it and it sounds better. For a Marantz to sound better to a NAD it would take at least one step up in price, but I doubt even that. :cheers:

PS. Never owned or lstened to any of the hign-end Marantz amp's and it's possible they are at a different level of performance, but I'll beleive it only after I hear it with my own ears.

A

Anonymous

...have ordered the amp looking forward to getting it home

well, I was a bit late, sorry, hope you enjoy your music and have a good time listening to it

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The PM6004 is a great amp...........for the money it's amazing.

The Nad C326 is good but not as good as the Marantz. Bass is just too much............

ngoquangbach

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Cypher said:
The PM6004 is a great amp...........for the money it's amazing.

The Nad C326 is good but not as good as the Marantz. Bass is just too much............

How about the PM6003 compare with PM6004 and Nad C326? My opinion Marantz has a little soft bass so I think Nad is better as Nad has more bass as your comment.

matthewpiano

techeteri said:

I have PM 6003 and my guess it that the new version is no better, even if it is claimed to be. Experience with other Marantz amp's shows you cannot trust them in making you amp. Make no mistake, just as the previous versions (all of them) the 600X will be unengaging with lots of noise (which is audiable on good speakers) and heavy sound coloration. Low in features, sterile in dynamics and low in power. :shame:

Start with some NAD which you can afford (NAD makes no-bs amps) and if you have the time and possibility to audition, take something else *only* if you can hear it and it sounds better. For a Marantz to sound better to a NAD it would take at least one step up in price, but I doubt even that. :cheers:

PS. Never owned or lstened to any of the hign-end Marantz amp's and it's possible they are at a different level of performance, but I'll beleive it only after I hear it with my own ears.

I couldn't disagree more. I have owned several amps by both Marantz and NAD, and I think they are very much equals. I am currently using a C326BEE and I think it is an excellent amp, but I'd be just as happy with a PM6004.

A

Anonymous

Well, the PM 6003 was a great amp - correct? And now the Pm 6004 is *even* better? Heh, the old one was perfect, but Marantz managed somehow to improve on top of that. Does that seem like logic? :))

The *only* way to listen to the Marantz is with "Source Direct" switched "on" because otherwise the noise is just annoying. The "Loundess" non-sense, even the presence of such non-sense already speaks tons about what Marantz think about its own amp. And I agree with them, toothless, no bass, no dynamic and involvment. To me failing to recognise the amp is only useful is end of the discussion because if you are OK with PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTSSSSSS then I guess it will be pointless to continue. Good for playing fairy tales, not for audiophile to brag about :))

As commonly recognized, NAD boasting 45 Wpc will have more like 60-70 Wpc. And Marantz with 45 Wpc makes it to 15-20 Wpc real power. So there you go comparing 60 Wpc to 20 Wpc - not a good start for the Marantz. On the strong side the Marantz has good details in the mids and this would be awesome had there be no noise so that you can actually plug good speakers to it. Unfortunately this is not the case. One can even make a good point that for the price the high and low register is quite in the norm and it would be matter of personal taste and like. That's OK with me too, I actually like the resolution and the idea to have crisp mid-range sound. There's a little bit too much distortion too, but I could cope with it too.

However, when it comes to articulation and macro-dynamics the Marantz is dead in the water, it just wipes out all of the advantages, it doesn't kick, it doesn't bite, it doesn't involve you are listening to a remote music, it you want the Marantz never gets personal enough.

Very good amp for a 5-year old. Not an audiophile gear we are talking about.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
techeteri said:
Well, the PM 6003 was a great amp - correct? And now the Pm 6004 is *even* better? Heh, the old one was perfect, but Marantz managed somehow to improve on top of that. Does that seem like logic? :))

The *only* way to listen to the Marantz is with "Source Direct" switched "on" because otherwise the noise is just annoying. The "Loundess" non-sense, even the presence of such non-sense already speaks tons about what Marantz think about its own amp. And I agree with them, toothless, no bass, no dynamic and involvment. To me failing to recognise the amp is only useful is end of the discussion because if you are OK with PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTSSSSSS then I guess it will be pointless to continue. Good for playing fairy tales, not for audiophile to brag about :))

As commonly recognized, NAD boasting 45 Wpc will have more like 60-70 Wpc. And Marantz with 45 Wpc makes it to 15-20 Wpc real power. So there you go comparing 60 Wpc to 20 Wpc - not a good start for the Marantz. On the strong side the Marantz has good details in the mids and this would be awesome had there be no noise so that you can actually plug good speakers to it. Unfortunately this is not the case. One can even make a good point that for the price the high and low register is quite in the norm and it would be matter of personal taste and like. That's OK with me too, I actually like the resolution and the idea to have crisp mid-range sound. There's a little bit too much distortion too, but I could cope with it too.

However, when it comes to articulation and macro-dynamics the Marantz is dead in the water, it just wipes out all of the advantages, it doesn't kick, it doesn't bite, it doesn't involve you are listening to a remote music, it you want the Marantz never gets personal enough.

Very good amp for a 5-year old. Not an audiophile gear we are talking about.

Right, I'm sorry, but where do you get those numbers from? Are you talking dynamic power output or just calling both manufacturers liars? I've listened to both amps, and they are both very good. Depending on the speakers you are using them with, I'd say it's a pretty even match. But to say all Marantz amps are rubbish (which you are entitled to, your opinion) is no help to anybody really, and a lot of people seem to think it's a very good amp. Something like "I didn't like it with X speakers or Y source could help the OP in avoiding that, but just to call all of the 600X amps rubbish is a useless and in many people's opinions, unjustified claim.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
techeteri said:

So why did you buy it?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
"Very good amp for a 5-year old. Not an audiophile gear we are talking about"

I can't take you serious if you make comments like that.

A

Anonymous

So why did you buy it?

I have good experience with Marantz CD - players. It is well build, Marantz is very reliable in my experience.

It is quite appropriate for my daughters which are below 5 years.

In 5 more years (if you find sudden need to buy 2) I will have to give it away :)
and you PM600X fans will get ebay auction with starting price 1.00 :dance:

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
So presumably you didn't listen to it before you bought it.

That's not the amp's fault, that your's so take some responsibility. Personally I don't particularly like any of the NAD amps that I've heard; they do things with the bass which doesn't suit my ears but that doesn't mean it's a bad/awful/rubbish amp. There's a hell of a lot of people who love NAD as there are who love Marantz, so perhaps just have a little more respect for peoples preferences instead of trashing them for it.

A

Anonymous

So presumably you didn't listen to it before you bought it.

No, I didn't but I should've done it, you are correct.

Does that invalidate my opinion?

And if it does, how about the strong points which I made :)

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, what strong points?

Personally, I think the strength of ones argument comes from a combination of the efficiency and sensetivity with which it's conveyed, and the facts or reasons used to support such an argument.

You're claim that "all Marantz amps are bad" has neither of those. The evidence is seemingly either poorly conveyed reason or just made up.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and your's is as valid as anyones (and hi-fi probably divides opinion more than politics!)

Okay, the Marantz doesn't suit you. I have the CD6003/PM6003 combo (boxed at the moment), and have had probably 18-months of immense listening pleasure from it, usually hooked up to a pair of Dali Lektor 1's. Suited perfectly for my listening tastes and environment; nicely detailed, slight tad on the warm side, and very musical( to my ears, of course). Wouldn't suit everybody, but it's me that's listening to it and gaining the enjoyment. If NAD does it for you that's fine, it's just that the Marantz (to my ears!) does it better. Chill.

A

Anonymous

your claim that "all Marantz amps are bad"

No, I only calimed the low-end Marantz are bad :) not the high end.

I am still interested in Marantz high-end and as a proof I will try to go to one shop and listen to it :) next few weeks and if I like it will be... difficult dilemma :grin:

Edit - talking about the Marantz S11 second edition

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts