Mains cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just ordered a Tacima CS929 - a cheap experiment of sorts. If it doesn't improve the sound, I'll just use it as an power extension.

Now, my question is, what power cable upgrade do you recommend for my Marantz PM7001Ki under £60 (or so).

I see Wireworld Stratus is around £56, Clear Audio Copperline Alpha around $35 (1m), Isotek Premium around £60 - please suggest alternatives for the £££. Any clear picks?

EDIT: Poll removed per mod's request.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO none...

I had a number of Russ Andrews mains power cables and MERLIN Tarantula that my other half bought me for Christmas 2007 and they made NO difference what so ever (using the Tacima as the mains conditioner).

At that time i had an Arcam Alpha 9 system (integrated, power and CDP) paired with M/A RS6 speakers.

I sold them all on eBay and used the standard Arcam cables and they were all fine :)

IMO, save your £££

A

Anonymous

Interesting...

Clearaudio has 60day money back guarantee so it could be a worthy experiment, too.

A

Anonymous

EDITED BY MODS - Sorry, but it sets a dangerous precedent for commercial concerns to start posting polls all over the forums.

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I recently brought the Clearer Audio Copper-line Alpha and was surprised on the improvements. Testing on a HIFI def gave more detail and punch to various music tracks Ive heard a hundred times. Testing on a Sony HD LCD improves the picture clarity and colour spectrum, I assume the Copperline hugely reduces picture noise hence the 'obvious' and happy results.

At the 'WhatHIFI show' in Bristol the other weekend I attended the demo for the 'True Colour Industries' aka TCI cables power cables. On demo were the 'Constrictor', 'Super Constrictor', ''Bao Constrictor' and normally supplied power leads. The same HIFI setup was used for each and same track, the results were surprising especially from standard supplied power cable to entry level TCI power cable. The other 'eye-opener' was the Bao Constrictor', the detail, punch and 3D sound it seemed to help produce was very apparent to everyone in the room.. well it does cost £500 quid!!

I also attended the Russ Andrews demo but it's results were non-apparent and well simply poor.

So in conclusion for me 'some' power cables do make a big difference, other not, so maybe best advice is trial a few and see if a cable works for you. From my experience Clearer Audio and TCI are must trys..

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Think about it...

Lots of cables muddled up behind your rack.

Electromagnetic and other interference forces affecting sound quality as cables criss cross.

Shielded mains cable.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I like my Merlins and there is a guy on eBay who you can get them off for approx half price.

ÿ

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
sheehanjuk:

I recently brought the Clearer Audio Copper-line Alpha and was surprised on the improvements. Testing on a HIFI def gave more detail and punch to various music tracks Ive heard a hundred times. Testing on a Sony HD LCD improves the picture clarity and colour spectrum, I assume the Copperline hugely reduces picture noise hence the 'obvious' and happy results.

Really pleased to hear that you are happy with the Copper-line Alpha Power Cable.

Kind regards,

Darren

A

Anonymous

I am down to these three.... Leaning towards Clear Audio though.

Merlin Tarantula Classic (~£40 for 1.5m)
Clear Audio Copperline Alpha (~£40 for 1.5m)
Russ Andrews PowerMaxT Plus (~£54 for 1.5m)

*prices include delivery

Also, what kind of termination should I get for Marantz amp? Standard IEC or Standard High Current 16A IEC? Thanks!!!

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
chainrock:Also, what kind of termination should I get for Marantz amp? Standard IEC or Standard High Current 16A IEC? Thanks!!!

Hi chainrock,

You will most certainly need the Standard IEC for your Marantz amplifier.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Darren

A

Anonymous

Darren,
Thanks indeed.

You'd be pleased to know I placed an order for a 1.5m Copperline Alpha just now.

A

Anonymous

Also - since I closed the poll (mods didn't think it was a great idea
emotion-4.gif
), I will post the findings:

88% said upgrading mains cable makes a difference (17 respondents)

43% picked Copperline Alpha and 14% Merlin Tarantula (14 respondents)

Far away from scientific, but in case you were curious...

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
chainrock:
Also - since I closed the poll (mods didn't think it was a great idea
emotion-4.gif
), I will post the findings:

88% said upgrading mains cable makes a difference (17 respondents)

43% picked Copperline Alpha and 14% Merlin Tarantula (14 respondents)

Far away from scientific, but in case you were curious...

Very interesting indeed.

All the best,
Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts