mains supply

evo6tme

Apr 17, 2008
Visit site
Due to limmited space the only place i can place my speakers is next to the mains socket supplying the system,so the speaker cable follows the mains cable. will this affect the sound ???

A

Anonymous

[quote user="evo6tme"]
Due to limmited space the only place i can place my speakers is next to the mains socket supplying the system,so the speaker cable follows the mains cable. will this affect the sound ???
[/quote]

hey there

'Mains cables carry relatively high alternating currents that can be induced into audio cables running alongside them, even if the audio cable is well screened. The longer the distance the cables run alongside each other, the greater the amount of interference (usually hum) that will be induced into the signal cable. When audio and mains cables must cross, try to arrange the crossing to be at right angles, as this is the angle of minimum coupling'

this is the tech advice quoted from a well known music recording magazine.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
EDIT - Post removed by author since, even though it wasn't meant to be rude, it might have come across that way.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JAXON5"][quote user="evo6tme"]

[/quote]

hey there

'Mains cables carry relatively high alternating currents that can be induced into audio cables running alongside them, even if the audio cable is well screened. The longer the distance the cables run alongside each other, the greater the amount of interference (usually hum) that will be induced into the signal cable. When audio and mains cables must cross, try to arrange the crossing to be at right angles, as this is the angle of minimum coupling'

this is the tech advice quoted from a well known music recording magazine.[/quote]

He's talking about speaker wires, not signal leads. There is absolutely no problem with running speaker wires alongside mains wires.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]That's because you should. The thing is, if you have no choice, it's not worth worrying about. If you can separate them, you should.[/quote]

Except for mains leads and speaker wires where it doesn't matter.

A

Anonymous

Right on Hat, In Fact a Bit of Hum might even improve some of the muzak around today, Guitar players will know what I mean.

John Duncan

[quote user="mocha"]
Right on Hat, In Fact a Bit of Hum might even improve some of the muzak around today, Guitar players will know what I mean.
[/quote]

i don't know why this hasn't been mentioned before. If anybody has any doubts about a cable's effect on an audio signal, they should try plugging a strat into a POD set on 'Treadplate' with a rubbish cable and the other guitarist's radio mic six feet away.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Bam!

(Apologies, had to work well into the night last night and couldn't get to sleep so still awake. Running on coffee now so a little wired. I think this is best demonstrated by the fact that I started cooking a beef casserole at 10.30am. Just put the tomatoes in about half an hour ago, so about 45 minutes to go... Yum!)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

i don't know why this hasn't been mentioned before. If anybody has any doubts about a cable's effect on an audio signal, they should try plugging a strat into a POD set on 'Treadplate' with a rubbish cable and the other guitarist's radio mic six feet away.[/quote]

Perhaps because it's totally irrelevant to what's being discussed?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Wow - over 12 hours and no one ridiculing you... that must be a new record!! Maybe the naysayers have used themselves up on the exciting "someone else wrote a thread I agree with on a different forum" threads
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

Why don't you take a break from your cable altar at the bottom of your garden where the fairies are and explain exactly why mains cables should run away from other cables. Having a pop at folk who don't fall for the nonsense isn't good enough.

John Duncan

An audio signal generator plugged into an amplifier, with loads of other electrical and RF signals surrounding it, and the effect those other signals have on the signal generator? Why is it different?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"][quote user="professorhat"]Wow - over 12 hours and no one ridiculing you... that must be a new record!! Maybe the naysayers have used themselves up on the exciting "someone else wrote a thread I agree with on a different forum" threads
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

Why don't you take a break from your cable altar at the bottom of your garden where the fairies are and explain exactly why mains cables should run away from other cables. Having a pop at folk who don't fall for the nonsense isn't good enough.[/quote]
Fair enough on that one... just having a bit of fun whilst a little drunk - I fully retract it. Did you read about my casserole? I think this will explain it.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]An audio signal generator plugged into an amplifier, with loads of other electrical and RF signals surrounding it, and the effect those other signals have on the signal generator? Why is it different?[/quote]

I've checked and it's definitely about dressing mains leads near speaker cables. So what's all this signal generator nonsense?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts