marantz pm 5004 or marantz pm 6005?

I have bought few days ago Q Acoustics 2050i and I am looking for a good amplifier to match them.

Marantz pm6005 seems a very good choice for these speakers but I have found a new pm5004 (old stock item) half price

of pm6005. Considering that more than 90% of the music I play at my house

is based upon LPs and my Thorens turntable what do you propose to buy, PM6005 or PM5004?

I am a newbie in Hi-Fi so any feedback should very helpful and highly appreciated.

rainsoothe

hi

Did you audition the Q Acoustics with any particular amp - and how did you like the sound? What is your room size (i'm assuming it's pretty big), the 2050i need quite some space, you shouldn't place them close to walls. Thirdly, ideally, you'll audition for yourself and let your ears decide, I can't stress how important this is. Now, the Q Acoustics are known to need an exciting sounding amp behind them, the 2050i being rather subtle sounding - I would suggest a Denon PMA 720 AE. But a Marantz could work as well, I guess - I would go for PM6005 or 6004 (which is the 6005's predecessor, no DAC though), but not 5004. Or, if you could find a Rega Brio-R to fit your budget, it might be just what you're looking for.

thanks for your quick response

Yes, I tested some speakers with some amplifiers in a shop in Athens and based my own experience I am pretty sure that Q Acoustics 2050i & pm6005 is the best choice for my budget. I bought Q Acoustics but I did not buy pm6005 because silver pm6005 is not available right now in my country, due to capital controls we have these days in Greece and it's pretty difficult for the companies to import new products. So, the last days I am looking for the best on-line price of pm6005 and that's how I found the half price pm5004.

My livingroom where the hifi system will be located, is about 16 square meters. So my question is for my 16 sq. meters living room, how much inferior - in terms of "listening experience" - will be the performance of pm5004 & Q2050i versus the pm6005 & Q2050i, considering that more than 90% of the playback time will be based upon my Thorens turntable?

I know that it is critical Q2050i to have free space for better performance and obviously I will be complied with the best practices of Q 2050i.

Thank you very much

rainsoothe

sorry, man, haven't heard the 5004, only heard the 6004 and 6005 - 5004 is supposed to be cheaper, especially since it's lower tier and older generation as well. With them Q Acoustics I would seriouisly consider Cambridge Audio CXA60, but if you like the liquidy Marantz, go for it - just don't know about the 5004, sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts