Marantz M-CR611 Issues (or CR610?)

Marcoin

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for other owners of Marantz M-CR611 so to understand whether there are common issues or my new device has a specific problem.

The system packs a lot of functionality in a tiny and attractive package and sounds well, with each source, including network ones, when they work!

First of all, I had tremendous initial setup problemsto get the Network connection work, despite I have a Gbps LAN port on Asus router and a 20Mbps Internet connection, working flawlessly with all sort of wired and wireless devices. Only way to get a decent connection was to connect the CR611 to a 10/100Mbps hub in-between router, otherwise direct connection to Gbps LAN port would drop regularly.

However, I still have major issues with stability of Internet Radio service and Spotify Connect, which are driving me crazy.

Internet Radio: whenever using Spotify Connect or local Music Server and then switching back to Internet Radio source, device remains in a freeze state and it is not possible to re-start Internet radio connection, only way to regain functionality is by physically unplugging power source (sometimes waiting a long time to obtain again wired network connection)

Spotify Connect: this works fine with excellent quality, initially. After about 30 minutes of playback, cracking noises begin, similar to a disturbed radio transmission. Again, only way to get rid of it is to unplug device and re-start.

I have latest firmware and tried several re-initialisations, with no improvement. I am in touch with Marantz support and waiting a definitive answer on whether exchanging the device (or maybe get another brand, although no direct competitor exists to my knowledge at this price point with integrated CD player)

Any similar experience with this or previous similar model CR610? Be careful and try before buying this new model, if you can....

thanks in advance

Marco

tony5229

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
i also own a cr611, and experienced similar issues to you. sometimes when using internet radio, it will be searching, but would hang. i need to do a reset and re-do the network settings. i sometimes get the "list empty" message too, hifi remote app also doesnt work when there are network issues.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/network-players/airplay-broken-marantz-m-cr603

did you take a look at the above thread? there is mention that the issue initially affecting cr603 was fixed with cr610. but i suspect it isnt since its still an issue with cr611.

it was also mentioned that there is some conflict with the WD my cloud NAS. do you use WD NAS?

i'm now testing the issue with toggling wifi vs wired, turning off/on the NAS to see if there is any improvement.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Looks like Marantz have 'dropped the ball' on subsequent model releases to my old M-CR603. All I had to do on that was toggle 'network standby' and it stayed permanently connected to my home network for well over four years (and when in 'standby' obviously).

I always used the BBC iPlayer Radio app and TuneIn Radio Pro app (via the Marantz's built-in AirPlay) from iPhone or iPad. Better quality and higher bitrates than the built-in internet tuner and waaaay better user interface.

Make sure your M-CR6nn is plugged into your router/modem with an ethernet cable for best results.

ela-ted

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
My M-CR610 has worked pretty much flawlessly since I bought it a couple of years ago, permanently connected wirelessly to my Airport Extreme in the next room. I think I've had to reboot it once when it went a bit pear shaped and it's had a few reboots following firmware updates - it always picks up the connection without issue. Internet streaming works fine, for any amount of time, although the information streaming quite often doesn't work, but I guess that may be an issue with the radio station rather than the unit itself (it sometimes happens with DAB as well). My frustration remains with the slow radio tuning, particularly on DAB - I thought I may change to a 611 if this had been improved - Marcoin, can you give me any opinion on this please?

tony5229

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
any owners of CR611 (or 610): when you turn on the machine with input selected to optical input with no sound, when plugged to passive speakers, do you hear a faint distortion sound (scratch-like static sound). when switching to other inputs (analog, CD, etc) it goes away. this happens when there is no sound, once there is sound output, this distortion goes away. do you think its a faulty unit or a design issue?

Did you ever sort out this issue?

Marcoin said:
Hi,

I am looking for other owners of Marantz M-CR611 so to understand whether there are common issues or my new device has a specific problem.

The system packs a lot of functionality in a tiny and attractive package and sounds well, with each source, including network ones, when they work!

First of all, I had tremendous initial setup problemsto get the Network connection work, despite I have a Gbps LAN port on Asus router and a 20Mbps Internet connection, working flawlessly with all sort of wired and wireless devices. Only way to get a decent connection was to connect the CR611 to a 10/100Mbps hub in-between router, otherwise direct connection to Gbps LAN port would drop regularly.

However, I still have major issues with stability of Internet Radio service and Spotify Connect, which are driving me crazy.

Internet Radio: whenever using Spotify Connect or local Music Server and then switching back to Internet Radio source, device remains in a freeze state and it is not possible to re-start Internet radio connection, only way to regain functionality is by physically unplugging power source (sometimes waiting a long time to obtain again wired network connection)

Spotify Connect: this works fine with excellent quality, initially. After about 30 minutes of playback, cracking noises begin, similar to a disturbed radio transmission. Again, only way to get rid of it is to unplug device and re-start.

I have latest firmware and tried several re-initialisations, with no improvement. I am in touch with Marantz support and waiting a definitive answer on whether exchanging the device (or maybe get another brand, although no direct competitor exists to my knowledge at this price point with integrated CD player)

Any similar experience with this or previous similar model CR610? Be careful and try before buying this new model, if you can....

thanks in advance

Marco

TRENDING THREADS