Marantz MCR610 and Spotify question.

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

I wonder could anyone help me with a question i have?

I purchased the MCR 610 recently, and an enjoyable experience it is! I also subscribe to Spotify Premium, which is excellent, but a pain to search with the machine's remote, where you have to enter every letter via the keypad.

As i also have my PC in the same room, connected to the same BT Hub as the Marantz, is there a way to control Spotify on the 610 via the PC, rather than punching letters into a remote control. Or, put it another way, is there a method of getting the PC to talk to the Marantz?

I would be interested in any solutions to this query.

Thanks in advance

Callum.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Callum J said:
Hi folks.

I wonder could anyone help me with a question i have?

I purchased the MCR 610 recently, and an enjoyable experience it is! I also subscribe to Spotify Premium, which is excellent, but a pain to search with the machine's remote, where you have to enter every letter via the keypad.

As i also have my PC in the same room, connected to the same BT Hub as the Marantz, is there a way to control Spotify on the 610 via the PC, rather than punching letters into a remote control. Or, put it another way, is there a method of getting the PC to talk to the Marantz?

I would be interested in any solutions to this query.

Thanks in advance

Callum.

Get the Spotify app on your smart-phone / tablet and use wi-fi (or AirPlay if you use an iOS device).

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue and have got round it by running a HP Wireless set-up into the analogue AUX, not ideal but cannot get my PC to talk to my Marantz through WIFI directly. Agreed - The smartphone app is clunky as hell

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering Knaithrover....what exactly is an HP wireless set-up, and where do you source it?

I don't have a tablet, and don't fancy the smartphone option much, so that is why i'm trying to find a way for the PC to operate Spotify, as they are both in the same small room.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't think so Chebby, unless you're running it on a recent Mac which supports Airplay audio transmission. OP is using a PC so that's out.

He needs some software on his PC which sets up Airplay as a 'virtual' sound card/output device. Not sure if there is such a thing? It would surely need to be Apple-licenced.

EDIT wait a mo, what about AirParrot? Or does that only do screen-mirroring and not audio :?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Callum J said:
Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering Knaithrover....what exactly is an HP wireless set-up, and where do you source it?

I don't have a tablet, and don't fancy the smartphone option much, so that is why i'm trying to find a way for the PC to operate Spotify, as they are both in the same small room.

Hi Callum - HP Wireless audio is a usb dongle transmitter which is pretty good sound-wise and is dirt cheap now - look on Amazon i got my 2 for around £25 each (they were originally £150 i believe) There are also loads of these on ebay if you prefer that route.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
How far is your PC from the Marantz? Maybe you can use a USB-to-SPDIF converter, and plug the PC in a digital in (PC - USB-cable - converter - coax-cable - Marantz coax digital in). You can then run Spotify on the PC and use the Marantz as an outboard soundcard. These converters can be had for less than $20 a piece on the Bay.

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, it gives me something to think about. My pc is about 4 metres from the Marantz. Will that be too long a stretch?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Callum J said:
Thanks for the replies, it gives me something to think about. My pc is about 4 metres from the Marantz. Will that be too long a stretch?

No, that's doable. A USB cable works up to 5 m length. I'm not sure on coax SPDIF, but I think it can handle even longer runs (and optical SPDIF easily takes 100 m). So you could choose to put the converter next to the PC or hide it behind the amp. I assume the long USB cable will cost you less than a long SPDIF cable (but I didn't check that).

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Knaithrover and DocG for your helpful replies. I'm very interested in both replies, but i'm afraid, (not being up to speed on that kind of technology), to being a bit baffled as to how exactly these things work, and which of them would best suit my needs? Do they affect the sound quality of the Marantz in any way? Can i just open up Spotify on my PC and browse for artists, songs, and albums, select a track or playlist, and then click on play, and then the Marantz just fires up and does it's thing as it would using the supplied remote control? or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Cheers

Callum.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think both options would work very similarly. You need to:

- open Spotify on your PC and select what you want to hear

- fire up the Marantz, choose the correct input and set the volume

BTW, Spotify has far more interesting features on PC than in the Marantz app (like radio function based on a song, album or performer to name just one)!

IMO a wired connection is more robust, but wireless transmission can be a very elegant solution too. Up to you!

EDIT: the sound quality (of both options) should be very comparable to other digital inputs, as it is the MCR610's DAC that does the digital-to-analogue conversion. With a less than optimal wifi you have the risk of drop-outs (short stops in the music), but with just a couple of metres between the dongle and the amp, that shouldn't be an issue. But as I said before, the wired connection is more robust (by design).

DM_London

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Premium spotify users have or should have something called spotify connect. This feature lets you control what your active device plays from another device which has your spotify account. Eg you fire up the marantz and start playing a spotify track. Then log into your PC spotify account, change the song and the marantz should automatically change. There should be a green icon at the bottom of the screen. I discovered this recently (iPhone vs IPad) and it was brilliant. I've connected my iPad to my marantz cd6005 via USB and control my playlist via iPhone - thereby benefitting from marantz dac and wireless convenience. Clever app...!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DM_London said:
Premium spotify users have or should have something called spotify connect. This feature lets you control what your active device plays from another device which has your spotify account. Eg you fire up the marantz and start playing a spotify track. Then log into your PC spotify account, change the song and the marantz should automatically change. There should be a green icon at the bottom of the screen. I discovered this recently (iPhone vs IPad) and it was brilliant. I've connected my iPad to my marantz cd6005 via USB and control my playlist via iPhone - thereby benefitting from marantz dac and wireless convenience. Clever app...!

I think this is exactly what the OP wants.

Can you explain in a bit more detail just how you make that work.

DM_London

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Did some more searching - seems that desktop based spotify connect is not yet live - will be soon though. Definitely works on mobile devices - but you would need two devices to make this work eg iPhone + iPad.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, me too! Would come in handy for the Sonos (the Spotify PC GUI is just so much better than the Sonos').

But I can't find Spotify Connect on my iPad, nor my iPhone. Is it only available for the latest gen iThingies?

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Having read this I thought I would try. Initially couldn't find it.

Need to have Spotify open on both devices, press play on one and the green symbol appears, press it and you can chose which acts as the 'speaker' and use the other to control it.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
@ jimbo: Yes it works with two iThings indeed! Not with Sonos, unfortunately..

@DM_London: any idea if the Connect feature will be available for Sonos devices too? Or indeed for the MCR610?

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I emailed Spotify, and seemingly they don't support the Marantz MCR-610 at present. But, as they improve their technology, they may do so in the future, they say. Was told to keep an eye on their site for news of any developments.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
A USB cable works up to 5 m length.

5m is the maximum theoretical length for USB 2.0, but at least both Naim and Ayre recommend not using cables longer than 3m. Without wanting to provoke a cable war, I would recommend getting a cable with above the average quality if length is over 3m.

Personally I use a 3.6m cable and have not had any issues.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there no such thing as an Airplay 'audio sender' for a PC? The OP could then run Spotify on his PC and Airplay it to his '610. What about Air Parrot?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
unsleepable said:
DocG said:
A USB cable works up to 5 m length.

5m is the maximum theoretical length for USB 2.0, but at least both Naim and Ayre recommend not using cables longer than 3m. Without wanting to provoke a cable war, I would recommend getting a cable with above the average quality if length is over 3m.

Personally I use a 3.6m cable and have not had any issues.

I use a 5 m USB cable between my laptop and the Devialet. I bought the cheapest cable available (think it cost me 3 EUR), and it works a treat. No issues at all!

peegmehh

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi i use the Windows program Airfoil to play any music from my pc to the Marantz 610.

Works perfect! It's simulate the airplay functionality!

Give it a try!

I need a solution for my android device. I want to use spotify connect but apparently it won't work? Still don't work?

Greetings, peeg

Rockstar

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I wonder if it's possible to connect the Marantz cr610 with a computer with a jack jack male cable?

Does somebody has experience with it?

Or is it possible to connect a tablet with a jack jack male cable in the digital in at the Marantz?

The Marantz app is so annoying to use with Spotify, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts