Marantz CD6003 / iPod Question

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm currently waiting for my CD6003 to arrive and have a question regarding this and iPod use. I am currently connecting my iPod to the amplifier via a Onkyo Dock however I am aware that the Marantz has an iPod compatable USB port on the front.

If I connect the iPod via the USB port does the Marantz use its Onboard DAC or the Internal DAC of the iPod? I suppose what I am asking is will I gain anything by connecting via the CD player.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
There seems to be a bit of an argument on other forums as to which does which and Marantz's web site - and User Guide - are of no help whatsoever.

Not much help with your question but I am also interested in the answer as a friend of mine has a not dissimilar query, but opinion appears to be that it is the DAC in the ipod. Seems a bit strange there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this (JD or Mr E?)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Marantz web site under Specification say's DAC operation mode: USB / Coax / Optical so i presume it uses the Marantz DAC.

Thanks Shooter. Just had another look and don't know how I missed it! *duh* Would have been surprised if it didn't go through the Marantz's DAC but other's couldn't seem to make their minds up. Thanks again.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Marantz web site under Specification say's DAC operation mode: USB / Coax / Optical so i presume it uses the Marantz DAC.

Hmm not sure that's the case though.....because it also says cox and optical...I think that may be for connecting an external DAC to the CD6003. Under Inputs / outputs on the Marantz page it just says USB Audio (Front) / Made for iPod / Iphone. hmmm not clear at all as to whether the iPods DAC is bypassed.

John or Andrew do you know for sure?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts