Making the most of a Mac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

My Mac is my main source for music, which I know isn't staggering in terms of quality, but I've been won over by convenience. At the moment it runs through a Denon DM3 system with Tannoy Mission MX2s, with a QED J2P interconnect and Silver Anniversary speaker cables. All of which will be upgraded in the next few months as I become rich and famous. Browsing various threads I'm starting to realise that improvements can be made on the sound coming from the Mac, with DACs and such. I keep coming across "lossless" and "squeezebox" and, realising that it may well be a tiresome newbie question, need a bit of help with understanding them. I've got a couple of months worth of music on iTunes, so can I convert that to lossless and will is make a difference? What the Dickens is a squeezebox? And should I get a DAC before thinking about upgrading the amp or speakers?

Thanks,

Carrie

A

Anonymous

A cheap solution with macs is srs iwow if you didn't know about it already. It is software to clean up the output from your mac.ÿ

Have you been compressing your music? If is already lossy you cannot simply switch back to lossless...

A

Anonymous

Thanks Octopo. I'll get iwow, and I've now switched my input pref to lossless on my mac. I'll have to put up with the quality, while gradually replacing compressed tunes.

John Duncan

Well you've done the most important bit by switching to lossless. Anything else you add will be pointless, though, if you haven't got your speakers on proper stands, and a few feet apart - as opposed to sitting on a shelf either side of the Denon, for example.

From there on in, there are lots of incremental upgrades to be made, as suggested.

A

Anonymous

The SRS iWOW does make a difference on many tracks, thanks for the tipÿOctopo, meant to say last week

Having had time to go to a hifi shop and try things out I can say that there is definitely a difference between 128k vs 256k vs 320k AAC vs lossless, so time to go and buy some bigger quiet disks

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Speakers are on atacama stands, albeit oldish ones, isolated with bits of blu-tak. Denon's on a shelf, also with blu-tak. Mac's on my desk or my lap, normally between 1 and 3 metres from the Denon.

A

Anonymous

That's great. Can I use my QED J2P to connect airport express to my amp, or is it not compatible?

A

Anonymous

Yeh then get an optical lead and proper RCA interconnect when you get DAC.

A

Anonymous

Many DACs seem to take a USB input, which will give 100% accurate digital transfer, though depending on which one you choose some allow different sample and bit rates over USB vs S/PDIF. The DACmagic from Cambridge Audio will only take 16bit over USB, though the device can handle 24bit.ÿhttp://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=320&Title=Specifications

ÿUSB will give a more reliable data transfer and certainly cheaper cables.ÿ

A

Anonymous

zzgavin:
Many DACs seem to take a USB input, which will give 100% accurate digital transfer, though depending on which one you choose some allow different sample and bit rates over USB vs S/PDIF.

USB will give a more reliable data transfer and certainly cheaper cables.ÿ

Sure USB will give a better data transfer if you don't take into account external interference. It is not isolated from electrical interference like S/PDIF is. The chances of actual audible degradation are much greater with electrical interference than with the possible tiny, tiny amounts of signal degradation with S/PDIF.

For me I would chooseÿS/PDIF.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Interesting, I hadn't looked at interference over and beyond the data transfer.

Is there data to show the differences anywhere? just curious, not disputing the optical vs electrical argument.ÿ

A

Anonymous

The differences are so very, very slight either way, taking this discussion any further is not worth the paper it is written on. I dislike HDMI cable discussions to continue with this would be hypocritical on my part. If you like USB nice one.

(remembering HDMI is shielded, most USB isn't)

A

Anonymous

PJPro:I believe iTunes streaming natively (with "Airtunes") to the Airport Express is bitperfect. Can't be bad!Indeed. Pity iTunes isn't itself guaranteed 'bit-perfect'

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
One of the reasons I spend so much time fiddling about with Foobar and Windows. At the end of the day, any improvements are free (except for my time of course).

A

Anonymous

PJPro:One of the reasons I spend so much time fiddling about with Foobar and Windows. At the end of the day, any improvements are free (except for my time of course).

ÿ

..and of course time spent on such is just fun ;)ÿ

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:zzgavin:
Many DACs seem to take a USB input, which will give 100% accurate digital transfer, though depending on which one you choose some allow different sample and bit rates over USB vs S/PDIF.

USB will give a more reliable data transfer and certainly cheaper cables.

Sure USB will give a better data transfer if you don't take into account external interference. It is not isolated from electrical interference like S/PDIF is. The chances of actual audible degradation are much greater with electrical interference than with the possible tiny, tiny amounts of signal degradation with S/PDIF.

For me I would choose S/PDIF.

That's interesting. I am considering a USB DAC (to upgrade my Beresford) to by-pass my soundcard. It would seem that you would not recommend that course of action. Should I think again?

A

Anonymous

For audio I would always use S/PDIF, it is what it is designed for. USB is designed for connecting devices to a computer. If it over a short distance I would have no problem using a USB DAC, but I would only do so if I wanted to bypass a soundcard like you do.

(Or maybe I am just a computer audio traditionalist)ÿ

A

Anonymous

short distances is what USB works well for, it is data perfect, but that ignores the noise issues you mentioned. Something I want to figure out, does the digital audio out on a mac bypass the dac and the amplifier or not. I'm sure Apple's developer documentation will tell me. USB out apparently does bypass the sound card.

A

Anonymous

zzgavin:does the digital audio out on a mac bypass the dac and the amplifier

Yesÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts