Marantz CD5004 v CD6005

BradfordBantam

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
What to do, what to do?!

To compliment my PM6003, I want to putchase a CD player. Want to stick with Marantz for the body style and have these two options -

Manufacturer refurbished CD6005 for £200.00 or a "used but like new" CD5004 for £85.00

For the hundred or so pounds difference, will I notice a difference?! I don't need the USB socket, so am thinking of sound quality only really...

C'mon guys... a bit of advice please!!

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, have to admit I'm from Leeds so your name indicates you will be happy after a recent football result. I think that the cd6005 will be much better, I had a 5 series, maybe a 5003, and found it a bit flat. The 6005 has a different dac than the 5004, which is being flogged off cheap due to the arrival of the cd5005. If you go for the more expensive option, however, I suggest you in fact would do better to buy a NEW cd 5005 for £220, which has been much uprated from the 5004, and now has the same cd mechanism and dac as the 6005-the only difference between the 6005 and 5005 now seems to be that the 6005 has a usb input, which won't bother you as long as you are only interested in cd playing.

BradfordBantam

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
slice said:
Hmm, have to admit I'm from Leeds so your name indicates you will be happy after a recent football result.

..crossed my lips at your opening line! Yes, slighty pleased :)

Bit the bullet, the CD5005 is due for delivery on Monday.. I'll let you know how it sounds! Thanks for your input!

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I currently use a marantz pm6002, which I've been pleased with, together with a Cambridge topaz cd, which sounds fine but takes an age to load and has a noisy mechanism. If I can't tolerate it much longer, I was thinking of getting a 5005 myself, so I'd be interested in how you get on.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
German magazine Audio reviewed the CD5005 in the latest issue. They said it sounded just like the CD6005.........there was no difference in sound. So you get an extremely good player for not much money *dirol*

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
BradfordBantam said:
I work in Leeds Slice, happy to drop round after work one day to let you have a play?

Hi

This is the second time I have tried to post but the spam filter is refusing to accept my posts.

A very kind offer, thanks, but as I usually buy hifi from richer sounds in town, I can audition there and then buy afterwards when satisfied. Given Cypher's helpful post, I would imagine the player should be fine. I trust you may well be trying yours as we speak...

BradfordBantam

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
slice said:
.... I trust you may well be trying yours as we speak...

Sorry to disappoint but I was connecting banana plugs to cables last night! I did get the player out of the box - looks a nice piece of kit but of course looks are no guarentee of quality sounds! (I once dated a very cute girl from Birmingham.. enough said...)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts