Marantz PM6003 loose plate + Dali Ikon 1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

First post here; I hope I'm not asking too many questions!

I recently got hold of a Marantz PM6003 and am in the process of choosing matching speakers. I had the pleasure of listening to the Marantz with a pair of Dali Ikon 1's and enjoyed the level of detail produced. The only problem is that it seemed a bit light in the bass department. Does anyone have experience of any other speakers that would produce a similar sound, but with more bass? My budget is £450, I already have stands and front ported speakers would probably suit best. The obvious canditate would be Dali Lector 3's?

On a side note have any other 6003 owners noticed a small odd piece of loose plate (complete with matching vent holes) clipped to the top of the unit? Any idea what it is for?

Cheers

Oh and one more thing! At the moment I'm using a usb connection but would prefer an optical link. I've found the Chord optichord mini to full sized toshlink cable at £45. Are there any others? I'm a bit wary of the quality of some mini toshlink adapters.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
GForce1:
Hello,

First post here; I hope I'm not asking too many questions!

I recently got hold of a Marantz PM6003 and am in the process of choosing matching speakers. I had the pleasure of listening to the Marantz with a pair of Dali Ikon 1's and enjoyed the level of detail produced. The only problem is that it seemed a bit light in the bass department. Does anyone have experience of any other speakers that would produce a similar sound, but with more bass? My budget is £450, I already have stands and front ported speakers would probably suit best. The obvious canditate would be Dali Lector 3's?

On a side note have any other 6003 owners noticed a small odd piece of loose plate (complete with matching vent holes) clipped to the top of the unit? Any idea what it is for?

Cheers

Oh and one more thing! At the moment I'm using a usb connection but would prefer an optical link. I've found the Chord optichord mini to full sized toshlink cable at £45. Are there any others? I'm a bit wary of the quality of some mini toshlink adapters.

At this price range, if you can't/don't want floorstanders, I would suggest a subwoofer with the Dali's that you like. It was mentioned yesterday that you can get a Monitor Audio RSW12 for £349!! They were £750 (I paid £650 for mine) and they are fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Floorstanders would be out of the question and to be honest i've never even considered a sub. I'll give it some thought. Does anyone else have suggestions for standmounted speakers I should listen to?

I'd be interested to know if other 6003 owners have the same small piece of plate attached to their unit. Are there any other 6003 owners?

matthewpiano

I think the 6003 needs relatively neutral and clean sounding speakers. I would be inclined to audition the Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2s.

The Ikon 1s are excellent speakers BTW, and maybe you simply need to take time to adjust to them. They aren't as bassy as other designs but with good wall reinforcement they sound musically balanced, rhythmic and open. The Marantz is a little slow in the bass so might benefit from something as fleet-footed as the Dalis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts