Marantz M-CR603 vs. Denon Ceol, RCD-N7

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I'm new to the forums but was wondering what people thought about the Marantz M-CR603 vs. Denon Ceol, RCD-N7. Which do you think is better, particularly for sound quality and which speakers (under £200) would you pair them with?

Thanks for your help in advance.

matthewpiano

I've heard the Marantz but not the Denon. The Marantz is superb - one of the best all-in-one units I've heard yet and will give good budget seperates a run for their money. I was very close to buying one myself a couple of weeks ago. I heard it with a pair of Castle Knight 1s and the combination was open, detailed and involving.

I would imagine the Denon should also be very good but you'd need to hear it for yourself.

Dali Lektor 1 or 2 speakers work very well with Marantz kit. It would also be worth trying Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s and Monitor Audio BX1.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
I've had the M-CR603 for just over a week, having spent some time listening to it with B&W 685 and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Anniversary. Though it makes a decent system with the Diamonds, the presentation is so much more constrained than with '685s. With the latter, the soundstage is comparatively very large, extended in every direction and more mature.
I also have Denon DM-37 for which the Diamonds are match made in heaven, for me, anyway.

All of those speakers suggested by Matthewpiano should do just fine. It is an imperative to listen before you buy, but also try to listen to Marantz with speakers in similar price bracket, or even pricier, just to see what it is capable of (do a little search here on the forum, this was mentioned several times already). In my opinion, Diamonds 9.1s don't do the M-CR603 any justice. And I wouldn't expect major improvement with the 10.1s.

You can always stick to your budget, of course, but be warned - you may be tempted to re-think...

Almost forgot to mention - I didn't hear Denon Ceol.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies, I will certainly try lo listen to those options. Just wondering if anybody else has any other thoughts, specifically on the Denon.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would opt for the Marantz (actually I have one ordered) if only because the Denon is made of white plastic and I prefer audio components in metal boxes. It seems 'right' somehow.

(White plastic may discolour over time from sunlight/internal heat etc. and scratch more easily.)

Also it has no DAB. I am no great fan of DAB but it really should have it these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts