making your mind up!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
morning all,

after much oooing and aaahing i have decided to purchase the marantz award winning 6003 combo. The new wharfdale 10.1s seem the obvious choice for speakers,or am i worth spending the extra lolly on the b&w 685s,demo time is very limited so going on reveiwsand any worldly advice.I did make time to listen to the 686s and was blown away by them.

So thanks in advance on this rather mediocre subject.

matthewpiano

Did you hear the 686s on the end of the Marantz kit when they blew you away? If so, why not buy a pair of those?

Personally I'm not keen on the Marantz + B&W combination and I prefer the Wharfedales with the 6003s, but it is such a personal thing and you must choose with your own ears.

T

the record spot

I mentioned this to another poster on another thread; get the Richer Sounds deal if you can, which has the 6003 pairing with the Wharfedales, try it out. If you dislike the speakers, sell them on and use the proceeds of the sale to part cover the cost of replacements like the B&Ws if you go for those, or Q Acoustics, whoever, etc., instead.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i heard the ma rx1's on the marantz combo and they sounded sweet, i also heard the rs6's but the amp couldnt contol them properly, just too much speaker for that amp

A

Anonymous

i heard the 686s along with the rega apollo and brio,which works out about £300 extra,money i thought could go towards the cheaper marantz and 685s if that makes any sense!

matthewpiano

rockywebb:i heard the 686s along with the rega apollo and brio,which works out about £300 extra,money i thought could go towards the cheaper marantz and 685s if that makes any sense!

Except that the Apollo/Brio combination is much better than the 6003 duo and some of what you heard would have been the Rega kit weaving its magic. If you can stretch I would be inclined to re-audition the Rega combo with both the 686s and Rega's own RS1s. The 6003s are good, but the Rega electronics are more open sounding and don't suffer from the PM6003's ploddy bass.

If you want to go the Marantz route Record Spot's advice makes complete sense.

Whatever you do make sure you audition. The 685s sound quite different to the 686s and liking the smaller speaker certainly doesn't guarantee anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts