Marantz Pearl Lite and Dynaudio Excite X12

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I going for a demo and was wondering if Marantz Pearl Lite cdp and amp with the Dyn x12s would be a good combination. Not sure what other speakers to try as they don't stock Kefs.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

If what i've saw is correct the Marantz has 70w at 8ohm and 100w at 4ohm i think it will be enough for the X12, as they were made to be the easiest Dyns to drive, my Brio R is only 50w at 8ohm and it does a wonderfull job!

The X12 (my opinion) are the moust neutral, transparent speakers that i've demo, a seet seet mid range, perfect with voices and unplugged instruments, the Dyns are detailded, precise and you can almoust ear what the singer is thinking and a strong deeeeep and fast bass response!

And yes, there is a new range, it's been told ( in Dynaudio web page) that this new model is even easier to drive as they are rated at 8ohm and 82db sensibility ... :?

Let us se what the first review say about the new X14, X34 and X38!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi

If what i've saw is correct the Marantz has 70w at 8ohm and 100w at 4ohm i think it will be enough for the X12, as they were made to be the easiest Dyns to drive, my Brio R is only 50w at 8ohm and it does a wonderfull job!

The X12 (my opinion) are the moust neutral, transparent speakers that i've demo, a seet seet mid range, perfect with voices and unplugged instruments, the Dyns are detailded, precise and you can almoust ear what the singer is thinking and a strong deeeeep and fast bass response!

And yes, there is a new range, it's been told ( in Dynaudio web page) that this new model is even easier to drive as they are rated at 8ohm and 82db sensibility ... :?

Thanks. I see the x12s are not very sensitive, how are they at low volumes?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi

Thanks. I see the x12s are not very sensitive, how are they at low volumes?

Some times i do wonder what the fuss is all about with the Excite X12! I've as well a pair of MA RS1 and the Brio R drive with ease bouth.

I've write many time in this forum that I get up often to check if the sub is off, the Dyns at very low volume have a present and deep bass, at 1 or 2 o'clock.

I know what the X12 can handle, and they will apreciate more power, i know what they are capable of doing, i've demo them with a pre/power Naim combo, the quality of the amplification can do wonders, they will desapear in the back ground. That is how good they are!!!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the demo is over, I did not like the Dyn X12s. They were detailed yes but they were cool side of neatral but the treble was very forward, you noticed it on every recording also strings to me did not sound natural. I found them similar to the PMC DB1s. So sorry to me they were not very musical, disappointing. Music I played was 70s rock, 50/60s jazz, classical,and female/male vocals.

I also heard some Tannoys 6.1s were were the opposite I suppose, warm but a bit woolly in the bass department.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Well the demo is over, I did not like the Dyn X12s. They were detailed yes but they were cool side of neatral but the treble was very forward, you noticed it on every recording also strings to me did not sound natural. I found them similar to the PMC DB1s. So sorry to me they were not very musical, disappointing. Music I played was 70s rock, 50/60s jazz, classical,and female/male vocals.

I also heard some Tannoys 6.1s were were the opposite I suppose, warm but a bit woolly in the bass department.

What was the amp and the source ?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:

Sorry to hear that didn't work. But the journey continues ...

Have you tried any Neat or Proac speakers? Detailed but quite a bit warmer than PMC. Or if you want to go even warmer (or to be exact 'darker'), I'd recommend the speakers in my sig below.

Matt

BigH said:

Could it be the acoustics of the room is naff? Think you'll need to hear those Dyns in your own room before catagorically dismissing them. From how you described those bears no relation to my experience of Dyns, unless they have changed the signature dramatically.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The source/amp were the Marantz Pearl Lite as in the title. I also tried the Tannoy 6.1s which were almost the opposite to the Dyns, pleasant easy listening but too warm and woolly esp. on bass and a bit dull. The journey has ended as I also heard the AVI 9RSS these were so much better than any other combo I have heard, they were very accurate, soundsound was very precise, even on old recordings such as 1950s jazz they were fine, vocals are very life like as though the persons in the room, not so much bass as the Dyns or Tannoys but very controlled no boominess even on tracks like Squonk on Trick of the Tail. So after hearing about 14 different speakers mostly in the £500-£1,000 range, for me the AVIs were the best then the Kef LS50s.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thats why there are so many speakers on the market, all of the with diferent accoustic signature, for me the Dyns are the speakers that provide me with the most realistic sond, no colorations, no softines when there is mone, bad recordings will always be a bad recording with the Dynaudio X12, ao good recordind will sound superb! For me that is a neutral speaker and a accurate speaker.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Thats why there are so many speakers on the market, all of the with diferent accoustic signature, for me the Dyns are the speakers that provide me with the most realistic sond, no colorations, no softines when there is mone, bad recordings will always be a bad recording with the Dynaudio X12, ao good recordind will sound superb! For me that is a neutral speaker and a accurate speaker.

Thats fine but I could not live with the treble esp. drum cymbals they got on my nerves even after a short listen thats why I liked the AVIs they were neutral and accurate to my ears. Maybe your Rega set up tones that down?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Could it be the acoustics of the room is naff? Think you'll need to hear those Dyns in your own room before catagorically dismissing them. From how you described those bears no relation to my experience of Dyns, unless they have changed the signature dramatically.

Have you heard the Dyn Excite x12s recently?

The room seemed fine, the best demo room I have experienced although my room at home maybe better. The dealer agreed with my thoughts on the Dyns also.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Dyns and a lot of other gear like Creek so few dealers stock them, I had to go upto London to hear the Dyns but they do not stock Rega or Kefs.

Wolf75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
That's strange, I have dyn x12 as well, and it never sounded forward or harsh to me, just smooth and silky, but very detailed at the same time. I really like its treble.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Wolf75 said:
That's strange, I have dyn x12 as well, and it never sounded forward or harsh to me, just smooth and silky, but very detailed at the same time. I really like its treble.

Note I did not say harsh.

What system do you have?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Thats fine but I could not live with the treble esp. drum cymbals they got on my nerves even after a short listen thats why I liked the AVIs they were neutral and accurate to my ears. Maybe your Rega set up tones that down?

Maybe... As i demo the Dyns with a Naim combo pre/power at the dealer store a sounded amazing, but at home i've demo the dynns with a Naim 5i and didn't like it...

but with the Rega Brio R i've a system with that hi-end flavor, only heard in expencier systems! So much detail, richness timber it gets my hair up every time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts