Mains Leads, Plugs & Filters

halba

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
As a new user to Cyrus equipment I am looking for ways to get the best from my system.

My question is that will I get any benift from buying better mains lead & plugs or mains filters? The reason I ask this is after reading about the PSX-R power supply I understand it acts as a 'battery' supply to the main unit therefore dealing with spikes & filtration ?

I have Cyrus PSX-R's connected to the CD, integrated & power amp.

Can anyone help?

A

Anonymous

Hi Halba,

I have an 8vs2, CD8x and Proac Studio 110 speakers. The "accessories" I bought for my system have been:

Tacima CS929 mains conditioner. I actually bought two - one was for the TV. Amazingly, my TV performance improved immediately. Frankly, I haven't heard any difference to my hi-fi, but I do have the re-assurance of knowing it also acts as a surge protector. I was under the impression that the Cyrus amp "holds" or "stores" electric current in order to smooth out any mains fluctuations, thus the Tacima offers less benefit than it might for other amps without the facility.

Blue Jeans LC1 interconnects. Worth reading the website for the science, which may make you think in a different way about the value of interconnects. Very well made, and low cost - not cheap - half the cost of say Chord Crimson.

Belden 5000UP speaker cable - thick runs of copper. I single wire, not bi-wire, which gives great sound. I haven't yet met a dealer who advocates bi-wiring, although they are in favour of bi-amping. Bi-wiring made the sound ridiculously bright and aggressive. I have tried significantly more expensive runs of cable, to my shame falling for the idea that expensive cable might make the sound better. Save your money - I have always reurned to the Belden.

I would be interested to know your experience of the PSX-R. When I auditioned my Cyrus kit, the dealer also demo'd the PSX-R and the Power 8(?) for me. Both made a significant difference to the sound, making it tighter and more defined. I suspect that these two products working together will make more difference to the sound than any mains leads. These are the upgrades I'm really interested in when budget allows.

At the end of the day, you can accessorise your system as much as you want, but you can't beat the laws of physics. I would also search the net for different views on the value of accessories. There are some very, very different views out there. It seems to be the scientists vs. those who say they can hear the difference.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
The Tacima can currently be picked up on Amazon for £23 including postage. That's a pretty good price I think.

Just ordered one as I've been thinking about trying one of these for a while. Old house, old wiring. I should see a significant improvement.ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
halba:As a new user to Cyrus equipment I am looking for ways to get the best from my system.

My question is that will I get any benift from buying better mains lead & plugs or mains filters? The reason I ask this is after reading about the PSX-R power supply I understand it acts as a 'battery' supply to the main unit therefore dealing with spikes & filtration ?

I have Cyrus PSX-R's connected to the CD, integrated & power amp.

Can anyone help?

The biggest, immediate improvement we find with Cyrus systems is using the company's own cables - the synergy is better than anything else we've tried.

Re mains - the Tacima is a great budget solution, but on your system i'd try something like ClearerAudios mains cables to see if you can hear an improvement. They're available on home trial with money-back guarantee, so you've nothing to lose.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare you need to "unplug" it's the weekend! Stop working!!

Clare Newsome:

halba:As a new user to Cyrus equipment I am looking for ways to get the best from my system. My question is that will I get any benift from buying better mains lead & plugs or mains filters? The reason I ask this is after reading about the PSX-R power supply I understand it acts as a 'battery' supply to the main unit therefore dealing with spikes & filtration ? I have Cyrus PSX-R's connected to the CD, integrated & power amp. Can anyone help?

The biggest, immediate improvement we find with Cyrus systems is using the company's own cables - the synergy is better than anything else we've tried.

Re mains - the Tacima is a great budget solution, but on your system i'd try something like ClearerAudios mains cables to see if you can hear an improvement. They're available on home trial with money-back guarantee, so you've nothing to lose.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

This is not meant to be a trolling question. However, I just don't get the cable thing. I looked at the electrical characteristics of the Cyrus interconnect on their site. I looked at the Blue Jeans interconnect, and it appeared to have virtually the same characteristics, also with quality, soldered connectors and substantial shielding. In terms of quality, it seems to stand up to most things I've seen in hi-fi shops. Therefore, why would there be a difference between them? (Except the price, which is vast). If I remember, the same is true of the speaker cable - at the end of the day, they both have the same thickness of copper, albeit one is solid, the other stranded. Copper doesn't have a personality - it is just a metal used to conduct electrical signals. It also hasn't got a clue as to whether its directional or not.

Mind you, I did try some silver coated copper cable, from QED, and the result was horrific.....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you're happy with your cable and can't hear any difference between that and, say, the Cyrus, then that's great!

As ever with anything hi-fi/AV, we're firm believers in seeing/hearing before you buy. There are good and bad cables at every price, and from big and small names - only by testing a range of combinations (preferably blind-testing, as we do) can you find what works for your system and your ears.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
DistortedVision:
Clare you need to "unplug" it's the weekend! Stop working!!

We're putting together our biggest issue of the year (with another whopper to close before Xmas) - weekends don't exist right now....

halba

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clare,

My question is that will I get any benift from buying better mains lead & plugs or mains filters as it appears the PSX-R power supply deal with spikes & filtration ?

A

Anonymous

Septicman:
Hi Halba,

I have an 8vs2, CD8x and Proac Studio 110 speakers. The "accessories" I bought for my system have been:

Tacima CS929 mains conditioner. I actually bought two - one was for the TV. Amazingly, my TV performance improved immediately. Frankly, I haven't heard any difference to my hi-fi, but I do have the re-assurance of knowing it also acts as a surge protector. I was under the impression that the Cyrus amp "holds" or "stores" electric current in order to smooth out any mains fluctuations, thus the Tacima offers less benefit than it might for other amps without the facility.

Blue Jeans LC1 interconnects. Worth reading the website for the science, which may make you think in a different way about the value of interconnects. Very well made, and low cost - not cheap - half the cost of say Chord Crimson.

Belden 5000UP speaker cable - thick runs of copper. I single wire, not bi-wire, which gives great sound. I haven't yet met a dealer who advocates bi-wiring, although they are in favour of bi-amping. Bi-wiring made the sound ridiculously bright and aggressive. I have tried significantly more expensive runs of cable, to my shame falling for the idea that expensive cable might make the sound better. Save your money - I have always reurned to the Belden.

I would be interested to know your experience of the PSX-R. When I auditioned my Cyrus kit, the dealer also demo'd the PSX-R and the Power 8(?) for me. Both made a significant difference to the sound, making it tighter and more defined. I suspect that these two products working together will make more difference to the sound than any mains leads. These are the upgrades I'm really interested in when budget allows.

At the end of the day, you can accessorise your system as much as you want, but you can't beat the laws of physics. I would also search the net for different views on the value of accessories. There are some very, very different views out there. It seems to be the scientists vs. those who say they can hear the difference.

Good sensible advice. A mains lead can only either make it work or not, not make it sound different. Would you change your kettle lead to improve the quality of your tea?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
If you're happy with your cable and can't hear any difference between that and, say, the Cyrus, then that's great!

As ever with anything hi-fi/AV, we're firm believers in seeing/hearing before you buy. There are good and bad cables at every price, and from big and small names - only by testing a range of combinations (preferably blind-testing, as we do) can you find what works for your system and your ears.

If you conducted proper blind tests you would have discovered that mains leads all sound the same. Where's the science?

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Efficiency, interference shielding, material conductivity etc (and looks!)

I think they sell on looks alone. If they look good you feel good about owning one and therefore they must sound good, right?

Clearer audio as mentioned earlier don't bother with technical specs. on their website. The section is "coming soon" and has been for a while now.

matthewpiano

The furthest I go is a surge protector. Changing mains leads and plugs, and using mains filters is, to me, a step too far down the line of being obsessed with the hi-fi rather than the music. If you're adding these things all the time you are listening for the differences they make (or more likely don't make) to the sound rather than focusing on the music.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
I'll tell you when I get my new Isotek Sigmas.

I wouldn't buy them The company has gone bust.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:The furthest I go is a surge protector. Changing mains leads and plugs, and using mains filters is, to me, a step too far down the line of being obsessed with the hi-fi rather than the music. If you're adding these things all the time you are listening for the differences they make (or more likely don't make) to the sound rather than focusing on the music.

Fully agree with that MP :)

I found that there was a difference to the sound stage when i added the Tacima mains conditioner/surge protector but found that when i demo'd my uncles Merlin mains cables; it made no difference at all!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I too noticed a very decent improvement in the clarity and open soundstage when i added a Tacima conditioner and plus it has surge protection as well.

I have not upgraded my mains cables - i have thought about it but a friend who recently upgraded to merlin mains leads after adding a Tacima also found no added improvement from the leads.

Seems to me that the Tacima probably does the best value for money job in cleaning things up.

A

Anonymous

Isotek have gone bust???
emotion-3.gif

I'm glad I bought a VertexAQ mains conditioner instead then. Not cheap but an awesome upgrade to my hifi,

A

Anonymous

To my experience, adding a mains conditioner like the Tacima will improve the performance of any system, but not hugely so.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Grimly Fiendish:JoelSim:
I'll tell you when I get my new Isotek Sigmas.

I wouldn't buy them The company has gone bust.

Well, technically, Isotek's holding company - Spotlyte - has gone into voluntary liquidation.

Isotek's (ex) PR says any customers should contact retailers re support queries....

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Grimly Fiendish:JoelSim:
Efficiency, interference shielding, material conductivity etc (and looks!)

I think they sell on looks alone. If they look good you feel good about owning one and therefore they must sound good, right?

Clearer audio as mentioned earlier don't bother with technical specs. on their website. The section is "coming soon" and has been for a while now.

Dear Grimly Fiendish,

We have been working on a technical section for our website for a long time but it is not aimed to give technical specifications of our cables but be a guide to the different types of cables available along with general information about cable design. Due to many other commitments including developing a new online store along with limited resources (we do everything from web design to cable manufacture in-house) means that this still being worked on.

We used to list detailed technical specifications on our website for our customers but had lots of feedback that there was simply too much "technical" information which is why we removed it. If you need any specific information then please contact us and we will be more than happy to provide you with any information you require.

As Clare pointed the best way to see if a cable is going to work for you is to audition for yourself (if you are skeptical then conduct a double blind test).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts