Marantz CD6003 acting up?

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I've had my CD6003 for about 2 years. A couple of months back I noticed that it refused to play a cd from track 1. It just spins the disc without playing it. The only way I could make it play, was skipping to track 2 and then rewind to the beginning of track 1. I reckoned that the disc must be scratched although it was a quite new purchase. And I couldn't see any scratch.

Tonight I had the same with another disc. The disc plays on my laptop - FWIW.

Is my cdp losing it or what? What to do?

I think this is fairly typical sign that it may need a clean. The lens isn't focussing too well, so not reading the start of the disc (which you know is the centre). Check the CD is spotless. The machine might carry on for a while without any major problem, but then again it may soon stop altogether.

Check the handbook, as not many recommend cleaning discs, but Marantz might. If you knew what you were doing you could probably take the lid off and use a blower or soft brush, but then you wouldn't be asking!

Time to see your dealer.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks.

I'll look into the handbook whether it's recommended to use cleaning discs.

...deep down I hope it's developipng a fault so I can upgrade! >)

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Checked the manual today finally. It's not recommended using cleaning discs. After that I took one of the cd's that didn't play track 1 (The Kills - No wow :cry: ) and it did have a tiny scratch by the center of the disc.

Now, I order my music from UK or Denmark and there's been quite a few that arrived and those small grappers at the centre of the cases were broken off. Am I entitled to return them ask for a new one? On the other hand a little pointless when so many arrive in that state.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You mentioned it happened with more than one disc I think...

The only way to clean the lens is manually. It's really easy.

Unplug the player for safety and remove the top. To make access to the lens even easier you can remove the two screws holding the disc clamp and remove that too. Using a soft cotton bud very gently wipe the the lens. Do not use any chemicals or isopropyl alcholol as this can damage the coating on some treated optics. Although I use a special Sony fluid I imagine that camera lens cleaning fluid would be safe. If you have none just moisten the bud ever so slightly with warm water. The lens should look bright and clean with a torch shone on it.

If the pickup is one of the "KSS" variants (check the label on it) then these are easy to replace cheaply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts