Marantz pm6004 pairing

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

Pretty keen on getting a Marantz pm6004 for christmas and then in the next few months saving up for some new speakers to replace my budget Wharfedale diamond 9.1's.

But my question is shall I go for the recent award winning tannoy mercury v4's? Or would there be a better speaker option at a similar price point for rock and Drum and Bass?

Any suggestions on different amps would also be greatly appreciated, I will most definitely go and demo these speakers before buying but would love a rough idea to start with.

Cheers,

Josh.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Josh

If you're used to the Wharfedales for your type of music, I think it'd be worth you looking at other Wharfedales like the Diamond 10.4, as they do tend to be plentiful in the bass area. The V4's will also be worth looking at too, which you'll find a more balanced speaker than your 9.1's.

vale46 said:
Hi guys,

Pretty keen on getting a Marantz pm6004 for christmas and then in the next few months saving up for some new speakers to replace my budget Wharfedale diamond 9.1's.

But my question is shall I go for the recent award winning tannoy mercury v4's? Or would there be a better speaker option at a similar price point for rock and Drum and Bass?

Any suggestions on different amps would also be greatly appreciated, I will most definitely go and demo these speakers before buying but would love a rough idea to start with.

Cheers,

Josh.

Hi Josh

What source component/s and amp are you currently using please? Your impression/thoughts of your current system are?

The size of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Is there anything in particular you would like the new amplifier to have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

Your general listening level?

Your maximum budget?

With a new amp and speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Ok cheers, will definitely have a look at those wharfedales ,

josh

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick

I was given an old creek 5050 amp by my Dad but he now wants this back hence my decision to buy a new amp. I basically run a belkin phono to headphone jack (3.5) out of the back of the amp staright into my laptop where i play my cd's and itunes etc.

My room is roughly 12ftx20ft and the room is lightly furnished

The speakers will be either side of a cabinet which is quite low holds games, cd's etc and my television on top. The left speaker will be in a corer about 30cm away from the side wall and 60cm or so from the back wall, the right speaker will be about two metres away form the left speaker, it will not be inn a corner and will be again 60cm or so away form the rear wall.

My current sytem is ok, but like I say I require new amp anyway and the diamonds just dont have the clarity and bass punch I would like at higher volumes

Nothing will be between myself and the speakers as they will be directly in front of my sofa about 5m away.

There are no particular features I need from the amp.

general listening level is medium to medium loud. I.e not full on blasting but still a reasonable level.

My budget for the amp is preferably 400 and the same again for the speakers although i will be able to strecth slightly if soomething really impresses me.

With my new system I would like to be able to push the speakers a bit more as i feel the diamonds don't handle loud volumes well. But, I listen to alot of different music so want a system that is relatively balanced and can handle manage different genres from The Red hot chilli's to Adele , to drum and bass etc.

Hope that covers what you asked, any advice is greatly appreciated!

cheers,

Josh

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Don't be surprised that when you get your amp the speakers get even better. Even the most modest but capable can cope with amp upgrades. Not sure just because an amp is upgraded then speakers have to be too. Although that doesn't mean they def will go. I changed my amp to what I have now and it sounded awful with my then speakers (B &W CM7). If your budget is 400 for the amp and you go for a 6004, what about getting a DAC to sit between pc and amp, depending on your pcs connections.

A

Anonymous

Hi rick,

I would be happy To purchase used/discontinued products if they are the amp/speakers I decide I like!

Josh

A

Anonymous

If i Do get a new amp I will definitelty not be buying speakers straight away so i will be able to decide if I need them or not! Yes a dac seems like a good idea but doubt I will be able to afford anythig too expensive so will have to have a look around

vale46 said:
Hi rick,

I would be happy To purchase used/discontinued products if they are the amp/speakers I decide I like!

Josh

Hi Josh

Thanks for your reply.

Great :) As for amplifcation i'll highly recommend that you also consider Rotel's RA-1062 or a NAD C370. I've not compared these amplfiers directly with the PM6004 however based on what i've heard i would say that the RA-1062's and the C370's overall quality of power is likely to help the amplifiers maintain stability, grip and energize speakers more effectively at almost any comparable level compared to the PM6004 and the 5050. I feel you'll also find the RA-1062's and C370's (amongst their other qualities) detailed and particularly potent, dynamic and powerful sound to be an even more suited to when listening to rock, drum and bass :grin: You should be able to find a good used RA-1062 or a C370 for around £250 - £350.

In addition to the V4's, Monitor Audio's BX5's or even Dynaudio's DM 2/7's are also worth bearing in mind. If possible try and audition these speakers in your room.

What speaker cables will you be using please?

Btw, just to be clear i don't deal with used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts