Marantz CD-63 MkII Ken Ishiwata Signature - Should I buy one for 80 quid in the next 2 hours. Help needed fast!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys

As the title suggests I've got the option to buy the above CDP in the next 2 hours for about 80 quid. The question is, is this a good price? And if so, what amp should I look to partner it with? My budget for the amp will be about 300 quid (new). Speakers will be B&W 602 S3. The room is rather large, approx 6 x 5 mts.

Any replies will be hugely apprecieted!!

Cheers

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I love mine....had it for 5 years now, after buying it off our fav auction site for £130ish.

I would ask if the transport mech has been replaced, though, as it was the weak link and there was an upgraded version available at some stage......

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks for that. To be honest with you, I think I'm going to take the risk. If it ain't much cop, then it's no great loss. But I reckon, from reading reviews on other sites, it's worth the punt.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
At that price, definitely!!!!
emotion-21.gif

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Godriah:
Hey guys

As the title suggests I've got the option to buy the above CDP in the next 2 hours for about 80 quid. The question is, is this a good price? And if so, what amp should I look to partner it with? My budget for the amp will be about 300 quid (new). Speakers will be B&W 602 S3. The room is rather large, approx 6 x 5 mts.

Any replies will be hugely apprecieted!!

Cheers

I picked up mine earlier this year and was advised by Andrew to partner it with the Marantz PM66 Ki Sig ( You should be able to pick up an immaculate one for £150-180 )

I'm using them with B&W 601 S2 and sounds fantastic....

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for that. I'm actually looking at a NAD 3020 amp at the moment for about 40 quid. From what I've read online though, this amp is over 30 years old!!! Should I be giving it a wide birth? Some great reviews though, even up to this day!!!

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
That cd player deserved a better amp than the NAD, theres a few PM66Ki Sig's on eBay with a Buy It Now price for £130 + £10-12 postage, it will be the best £140 you'll spend.........

T

the record spot

Godriah:Thanks again for that. I'm actually looking at a NAD 3020 amp at the moment for about 40 quid. From what I've read online though, this amp is over 30 years old!!! Should I be giving it a wide birth? Some great reviews though, even up to this day!!!

Still a decent amp, with a good phono stage incidentally. It can hold its own nicely and I gave my 3020A from 1986 a run out the other day. Still sounds great after all this time. £40? A steal.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I used to have the Marantz PM6010 KI amp running with my Marantz KI cd player, through a pair of Tannoy DC2000's.....

Excellent system.......wish I'd kept the amp now......
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Hey guys/gals

Thanks to all that replied. Unfortunately I missed out on the Marantz (gutted), but have been looking at a second had marantz and nad systems and think this may be the way to go for me. The other option for me is a new NAD C316 & C515 for 400 quid. I know it's a bit much compared to UK prices, but that's the going rate in Sweden! I'm def going to be keeping an eye on auction sites, home and abroad, with the items on sale and ending in the next couple of days.

SteveR750 - Any experience with the NADC350?

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

What about the Yamaha CD-S700? Pixmania has them for 3142 SEK.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
If you can get the Marantz CD63 KI Sig and the PM66SE KI Sig amp you won't go far wrong IMHO. I have them as a 'second system' and back-up/reserve in case of disaster with the kit in my signature below. They really give the Primares a run for their money! In fact, I must try the Marantz system with the Proac Studio 140s now they're certain to replace the Spendor S3e speakers.

Keep looking - it's well worth it.

A

Anonymous

Right guys and gals, I've now got the chance to buy a Marantz PM66 SE amp and Marantz CD63 (not SE KI Sig) for 111 quid for the both!!! Should I go for it? How much difference is there in quality between the KI Sig and the non SE).

As always any help hugely appreciated.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I moved from an marantz cd63 to a 63se and have heard the 63KI. The biggest jump was the 63 to 63se, mainly smoother, a little more open with extra depth, a little more detail, a bit more natural in the mids and smoother top. From the 63se and Ki , the KI had similar soundstage, bit again a little more smoother and more refined with a more solid bass. Basically they have the same kind of sound signature, but as you move up its a more mature, sweeter and smoother and a bit more beefier sound. The better the amp the more it will show these differences. Hope that helps.

I actually prefer the older marantz (63 series) than the newer 6002, 7001 they just seem a bit more balanced tonally and a bit more musical especially the mids.

Cheers

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts