• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Marantz pm 5005 Blown Left Channel?

Rowan1981

New member
Sep 5, 2016
4
0
0
As the title suggests, it would appear that the left channel on my just over 1 year old pm5005 has blown... :(

When I place my ear very close to the left speaker there is still a very faint sound coming from the left channel.

I have been through basic troubleshooting steps to see if it was an issue with the left speaker by swapping the left speaker to the right channel which worked . Also changed over the speaker cables just in case that might have been the issue.

I guess there isn't any more troubleshooting steps that I can go through unless I open up the Amplifier? If it is a blown channel then would this be a cheap fix ? or is it something that I could possibly fix myself?

Thanks

P.S the Warranty has already exprired as it only came with 1 year. so sending it back to the store is not an option.
 

Blacksabbath25

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2015
308
85
10,970
Rowan1981 said:
As the title suggests, it would appear that the left channel on my just over 1 year old pm5005 has blown... :(

When I place my ear very close to the left speaker there is still a very faint sound coming from the left channel.

I have been through basic troubleshooting steps to see if it was an issue with the left speaker by swapping the left speaker to the right channel which worked . Also changed over the speaker cables just in case that might have been the issue.

I guess there isn't any more troubleshooting steps that I can go through unless I open up the Amplifier? If it is a blown channel then would this be a cheap fix ? or is it something that I could possibly fix myself?

Thanks

P.S the Warranty has already exprired as it only came with 1 year. so sending it back to the store is not an option.
so you change speaker to the bad channel and it worked have I got that correct ? If I am correct then I would say it’s the speaker not the amplifier that is the issue here .

but if I am wrong where did you buy the amplifier because I would take it back to the dealer to be fixed if you think it’s worth getting fixed as I am unsure what the charges would be to fix it if a channel that has gone but I would not recommend taking lid of to see if you can fix it as there only the amp fuse to change and that’s it .
 

Rowan1981

New member
Sep 5, 2016
4
0
0
Hi Sorry if I was not clear. What I meant to say was I changed the left speaker from the channel that was not working to the right channel that is fine and the speaker was working on the right channel.
 

Rowan1981

New member
Sep 5, 2016
4
0
0
Blacksabbath25 said:
Rowan1981 said:
As the title suggests, it would appear that the left channel on my just over 1 year old pm5005 has blown... :(

When I place my ear very close to the left speaker there is still a very faint sound coming from the left channel.

I have been through basic troubleshooting steps to see if it was an issue with the left speaker by swapping the left speaker to the right channel which worked . Also changed over the speaker cables just in case that might have been the issue.

I guess there isn't any more troubleshooting steps that I can go through unless I open up the Amplifier? If it is a blown channel then would this be a cheap fix ? or is it something that I could possibly fix myself?

Thanks

P.S the Warranty has already exprired as it only came with 1 year. so sending it back to the store is not an option.
so you change speaker to the bad channel and it worked have I got that correct ? If I am correct then I would say it’s the speaker not the amplifier that is the issue here .

but if I am wrong where did you buy the amplifier because I would take it back to the dealer to be fixed if you think it’s worth getting fixed as I am unsure what the charges would be to fix it if a channel that has gone but I would not recommend taking lid of to see if you can fix it as there only the amp fuse to change and that’s it .
I bought the amplifier here in Thailand where I currently live. seems that nearly all HiFi electonics and speakers all come with a one year Warranty which has now passed. I'm just trying to figure out how it could have happned and what are the chnaces of it being fixed without spending a huge ammount on it.

Pretty disapointed with Marantz considering the amplifier is only a bit over a year old and has been looked after well with no heavy use!
 

Feral

New member
Nov 19, 2008
45
1
0
i had a similar issue with my current amp in that the left channel was barely audible. Does the channel kick in if you raise the volume at all to a reasonable level?

I fixed my issue using contact cleaner but if you are getting nothing then might be blown. Although you may not have heavy use Thailand can be humid so might be worth using contact cleaner to see if that makes any improvement and an inexpensive task before say going down the repair or replace route.
 

Rowan1981

New member
Sep 5, 2016
4
0
0
Feral said:
i had a similar issue with my current amp in that the left channel was barely audible. Does the channel kick in if you raise the volume at all to a reasonable level?

I fixed my issue using contact cleaner but if you are getting nothing then might be blown. Although you may not have heavy use Thailand can be humid so might be worth using contact cleaner to see if that makes any improvement and an inexpensive task before say going down the repair or replace route.

Does the channel kick in if you raise the volume at all to a reasonable level? I will try that later on this evening and see if I notice a difference.

I fixed my issue using contact cleaner. Where exacly did you apply the contact cleaner?

Cheers
 

Rowan1981

New member
Sep 5, 2016
4
0
0
Feral said:
i had a similar issue with my current amp in that the left channel was barely audible. Does the channel kick in if you raise the volume at all to a reasonable level?

I fixed my issue using contact cleaner but if you are getting nothing then might be blown. Although you may not have heavy use Thailand can be humid so might be worth using contact cleaner to see if that makes any improvement and an inexpensive task before say going down the repair or replace route.
Does the channel kick in if you raise the volume at all to a reasonable level? I will try that later on this evening and see if I notice a difference.

I fixed my issue using contact cleaner. Where exacly did you apply the contact cleaner?

Cheers
 

Feral

New member
Nov 19, 2008
45
1
0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwDBWO0izQo

I focussed on the volume and balance controls although mine are mainly sealed so hard to get the cleaner in but worked for me.
 

Tannoyed

Well-known member
Aug 6, 2014
6
1
10,520
Hello

Is the sound from the faulty channel distorted or clean albeit very quiet. It seems unlikely that the output stage has blown if there is no distortion. Sounds like the pre-amp stages may be the problem. Does this amp have mechanical input selectors or does it use push buttons? Do those push buttons operate relays to do the switching (do you hear a clicking sound when selecting another input) e.g .as per Roksan.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS