Marantz mcr603 or nr1602 for Stereo Music?

andyman2

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi, after a long absence from the world of hifi I'm going to make a modest splash back into it...

I've started looking at AirPlay enabled amps and for approx the same price I'm torn between the Marantz mcr603 with the AirPlay firmware update or the newly released nr1602. I know the 1602 is a 7.1 channel amp but I'll only be using this for Stereo (2.0 or 2.1 once I decide on the speakers).

Would I be correct in assuming the 603 which is only meant for stereo would have the better sound quality and DAC?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

manicm

As a general rule of thumb dedicated stereo components will sound better than home theatre amps for 2-channel music. The more you spend on the latter the better the results could be though.

But I would certainly demo the nr1602 before making a decision - is this one of those good-looking slimline ones?

andyman2

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that's the one. Or if I wasn't so led by design the 1912 from denon as well, bit more wattage but more of a traditional beast to look at. Just wary of paying for things I'm not going to use. In the Case of the 603 this being cd and dab, but for the av amps, obviously all the channels, audyssey licensing etc. And I haven't even started on the speakers yet!

CHFels

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The mcr603 is a tiny amp packed with lots of electronic stuff (DAB for example), and if I had to guess probably uses exactly the same amp modules as the 1602. Nor will the DAC be likely to be better; receivers tend to use fairly recent cutting-edge DACs because of the need to decode the latest 7.1HD formats. Either way you will probably be paying for stuff you don't need. But I would probably go for the 1602 because I *might* add a subwoofer, I *might* decide to bi-amp my new speakers (if they have dual binding posts), and I just *might* find the Audyssey processing useful - and if not, I can always bypass it. The mcr603 gives you less flexibility to grow or improve your setup.

But see amazon dot com for a user review of the 1602 which is pretty negative about the firmware shipping with it...

cheers,

CHFels

andyman2

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Thats a very very useful reply thanks. I hate spending money on an item whereby part of it isnt going to be used, so the DAB and CD component of the 603 had irked me. However, I'd also assumed that Audyssey was only for full surround sound, and from your comment googled its use on 2.1 and its perfectly suited to this. So in mind that at some point I may get a sub, and that I'd probably bi-amp the speakers, you've swayed me alongside the commonality of DACS. And thanks for the mention of the amazon review, a very thorough piece for once!

Now currently deciding between the Denon 1912 and the Marantz NR1602, though the only difference seems to be the Denon being physically more beefy and with a more beefy wattage.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

With the M-CR603 you *can* add a subwoofer, and you *can* bi-amp your new speakers (if they have dual binding posts)

andyman2

May 10, 2009
Visit site
Though I've noticed that when you bi-amp with the 603, it knocks the wattage to 30w each, rather than 60. with the nr1602, you use the extra 2 channels from 7.1 so you're not lower the wattage.

Agree on the sub, though I've spent many an unhappy night many years ago trying to get it to sound right, hence the appeal of the Audyssey XT!

A

Anonymous

Hi

I've tried to use the MCR603 as source, for a Primare I20 mk3, and that was no success, so I'll look for an amp with a good DAC or an external DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts