Marantz MM8077 Power Amp issue

michael hoy

Well-known member
Oct 6, 2008
610
160
19,070
Has anyone had the amp go into protected mode?

Mine did this on Sunday after 5 mins of usage, completely powered off and did the same again.
Reluctantly pulled it out of the rack disconnected all cables and left it over night, this morning plugged the mains lead in switched it on and 5 mins later back in protected mode.

It is 3 years old so out of warranty and looks like i will need to send it off for repair.
 
Last edited:

michael hoy

Well-known member
Oct 6, 2008
610
160
19,070
Has anyone had the amp go into protected mode?

Mine did this on Sunday after 5 mins of usage, completely powered off and did the same again.
Reluctantly pulled it out of the rack disconnected all cables and left it over night, this morning plugged the mains lead in switched it on and 5 mins later back in protected mode.

It is 3 years old so out of warranty and looks like i will need to send it off for repair.
Well, it has gone off for repair. Needed to pay £45.00 upfront which gets knocked off the bill if i have it repaired.
If i don't have it repaired they keep the £45.00.
I will receive a report of costs shortly.
 

Gray

Well-known member
Well, it has gone off for repair. Needed to pay £45.00 upfront which gets knocked off the bill if i have it repaired.
If i don't have it repaired they keep the £45.00.
I will receive a report of costs shortly.
Presumably you didn't have the option of anywhere doing free estimates, which is a shame.
As part of the quote, I would be looking to see precisely what you will be getting - what parts, some idea of labour charges and how long their repair will be guaranteed for.
I'd like your repair price to be closer to that £45 than it probably will be - if I'm being realistic, they'll probably think they can start by doubling that 45 quid. I really hope they don't.
Good luck.
 

michael hoy

Well-known member
Oct 6, 2008
610
160
19,070
Presumably you didn't have the option of anywhere doing free estimates, which is a shame.
As part of the quote, I would be looking to see precisely what you will be getting - what parts, some idea of labour charges and how long their repair will be guaranteed for.
I'd like your repair price to be closer to that £45 than it probably will be - if I'm being realistic, they'll probably think they can start by doubling that 45 quid. I really hope they don't.
Good luck.
I did have other options, but the company i am using are a Marantz authorised service centre.
I did ask around about potential repair costs but until the issue is diagnosed i will not know.
One dealer told me they have had costs from £50 up to £500. I can only wait and see.
 

michael hoy

Well-known member
Oct 6, 2008
610
160
19,070
So, received the estimate for repair.
Labour Charge - 206.25
Spares Charge - 9.50
Carriage - 12.50
Sub Total - 228.25
VAT - 45.65
Estimate Total - 273.90

I get £45.00 knocked off as i paid this as a deposite.
 

Gray

Well-known member
So, received the estimate for repair.
Labour Charge - 206.25
Spares Charge - 9.50
Carriage - 12.50
Sub Total - 228.25
VAT - 45.65
Estimate Total - 273.90

I get £45.00 knocked off as i paid this as a deposite.
:(
I can only hope that the 'up to £500' possibility and the value of the product help you to think of it as being a reasonable price for repair.
If you go ahead, ensure that they guarantee the repair (for at least 3 months) and hope for no further, unrelated problems.
 

michael hoy

Well-known member
Oct 6, 2008
610
160
19,070
Well, the amp was returned today. Plugged it in to test (mains only) and 8 mins later same fault.
emailed the company at 15:00 no response yet. It will be Monday now.
 

michael hoy

Well-known member
Oct 6, 2008
610
160
19,070
Late update:
The repair company paid for it to be returned and checked over.
They had it 2 weeks and found a further fault and replaced a few small parts. They returned it this Monday. Switched it on and left for 3 hours and it did not power off into protection mode. However, when connected to my processor the centre channel has no output. Tested multiple times and different combinations.
Phoned the company and was asked to send an email which i did yesterday, no response yet.
 

Gray

Well-known member
Late update:
The repair company paid for it to be returned and checked over.
They had it 2 weeks and found a further fault and replaced a few small parts. They returned it this Monday. Switched it on and left for 3 hours and it did not power off into protection mode. However, when connected to my processor the centre channel has no output. Tested multiple times and different combinations.
Phoned the company and was asked to send an email which i did yesterday, no response yet.
That's a hassle for you.
And you can be fairly sure the repairers are starting to wish they hadn't taken it on.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS