Marantz pm 8005 with sa 8005 and matching speakers?

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I still like a cd player more than streaming ( no, no discussion). I have a Marantz pm 8005 amp. There is the SA 8005 sacd player. I have no sacd's. Mostly rock cd's. But sounds the sa 8005 better with cd's than the Rega Apollo R? I like the looks of the Marantz more than the Rega, but soundquality is most important.

loneranger said:
I still like a cd player more than streaming ( no, no discussion). I have a Marantz pm 8005 amp. There is the SA 8005 sacd player. I have no sacd's. Mostly rock cd's. But sounds the sa 8005 better with cd's than the Rega Apollo R? I like the looks of the Marantz more than the Rega, but soundquality is most important.

If you've no need for SACD playback the cheaper 6005 CD might be a better match for your amp.The Rega would be my choice though if you don't mind the mismatched looks.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I personally use the CD6005 with the PM8005 amp, and it's great.... However there are SA8005 users with our amp, who say it's dinstinctly better even with normal CD's. If you can afford it I'd get the SA8005.... I believe the SA8005 paired with PM8005 recently won a European award (not that that matters particularly). No idea about the rega

rainsoothe

+1 for Marantz. (note that I don't like Rega's electronics, though - heard the Dac R, Brio R and Osiris R and got absolutely nothing from them).

Also, if you can find a Naim CD5si at that price, it sounds great. Audiolab also has a lot of happy users. But again, to quote Vladimir from another thread, the Marantz SA8005 is unbeatable at its price.

D

Deleted member 108165

loneranger said:

If cash is not a problem then they're like twins so you've just gotta keep it a sibling thing *drinks* go for the SA8005.

FWIW, I would choose the Marantz. The difference in SQ between Rega and the Marantz, especially in isolation, would be minimal. And considering both Marantzes share the same looks, sonic compatibility and remote control, the Rega isn't worth it.

(To all Rega fanboys: I'm not saying the Apollo-R is rubbish - far from it.)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
+1 the marantz sacd marantz 8005 does sound better then the cd6005 even though it uses the same onboard dac not sure way but it does you should be able to pick one up at a good price too or secondhand.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
AntAxon said:
I have both the Marantz SA 8005 and the PM 8005 and I am really happy with the sound quality and build quality. I've not heard the Rega Apollo so I can't really comment on how good it is. But I do know you would not be disappointed in the SA 8005.

Al Ears suggested the PM 6005 and I'm sure its really good too and for around £300 you could not go wrong with it. One thing I like about the SA 8005 is that I can connect my lap top and play Tunein Radio and Spotify the the onboard DAC. I'm not sure the SA 6005 has that option. Also I do have few SACD's so its a nice extra feature to have.

i think you mean CD6005.... This does have a USB input, not sure about connectivity to PC as never tried it, but does connect to iPod / iPhone.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. I will go for the SA 8005.

I also look at speakers. I think the B&W 685S2 or the Kef R300. But i heard the 683S2 and didn't like it. So i think the 686s2 are the same? I found the tweeter irritating with rock. But are the Marantz pm 8005 a good match with the kef?

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I have both the Marantz SA 8005 and the PM 8005 and I am really happy with the sound quality and build quality. I've not heard the Rega Apollo so I can't really comment on how good it is. But I do know you would not be disappointed in the SA 8005.

Al Ears suggested the CD 6005 and I'm sure its really good too and for around £300 you could not go wrong with it. One thing I like about the SA 8005 is that I can connect my lap top and play Tunein Radio and Spotify the the onboard DAC. I'm not sure the CD 6005 has that option. Also I do have few SACD's so its a nice extra feature to have.

rainsoothe

plastic penguin said:
FWIW, I would choose the Marantz. The difference in SQ between Rega and the Marantz, especially in isolation, would be minimal. And considering both Marantzes share the same looks, sonic compatibility and remote control, the Rega isn't worth it.

(To all Rega fanboys: I'm not saying the Apollo-R is rubbish - far from it.)

I'm not saying its bad either, just that I, personally, don'y like it :)

OP: I heard the Kef R300 and they were pretty dull for me. Note that I DON'T like a bright sound, I'm all for warm speakers, but they didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the Rotel RA1520's fault, but hey.

You should audition Kef LS50, Focal Aria 906 and maybe Dynaudio stuff. Also XTZ 93.23 mkII - i know they're cheap, but boy, do these make an amazing sound. And also sound great with Marantz.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
But isnt Focal like Monitor Audio a very bright sounding speaker? In the past i've heard the MA RX 6. With my music i loved it, very enthousiastic but it was too bright and cold sounding. I know the Kef R300 are on the dull side. But i think better this than a speaker which sounds with rock too bright. First choice was the B&W 685S2. Not heard, but i didn't like the 683S2. Also no B&W.

Don't know how the MA Silver 2 sounds.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
loneranger said:
But isnt Focal like Monitor Audio a very bright sounding speaker? In the past i've heard the MA RX 6. With my music i loved it, very enthousiastic but it was too bright and cold sounding. I know the Kef R300 are on the dull side. But i think better this than a speaker which sounds with rock too bright. First choice was the B&W 685S2. Not heard, but i didn't like the 683S2. Also no B&W.

On other threads that i have r series and they are far from dull.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
loneranger said:

On other threads that i have r series and they are far from dull.

Yes, but The R300 really sounds dull compare with the R500. But what i say, better this than a speaker who sound harsh and bright. Most other speakers are too bright for me with my music. Dynaudio too.

rainsoothe

The Marantz PM8005 is a pretty warm sounding amp. Indeed, Focals are usually bright, but the Aria series are a bit different - the tweeters are detailed but smooth. Focal Chorus and Electra are the ones that sound a bit harsh, if partnered incorrectly (focal Electra sounded amazing on Jadis Orchestra tube amp, but not so great on Naim Uniti 2). Anyways, try to audition. If I remember right, Dynaudio 2/7 sound warm and with smooth highs, but care that you don't make your system sound too rich. I, for one, would look at the XTZs or Kef LS50.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Sa8005 is definately worth the extra money even if are playing normal cds.

i upgraded from 6005 to 8005 and the improvement in sq is quite remarkable.
I don't know why but you are correct.

Chris

Overenginered and built to higher standards. More discrete amplification circuitry (HDAM) instead of opamps. Does it translate to better sound? I doubt it's something spectacular like night and day difference in cables.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
The Marantz PM8005 is a pretty warm sounding amp. Indeed, Focals are usually bright, but the Aria series are a bit different - the tweeters are detailed but smooth. Focal Chorus and Electra are the ones that sound a bit harsh, if partnered incorrectly (focal Electra sounded amazing on Jadis Orchestra tube amp, but not so great on Naim Uniti 2). Anyways, try to audition. If I remember right, Dynaudio 2/7 sound warm and with smooth highs, but care that you don't make your system sound too rich. I, for one, would look at the XTZs or Kef LS50.

i wouldn't describe the pm8005 as warm, it's pretty neutral TBH. I would think twice about pairing it with a bright speaker, but wouldn't rule it out, just make sure I would audition first.

pairing the marantz with KEF seems to be a common and successful partnership

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
well anything dali works well with marantz i am into rock & metal music i am useing the dali optcon 6s floorstanding and they sound good with this kind of music or any kind of music i found that book shelf speakers just did not cut it with low down deep base the pmc 21s will go low like floorstanding speakers but they are £1400 or so the LS50s are good but not sure what they sound like with metal music .

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Covenanter said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Sa8005 is definately worth the extra money even if are playing normal cds.

i upgraded from 6005 to 8005 and the improvement in sq is quite remarkable.
I don't know why but you are correct.

Chris

Overenginered and built to higher standards. More discrete amplification circuitry (HDAM) instead of opamps. Does it translate to better sound? I doubt it's something spectacular like night and day difference in cables.

there you are............

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I've heard the kef ls50. For me it has no body, too shrill and not warm. Maybe i must listen with my amp to the b&w 685s2 and also to the ma silver 2. Floorstander are no option for my difficult room. Never heard Dali.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts