Marantz MCR-603 still the best?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
A while ago I looked at getting the MCR-603, but decided to stay with separates. Recently an all-in-one solution has again become appealing for various reasons. I'm surprised to see that there aren't a lot of new players in the MCR-603's territory, at this price point. I thought this would have become a highly competitive part of the market in the last 12 months. I suppose my two main questions are:

Is the MCR-603 still one of the only units to offer network streaming, airplay, DAB, and other standard CD features at this pricepoint?

Secondly, for those who have experience, how easy is the MCR-603 in use for network streaming? As it's not a dedicated network streamer, is it fiddly to use for playing off a NAS? I want something really useable in this regard. I'm wondering how good the Marantz Remote App for iPhone is for this, I think they've just released a new one.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Have you looked / listened to Denon CEOL or CEOL PICCOLO ?

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=Systems&SubId=NetworkMusicSystems&ProductId=CEOLPiccolo

I think Onkyo do something too.

But certainly the Marantz still seems the one to beat.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I have the 603 and find it a superb bit of kit.

Streaming FLAC files from my NAS wirelessly is pretty much instant. The navigation depends on the size of your library, but mainly due to scrolling.

My only fault, and someone can probably tell me I'm doing it wrong, is that songs in album folders appear alphabetically.

I've got the app on my Iphone 4s, I find it rubbish although others may not. It suffers frequent dropouts, it's slow, and feels buggy as heck.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Hmm. I have a massive library, so I think the app would be crucial in helping to navigate files & folders. I think they've just released a new one, so don't know if that's any better than the old Wizz app. The alphabetical thing would be intensley annoying if not correctable.

I've had a look at some other options, but the Onkyo has no DAB, the CEOL the same, and the DM39 from Denon doesn't stream off a NAS, so really the 603 looks like the only one that does everything - DAB, NAS, Airplay.

I still like having DAB in a unit because it gives you some output without needing further devices to make things happen.

Cheers.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like the same choices I considered. Where I live the fm/am reception is very poor, and dab is just fine for talk radio.

Well the app auto updates like most others and I had play with the latest update ( in the hope it would improve) but hasn't.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
I guess if you can live without DAB / CD, the CEOL Piccolo is a more modern, compact, up to date option that offers better out of the box compatibility with more formats / sources than the Marantz.

that's the thing that worries me about the MCR603 really, it was so ground breaking that many of it's features for streaming & airplay were added in later or bolt on extras, whereas its stable mates like the Piccolo seem just that tad better equiped from the off due to their youth.

A refreshed and reinvigorated MC603 would be a thing to marvel at I'm sure.

For instance, I see no mention of ALAC support in the 603 spec sheet.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Well I can play Apple Lossless with no problems. (Gapless files too as this is esssential to me). I stream lossless from my iMac. (I assume that's what ALAC is.)

I've never heard of AirPlay being a 'bolt-on' for the M-CR603.

It's had the facility right from the beginning. I've been using AirPlay on the Marantz since I bought it in March 2011.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was a M-CR603 owner last year before passing it on to my son and never really bothered with the tuner function other than internet radio.

To obtain best results from the FM and DAB I presume an outside aerial is the way to go. Would anyone know whether you can buy a decent aerial that works for both FM and DAB?

T

the record spot

Twill said:
The alphabetical thing would be intensley annoying if not correctable. I've had a look at some other options, but the Onkyo has no DAB, the CEOL the same, and the DM39 from Denon doesn't stream off a NAS, so really the 603 looks like the only one that does everything - DAB, NAS, Airplay. I still like having DAB in a unit because it gives you some output without needing further devices to make things happen. Cheers.

No, the Onkyo doesn't have DAB, but it has as good in internet radio, which offers far better station choice, including all the BBC ones including the minority services, and if you have an Apple TV (as I do) then you're covered anyway for Airplay. I get the best of both worlds, plus the Onkyo has more power than the Marantz; it never sounds ragged even when pushed, you can add a power amp in any case if you want to, or a subwoofer, plus four digital inputs and one USB mounted on the fascia. Check the web for the reviews from owners; don't just take my word for it. The 8050 is a fantastic option.

A

Anonymous

Twill, I'm also looking to buy something with similar capabilities.

There's the Denon D-F109DABN which looks pretty (and) good on paper. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any reviews on it out there. And it costs a fair bit more than the MCR603.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
ALAC does not work through the 603's network feature but plays fine over Airplay.

You might want to be careful with the Denon D-F109DAB, it seems to be offered if diferent combinations, which may not include one of the boxes with features you want. So it could be more than 479 to get all the functionality of the 603.

ALAC is also now open source so it's possible Marantz may update the firmware fixing support ( unless its more complicated than that).

A

Anonymous

Chebby wrote:

Well I can play Apple Lossless with no problems. (Gapless files too as this is esssential to me). I stream lossless from my iMac. (I assume that's what ALAC is.)

Does the M-CR603 play FLAC or MP3 files in a gapless way yet?

Bluto

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bluto said:
Chebby wrote:

Does the M-CR603 play FLAC or MP3 files in a gapless way yet?

Sorry I can't say I know. Never really wanted or needed to explore that. I use 320k AAC VBR for all speech/drama/documentary/comedy etc. and Apple Lossless for music.

Everything is ripped from my own CDs (with error correction turned on). I evicted the last of the few 256K iTunes purchased downloads a long time ago. (iTunes downloads, as opposed to rips, sound flat in comparison even when the bitrate is 256K AAC on both.)

Not only do I find 320K AAC VBR and Apple Lossless excellent quality, and iTunes supremely easy to use, but that enables me to use my iPhone as another source (multiple source actually) via AirPlay and it leaves the M-CR603's optical digital input free to play my TV/Blu-ray/Humax sounds through the hi-fi.

Anyway, that's me and my needs (sorry). I really hope you do find you can have gapless playback with MP3 and FLAC.

Here is the number for Marantz (D&M) technical support. I'm sure they'll be able to answer all this for you...

02890 279830

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, Chebby.

Just out of interest, do your ALAC files play gaplessly from a USB stick as well? Or only when streamed via the network?

Bluto

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Chebby, some Qs for you I guess as the main 603 voice around here, if you wouldn't mind.

Does the 603 have any other aux inputs round the back apart from the optical in?

More importantly, can you confirm if the unit can play ALAC across the network, as opposed to just from airplay?

Also, how do you find the Marantz app? I know it's been widely criticized, and I just tried out the new Denon app in demo mode and it looks very easy / good, even though I have no CEOL to actually do anything with!

Finally, for all, surely with this field moving on, and sister company Denon having the new CEOL out, Marantz might be thinking about an update. Anyone heard anything? I've seen nothing on the blogs.

cheers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Twill said:
Chebby, some Qs for you I guess as the main 603 voice around here...

Not that at all.

Twill said:
Does the 603 have any other aux inputs round the back apart from the optical in?

Two. Aux 2 and 3.

Twill said:
More importantly, can you confirm if the unit can play ALAC across the network, as opposed to just from airplay?
Never tried (see above).

Here is the number for Marantz (D&M) technical support. I'm sure they'll be able to answer all this for you...

02890 279830

Twill said:
Also, how do you find the Marantz app?
Never needed it or used it.

Sorry I couldn't help you. As I said above, I am an AirPlay user through and through. Never needed to try what you are proposing to do.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. Much appreciated.

I think I'll use Airplay mostly myself, but wanted an option that opened up my whole music collection on a NAS. that's where I was thinking the network streaming would come in, but with a big music collection, it's got to be easy to operate / navigate, and that's where you struggle to beat a computer with a qwerty.

MoosicMan

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had one for several years. I like the sound, but I don't care for the networking. I added Airpac. I've got my music on a portable hard drive connected to a Windows 7 laptop. I mainly play music from Itunes on the pc. The connection to the receiver drops unexpectedly. After a while I tried running a cable to the router, helped a little, but not much. Internet radio also regularly loses its connection. The navigation to stations is clunky. I upgraded the software 2 or 3 times and each time I lost my presets. I get good results with the ipod connected directly, or simply playing CDs. I get somewhat better results using Media Player rather than Itunes and using the "Play to" feature which connects easily to the Marantz and holds the connection. Itunes will often lose the connection to the receiver and you have to reboot each device, sometimes several times, before Itunes will once again recognize the device. I get the most consistent connectivity, if not the best sound, accessing internet radio on the laptop, then running the sound to the AUX input on the receiver. I don't know what your alternatives are, but with the Marantz I think you are in for some connectivity woes. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts