Marantz MCR-603, streaming music from PC .

Orbiter

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Firstly to say, I love this player.

I store Flac music files on my P.C and use MediaMonkey installed on my P.C, i.e I am using my computer with the screen, to search and playback the files through an optical cable connected to the Marantz MCR-603. in effect pushing the music from the PC to the Marantz. This is much easier than using the P.C as a 'server' as MediaMonkey is so much more user friendly for searching music stored on the P.C than scrolling through all the music files held on the PC using the Marantz menu.

The only problem is that the P.C must be within a reasonable distance of the Marantz to 'optically connect',and I wish to move the PC further away.

Can anyone suggest how I can use my Laptop rather than a PC to wirelessly transmit the 'MediaMonkey' output tfrom the Flac files on my Laptop to the Marantz,. I would then use the laptop in the same room as the Marantz.. All my files are in FLAC and I wouldnt want to re-record them to 'Itunes' files.

I understand that I could download and install 'Airfoil' on my laptop to then use MediaMonkey on my Laptop as the 'player 'and 'push' music to the Marantz vis the Airplay option on the Marantz, but I have also read that Airplay and Airfoil can have their own issues with the Marantz, including disconnects and hesitations etc requiring re-boot's of the Marantz. The laptop would be used within a short distance of the Marantz and I would like to think that I can still play the files at original quality?

Any help, especially from readers who have experienced a similar set-up would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

ela-ted

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have Marantz MCR-610 and use Airfoil and Airplay to stream from my MacBook - never had a moments issue with it, works perfectly. Airfoil will basically let you play anything you can play on your laptop via Airplay (which is otherwise restricted to iTunes) - I use it for Spotify and browser based streams. I appreciate this is a Mac on a later Marantz but it may help.

Orbiter

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ela-ted for the reply.

I may give the airfoil a try then but I guess that the mcr610 has improved on some of the issues that the 603 has had with airplay so if anyone has used the airfoil ap downloaded on a laptop or pc to wirelessly stream to the 603 I would be grateful to hear.

It could be that the m-cr603 issues I mention are rare anyway, and we may only be hearing about the problems and not the succeses? Nevertheless I was a bit dubious about playing around with the software if I have to try to reset everything afterwards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts