Marantz amp pairing with B&W 684s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

I have access to unbelievably discounted D&M employee pricing that I want to utilize to purchase a HiFi setup that I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. After listening to many speakers, I fell in love with B&W 684s and now need to determine how to power them cost effectively. I'm wondering if the Marantz PM6004 or PM8004 will pack enough juice to bring the speakers to life for 2-channel music. Stepping up to the PM15S2B-Limited would be a real stretch financially (and upset domestic bliss w/ my fiancee who doesn't share my HiFi enthusiasm and wants to save for our honeymoon). Given that I'll be buying direct from D&M, spending lots of time auditioning amps at my dealer seems unfair. So I'd appreciate this forum's collective wisdom.

Other info: Source will be a new Marantz UD5007. Room is modest sized apartment living room (maybe 12x15x8 ft). Listening volumes are generally moderate (urban apartment, thin walls). Musical tastes are classical, jazz, and downtempo electronic (e.g., Sigur Ros, Portishead).

Longer term, I hope to pair this TBD amp (for front two channels) with a SR5007 or SR6007 (TBD) to build a 5.1 music/theater hybrid setup using B&W 600 series gear (2x 686s in the rear, an HTM62 centre, ASW610 subwoofer).

Advice much appreciated. (My first ever forum post :shifty: )

J

A

Anonymous

PS: While I really liked the sound of the B&W 684s, I could also be convinced to listen to a few others if the 684s aren't going to be a good pair for any of the Marantz integrated amps that are available to me. For example, an acceptable option is definitely "go with the PM8004" and try out XYZ tower speakers. (Speaker budget is ~$1000-1500 USD max for a pair).

Thanks again in advance.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ketan. I think my current plan will be to buy the PM8004 and test it with the 684s and CM1s to see if I like the sound. Are there other speakers that I should test in the $1000/pair price range with a similar sound signature. I like a relatively warm and relaxed presenation. My current setup is Senheisser HD650s through a CA DacMagic Plus.

J

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts