Marantz NR1605 + Genelec G Four for stereo setup

iwanknowmore

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I decided couple of weeks ago that it would be nice to get some decent home hifi to enjoy listening to music more. As many suggests, it is good to start with speakers. So, I went to listent to some. Dali Zensor 3, B&W 685 S2, B&W CM5 S2 would be some worth mentioning. Then Genelec G series was introduced to me. I liked the sound of Genelec G Four the most. I want to build the stereo system around Genelec G Four.

The main purpose of the system is music. At first I thought that I would use DacMagic Plus with Apple TV for AirPlay (and movies with Epson projector occasionally) connected to it. The dealer suggested me to look at Marantz NR1605, which offers a good connectivity. I have to admit DLNA (I have my music on NAS), Bluetooth, Airplay, Spotify Connect (Spotify is one of the main sources of music for me nowadays) sounds very good. Reviews over the Internet suggest that Marantz should be "musicaly good". It also fits nicely to the occasional movie evenings. I'm wondering. Could there be any better setup because I don't need all the amplification NR1605 provides? All comments and suggestions on the setup withing the budget of NR1605 are very welcome.

Cheers!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome. A couple of thoughts.

Depending on where you are and what is available to you, the Pro Series Genelec 8040b is the same speaker and may be available through a different supply chain at a lower price, worth checking.

Also, the NR1605 may well do an awful lot more than you need, pretty much any a/v reciever will do what you need, the much cheaper NR1504 for example. There are also some two channel network amplifiers such as the Onkyo TX8050 that would be suitable, though without the video switching.

Still whichever way you go you should get great results, I have tried the NR1504 with Yamaha HS5s with excellent results, so definitely a good solution.

iwanknowmore

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi again!

I decided to go with NR1504. If you wonder why I gave up the features of NR1605 over NR1504, then here are my reasons

- Bluetooth: Not going to use it when AirPlay is available

- WiFi: I have currently other devices (NAS, WD TV) near NR1504 location which are connected with cables. So, no need for WiFi at the moment. In long run, I assume will need a WiFi bridge to connect all devices around NR1504 anyway.

- Spotify connect: nice to have but I can live without.

- Zone: don't need and very likely won't need. If I will need multiroom setup later on, then I'll look for some other solutions.

I purchased the speakers and NR1504 but I still have some issues with the setup. I'm going to post some questions in AV thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts