Marantz CD5003 or NAD C542

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could advise me on a cd player upgrade. I am interested in either the Marantz CD5003 or the NAD 542. I found online websites here in the US that are selling the Marantz for $280 and the NAD for $300. As I understand it, the NAD is technically a higher model, but the Marantz is a newer design. Is there any other cd player besides these that I should also consider for my system?

My current setup is a Cambridge Audio 640A v2, B&W 601 s3, and a Sony CA70ES 5-disc. Van den Hul D102 Mk3 interconnects and QED silver 25th speaker cables. I also have Audioquest type 2.1 speaker cables. Does anyone have an opinion/preference between these 2 speaker cables for my system? Thank you.

Chris

A

Anonymous

I like my new Cambridge azur 340 cd player. Good look, fine sound, and it is very cheap (in Italy on line ? 248,00). And last but no least, Cambridge Audio electronics maintains its value over time (in Italy).

Sorry for my English. Good music
emotion-29.gif

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
The nad c542 plays well with B@W 600 series speakers..I used to have a pair of bw 602S3 withan old NAD T760 av amp and it sounded very good.plenty of everything. That T760 really does play stereo well imo the older av nad amps play stereo better than the latest ones but the latest c355bee stereo amp is the way to go . (also borrowed a pair of bw604S3 floorstanders and that combination was just as good...At one stage i had a marantz cd63 ki signature cdp for a weekend and thought the c542 was better, it gave a deeper broader soundstage.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd stump for the NAD C542 CDP over the C/A stuff any day; but im not sure that it'd gel well with the C/A amp.

IMO the C/A range doesnt do well with B&W speakers at all; i find the sound too clinical etc...

It may be worth looking to see if you can get a NAD C352 amp as well as the NAD C542 CDP.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
You really need to have a listen to both of them to make your decision. Good deals and buying newer models could prove to be false economy. Trust your ears. Personally, I would opt for the Marantz.

A

Anonymous

I've auditioned both cdp before.
here are my views and findings on both:
Marantz CD5003: Sound is rather bright, sharp and high pitched.
NAD C542: Warm, rounded & burning mids

i would jump for a NAD for jazz listening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts