marantz cr603 power chord and speaker cable.change ..is it worth it ??

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all you hifi nuts/cr603 owners . i just found an unused power chord which was my free gift from my whf subscription and wondered if it would be a worthwhile tweak/upgrade. i also still have my cheap 79 strand cable hooked up, so my next question is whether its safe/ worthwhile using my silver anniversary bi wire cable with the jumper bars still in place , in single wire mode obviously . would there be much improvement on a system at this level. i have to i am still very impressed with this lil ol box

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
if only someone had those exact cables to swap around, have a long listen, and report back to you so you can do the same thing!

A

Anonymous

I use a ClearerAudio Cooperline Alpha power cable on my CR603 with QED Revelation speaker cable to my RX2 speakers (used a 7inch piece of QED Revelation to replace the speaker cable jumpers as well.

Going to this from the OEM power cable and basic but thick copper speaker cable I had in the loft it made a world of difference to me

Much more open soundstage with better timed mids and a crisper treble. Bass was more taut as well!

Personally I'd say try it and run it for a few days with the replaced items and see if you notice a difference :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
Hi all you hifi nuts/cr603 owners . i just found an unused power chord which was my free gift from my whf subscription and wondered if it would be a worthwhile tweak/upgrade. i also still have my cheap 79 strand cable hooked up, so my next question is whether its safe/ worthwhile using my silver anniversary bi wire cable with the jumper bars still in place , in single wire mode obviously . would there be much improvement on a system at this level. i have to i am still very impressed with this lil ol box
Chuck it/sell it. Remove temptation to fiddle and scratch.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi recruiter yeah i think i will as i have em sitting there and it just seems a waste... th speaker cables with airlocs werent cheap either. One thing i will ask though mate is that do you have your 603 on source direct as ive had to have the treble setting on +6 just open up the sound a little. Now this could be down to my cm1s or maybe with the more revealing qed back in place theyd be more.revealing and i could reset it back to source direct

A

Anonymous

No I've used source direct but for me it dulled the sound of some music so I have my own settings sorted (bass/treble and loudness etc...)

I do however have the equaliser on iTunes switched off but that's my music source; not sure on yours. I dont use the CDP function of the CR603 nor the FM/AM side; just DAB radio etc...

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I take it you mean power CORD, not some heavy guitar sound. Surely the answer is plug it in. If you like it keep it. If you don't sell it. Speaker cable, use the best you have, cut a short length and use it to replace the jumpers as well. It is almost guaranteed to be better.

When WHFI reviewed these speakers back in April 2006, they made the following comments: "Fine performer, with such powerful bass for a small speaker..." They did conclude, however, the CM1s lacked openness in the treble.

I'd try some silver speaker cables should allow the treble to open up a little more. Be aware that any cable changes are likely to be subtle.

A

Anonymous

Trefor Patten said:
I take it you mean power CORD, not some heavy guitar sound. Surely the answer is plug it in. If you like it keep it. If you don't sell it. Speaker cable, use the best you have, cut a short length and use it to replace the jumpers as well. It is almost guaranteed to be better.

Why would replacing the jumper with speaker cable make the sound "better"?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
When WHFI reviewed these speakers back in April 2006, they made the following comments: "Fine performer, with such powerful bass for a small speaker..." They did conclude, however, the CM1s lacked openness in the treble.

I'd try some silver speaker cables should allow the treble to open up a little more. Be aware that any cable changes are likely to be subtle.

In what way would silver speaker cable allow the treble to open up a little more? Is it because of the slightly higher conductivity than Cu?

I'm trying to get my head around the actual physical effects that affect the sound when one of the parameters of a speaker cable is changed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts