Marantz AV & B&W 685 Theatre

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Good Afternoon, I am in the market for a new AV Reciever and Home cinema Speakers. I think the Marantz/Denon AV reciever specification sound excellent and I have always liked the B&W 600 series speakers for stereo music. I was wandering if the 685 theatre work well with Marantz?

Also does anyone know if Rotel are planning on bring out any new AV Recievers that have networking, UpNp and air play etc? cheers

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz or Denon options should partner well with the B&W setup.

As for Rotel, they don't tend to update their models as often as the Japanese stuff. As Rotel and B&W are from the stable and B&W are one of the Airplay partners, it would not surprise me if the next Rotel models had it integrated but then again, they've not exactly been renowned for adding "bells and whistles" to their equipment. They tend to concentrate on the basics, including sound quality, which is rather important after all.

I haven't seen or heard Airplay in operation yet but I hope it's better than the other networkng functionality that has been added to AV Receivers. It seems to me to have been added as an afterthought. Just as an example, it is very slow and clunky on my Yamaha receiver. Selecting a song takes forever and I don't even have a nice iPod or Android graphical app to look at to take my mind off the fact it takes forever. I'm sticking with my Squeezebox for now, which I am more than happy with.

Anyone used Airplay? What does it offer over other streaming solutions integrated into AV receviers other than simultaneous multi-room? Can you stream music to one room and radio to another for example or do you have to have the same music in all rooms/zones?

A

Anonymous

The AirPlay seems to work very well. I can see a lot of manufacturers putting their weight behind this system before long as its just about as plug'n'play as is possible.

A friend of mine uses it on the Marantz MCR603 (Melody Media.. i think its called) and its pretty seemless. Just press the airplay button in the corner, select the Marantz (or whatever device you want to play through) and off you go. The loss of sound quality is minimal, if not at all.

As far as im aware you can only stream one thing from each device, ie. I don't think you can use one iPhone to stream radio to one room and iTunes to another.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you have made up your mind on receivers. Its a good choice of speaker too and one i demo'd too when buying my setup recently

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts