Marantz PM6002. A couple of questions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I intend to try and get to hear the PM6002 amplifier soon but - apart from WHF - I cannot find any other online reviews so I need to ask here. (I don't recall seeing it in other mags either.)

Will it be a qualitative upgrade from the amp section of my Solo-Mini. (I know it's more powerful but I don't listen very loud anyway.)

Some WHF forum members (and the WHF review) have raised question marks about the Marantz PM6002 bass performance. Is this a serious problem? (I don't like boomy or uncontrolled or muddled bass. I would rather have 'rolled off' than bad sounding bass.)

Is the Marantz suited to very mixed listening? (Acoustic, pop, reggae, jazz, big band, speech, classical, internet radio, DVD soundtracks, downloads and lossless from iTunes and vinyl replay from my Rega P2.) About the only things I don't listen to are heavy-metal, 'concept albums' or large symphonic classical works. (Most of my fave classical is early/sacred/vocal/baroque.)

I am concerned it's popularity here may be due to having qualities that are not relevant to our normal listening. I only listen at moderate levels and don't need or appreciate 'slam' and 'grunt' as much as finesse and accuracy and a decent soundstage.

I will be also listening to the new NAD C326BEE and (maybe) the Arcam FMJ A18 again. (Did not like it first time around)

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
I intend to try and get to hear the PM6002 amplifier soon but - apart from WHF - I cannot find any other online reviews so I need to ask here. (I don't recall seeing it in other mags either.)

Will it be a qualitative upgrade from the amp section of my Solo-Mini. (I know it's more powerful but I don't listen very loud anyway.)

Some WHF forum members (and the WHF review) have raised question marks about the Marantz PM6002 bass performance. Is this a serious problem? (I don't like boomy or uncontrolled or muddled bass. I would rather have 'rolled off' than bad sounding bass.)

Is the Marantz suited to very mixed listening? (Acoustic, pop, reggae, jazz, big band, speech, classical, internet radio, DVD soundtracks, downloads and lossless from iTunes and vinyl replay from my Rega P2.) About the only things I don't listen to are heavy-metal, 'concept albums' or large symphonic classical works. (Most of my fave classical is early/sacred/vocal/baroque.)

I am concerned it's popularity here may be due to having qualities that are not relevant to our normal listening. I only listen at moderate levels and don't need or appreciate 'slam' and 'grunt' as much as finesse and accuracy and a decent soundstage.

I will be also listening to the new NAD C326BEE and (maybe) the Arcam FMJ A18 again. (Did not like it first time around)

Thanks.

Hi Chebby,

Not sure if the PM6002 will be a worthwhile qualitative upgrade on your Solo mini - I haven't heard the Solo, but I understand that they are well regarded.
Personally, I have no complaints over the bass performance - yes, more money will get you are more focussed bass performance and more punch, but it is certainly not loose or muddled, and with the right speakers, there is nothing to complain about.

I have found the amp to be a good all-rounder, suitable for the type of mixed listening you describe.

The last thing I would say is that at the current RRP, which I think is £320, the Marantz is certainly not the no-brainer it arguably was a year ago, when it was £100 less. Can you get an audition with your speakers? That way you can decide if it's a step up or a step sideways.

A

Anonymous

They are still in-stock for 220 at certain retailers (not many though).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
tractorboy:
Hi Chebby,
Not sure if the PM6002 will be a worthwhile qualitative upgrade on your
Solo mini - I haven't heard the Solo, but I understand that they are
well regarded.
Personally, I have no complaints over the bass performance - yes, more
money will get you are more focussed bass performance and more punch,
but it is certainly not loose or muddled, and with the right speakers,
there is nothing to complain about.
I have found the amp to be a good all-rounder, suitable for the type of
mixed listening you describe.
The last thing I would say is that at the current RRP, which I think is
£320, the Marantz is certainly not the no-brainer it arguably was a
year ago, when it was £100 less. Can you get an audition with your
speakers? That way you can decide if it's a step up or a step
sideways.

Thanks tractorboy.

Almost every time the subject of budget seperates vs Solo-mini has arisen on these forums, the overwhelming opinion always favours budget seperates so I assume there must be a good reason for this.

Fortunately the only 'seperate' I need now is an amp. My Solo-Mini was essential when I bought it almost a year ago. No space for seperates. Since then I have moved over to DAC/computer replay of most of my music. (With some vinyl.) I simply don't need a CD player any more.

I also have the new Panasonic DMR-EX78 DVD/HDD/Freeview recorder - connected via optical - to my DAC which results in excellent Freeview radio sound quality (better than DAB and so little difference with FM that the tuner section of my Solo-Mini is also redundant.)

Basically I am 'covered' (with backup) for CD replay via iTunes lossless rips - and via the Panasonic if the computer were down - and I am covered for good quality radio via the internet and from Freeview.

My budget is whatever I can sell the Solo-Mini for eventually (new ones are up to £750 now) plus a bit more if absolutely necessary. (If all my circa £325 options turn out to be unsatisfactory and I need to look at spending £500.)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Almost every time the subject of budget seperates vs Solo-mini has arisen on these forums, the overwhelming opinion always favours budget seperates so I assume there must be a good reason for this.

Yes, great-quality separates will typically outperform an all-in-one at the same price, and if someone with @£700 to spend asked which would deliver purely the best sound-per-pound performance, i'd suggest the Marantz pairing over the Solo Mini.

However, the Solo Mini is a superb system, so wouldn't expect the transition to a @£300 amp to net a massive upgrade in performance: only you and your ears can decide whether it's worth the move.

I'd strongly suggest you hear both the Marantz and the new NAD - as well as the Rotel RA-04 - before you buy.

John Duncan

I've heard both, and I would actually have the Arcam. (Did I say that out loud?). Try the 7001 though, it's much better than the 6002, and may be possible to get it at close to 6002 prices.......

Ditto the RA04 though, I love it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Also consider Pioneers A-A9J. Sold at good prices due to imminent replacements. I was pleasantly surprised at Bristol and would have thought a significant step up. USB in too though that may not be relevant to you. Looks good.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I've heard both, and I would actually have the Arcam. (Did I say that out loud?). Try the 7001 though, it's much better than the 6002, and may be possible to get it at close to 6002 prices.

For power or quality considerations John? I suppose the same logic could suggest an audition of the NAD C355BEE (instead of the C326BEE) would be better but I have to put a line in the sand somewhere otherwise I will end up with an amp way more powerful than I will ever need.

I heard the Arcam FMJ A18* with Focal Chorus 714s recently and it was a very soft mushy sound. That could be the speakers I suppose or just bad synergy.

*I assume by "I would actually have the Arcam" you did not mean the Solo-Mini but meant the Arcam FMJ A18.

A

Anonymous

Are you stuck on Marantz? With respect Chebby, I will give you an observed opinion if you could state your budget,

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Are you stuck on Marantz? With respect Chebby, I will give you an observed opinion if you could state your budget,

Not at all. (Never owned any marantz.)

Not 'stuck' on any brand. I have no loyalty in these matters.

T

the record spot

I'm not 'stuck' on Marantz either, but I think they make very good kit - not heard the 6002, but, if you can find a good used version of mine (6010KI) you'll be laughing. Unless you have some very tricky speakers to drive, it's a fine choice - a very transparent amp IMO with nice dynamics and a very open sound. Good sturdy build too and you ought to be able to get one for £150 or so.

The PM7001KI - as JD mentioned earlier - is another obvious step-up. I doubt there's a huge amount of night and day between it and the 6010KI. The feature count on the 7001 is slightly higher I think, defeatable tone controls might be an attraction, but I think you'd need to look at either of these two amps (or the levels they are at anyway) over the 6002 to improve on the Arcam's amp section.

Incidentally, you might find the Big Ears Audio site worth a look - big range of used and reasonably priced kit on there that might fit in with your budget.

A

Anonymous

Chebby, it depends on your choice of music. Outlaw me if I'm wrong but the given your situation I'll explain my opinion. The 6002 sounds pretty bothersome through both the DM and the Beresford. I'd go for the NAD at the price.

Though pay twice that and it'll be an investment for life.ÿ

chebby:

Octopo:Are you stuck on Marantz? With respect Chebby, I will give you an observed opinion if you could state your budget,

Not at all. (Never owned any marantz.)

Not 'stuck' on any brand. I have no loyalty in these matters.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but couldn't you have a demo and decide for yourself? From what you have written, you seem to have a real hankering for the Marantz - rightly so, if I had different speakers I would have one of the newer Marantz models too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Chebby, it depends on your choice of music. Outlaw me if I'm wrong but the given your situation I'll explain my opinion. The 6002 sounds pretty bothersome through both the DM and the Beresford. I'd go for the NAD at the price.

That's interesting. That would be a major (very major) problem for me. Thanks. (The Marantz also has a phono input stage that I don't need but would be paying for anyway.)

After reading so many excellent reviews of the C320BEE/C325BEE (and C315BEE) I am encouraged to hold out until I can hear the new NAD.

A

Anonymous

I believe you're interested in jazz/instruments/decisciveness/accuracy and that kind of thing? I'm going to say now a complete opposite of what I just said. The 6002 is an amazing sounding amp at the price. It's problem is it tries to be a little too precise, abstracting the quality from the 'human' value. It does sound good, listening to it is like listening to a Cyrus amp. It sounds good for a while...

It seems a shame to recommend a NAD for your experience though if you could only extend your budget to £800 you will have an amp for life.ÿ

John Duncan

chebby:I assume by "I would actually have the Arcam" you did not mean the Solo-Mini but meant the Arcam FMJ A18.

No, I meant the Solo, haven't heard the 18. Heard them both with Epos off the top of my head, and the Arcam was just a bit more natural at the relatively low volumes I listen to. Thought the Marantz was a bit constrained and got shouty when turned up, whereas the Arcam handled it better to my mind. I just think it's a really nice little unit for what it is, whereas I just haven't heard the Marantz sound good (to me) - maybe synergy again, given the review here.

I've heard NAD and Rotel in the same price range which I've really enjoyed (the RA04, couldn't tell you what the NAD was), and the 7001 was a real step up, very nice.

A

Anonymous

You'll have ÿto try very, very hard now JD. Even harder than GB ( I hadn't actually realised his initial are GB! )

John Duncan

(whoosh)
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I was auditioning speakers today and the store used the PM6002 for the demo per my request. I thought the amp sounded excellent - detailed, precise and powerful enough. To me it sounded even more powerful than my PM7001 but that could be due to larger speakers that I tried. Turning the volume beyond 10 o'clock would be impractical given considerations of neighbors.

Bass wasn't muddled... especially with MA RS6s. MA BR5s sounded good but RS6s really felt at home with massive punch and detail to boot. B&W 685s may not the best match - they sounded great at high volumes but struggled at low volumes.

I came away thinking that I could have almost as happy with PM6002. Its a cracking little amp and for the money, its great. I didn't put it up against 325BEE as the store didnt stock NADs.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The PM6002 is a good amp, much better than the PM7001. The PM7001 sounds slow and has no drive. With rockmusic it sounds horrible IMO. If you like a precise, accurate and detailed sound also try the Rotel RA-04, even better than the PM6002 IMO.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I disagree about the 7001 having no drive,I have the standard one and it shakes the walls, I listen with the tone contols bypassed too. My AE's lap it up . I preffered it over a nad c352 when I auditioned,The nad sounded dull with the AE evo3 ,might be a synergy thing.

A

Anonymous

Cypher:The PM6002 is a good amp, much better than the PM7001. The PM7001 sounds slow and has no drive. With rockmusic it sounds horrible IMO.

I can't say anything about PM 7001 since I've never listened to it, anyway my former PM 68 sounded just like that. In one word: innocuous. It's the kind of sound which can get boring over the long term; listen to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin or Metallica through that amp and you may fall asleep...
emotion-4.gif

PM6002 was exactly the kind of sound I was lookin for; it' s a good all rounder and it gave me a completely different experience with rock music.
emotion-19.gif

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I used to own a PM7001. When I bought the Rotel RA-04 I couldn't believe the improvement. A more powerful sound with lots of drive. The music was alive ! The PM7001 is a very boring amp compared to the RA-04.

A

Anonymous

Ok I wouldn't go so far to say that the PM6002 was better than my PM7001Ki-Sig as the demo was using RS6 speakers with Chord Rumor cable and a Marantz 6002 cd player (I use a computer). I haven't upgraded my cables yet and my speakers are BR2s - so it is an apples to oranged comparison.

Now I wish I tried the Rotel just for the heck of it...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok I am seeing things like this written regarding the different Marantz/Rotel amps recommended (or not)....!--
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;
mso-header-margin:36.0pt;
mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

".with massive punch"

".sounded great at high volumes but struggled at low
volumes."

"With rockmusic it sounds horrible IMO."

"I have the standard one and it shakes the walls."

".listen to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin or Metallica through
that amp.."

"A more powerful sound with lots of drive."

I think I am getting the message about what everyone (except maybe me) like about their amplifiers.

JD
came closest to understanding what I like and how I like to listen and
his observation was that my Solo-Mini could well be better than the
pm6002.

I have since come across a review (I cannot say who by)
where the Solo-Mini was used (more than) satisfactorily with Living
Voice Auditorium speakers (92db efficiency and £2100) so....

I think I am going to forget my budget amp 'upgrade' and save a bit longer and think about this.

Maybe
more efficient and better speakers could be a better upgrade
emotion-1.gif

(Although I can't afford Living Voice!) or maybe something liked a good
used or ex dem Sugden A21a.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS