mains cable?

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

im getting a arcam cd73 player , does the mains cable make a big difference if i was to get a better cable?

if so can anyone recommend a good mains cable for the cd73.

cheers

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if this is your first step try buying a mains block first for your whole system - i have the merlin tarantula block direct from merlin cables - makes a big difference - some ppl sware by tacima mains block as a cheaper alternative

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
the only thing is the mains block i use at present is for my ps3/dvd player , cd and amp , if i was to get say the merlin mains block could i still use it for all my other devices?

also my cd73 can have a mains cable upgrade but my nad c320bee cannot would it still be worth it?

cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:the only thing is the mains block i use at present is for my ps3/dvd player , cd and amp , if i was to get say the merlin mains block could i still use it for all my other devices?
Certainly could.

beachBOYken:also my cd73 can have a mains cable upgrade but my nad c320bee cannot would it still be worth it?
Divided opinion - I'd recommend buying from a retailer with money back guarantee so you can return it if you can't see any benefit. Most of the main manufacturers offer this.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
ok thanks perhaps i will first get a better mains block for all my electronics , proberly the merlin tarantula , and then possibly upgrade the cd73 mains and see how that goes.

i dont get what those product treatments are on the merlin site for cables , are they worth it?

thanks

A

Anonymous

I would put the cash towards buying the Arcam CD192 instead of the CD73; much bigger gains...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:I would put the cash towards buying the Arcam CD192 instead of the CD73; much bigger gains...

I'd get a 192 with new mains cables. In fact I wouldn't as I already have all those things

A

Anonymous

Well the CD73 is fantastic anyway. A mains cable will make a difference for sure IMO. How much is probably a bit variable. But hey, it's good fun to try it. Go for Clearer Audio with their money back guarantee and Copperline.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
merlin does money back as well - make sure you order online either from their website or off their store on ebay to save money - i noticied the biggest change with the block then bought cables for each piece of kit over time - split the cost

i have three of the blocks one for each of my stereos and one for my homecinema pse ect

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The cables and block will last you years. I got a Merlin Black Widow and Tarantula on eBay brand new for about 40% off, I will try to find the link.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
cheers perhaps i will eventually get a merlin tarantula block and a merlin classic mains cable for the arcam cd73.

i know its debatable but do you think i will see any improvment with these items?

by the way my system is-

arcam diva cd73 (posibble mains upgrade to the merlin classic)

nad c320bee (cant upgrade mains)

monitor audio rs1 speakers

A

Anonymous

Try the Tacima 929 first for £20 odd.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-CS929-Conditioner-Frequency-Interference/dp/B000PS5700/ref=sr_1_1/203-6235887-5568706?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220903696&sr=1-1

Also, they do mains for about the same money - v happy with mine.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
beachBOYken:
cheers perhaps i will eventually get a merlin tarantula block and a merlin classic mains cable for the arcam cd73.

i know its debatable but do you think i will see any improvment with these items?

by the way my system is-

arcam diva cd73 (posibble mains upgrade to the merlin classic)

nad c320bee (cant upgrade mains)

monitor audio rs1 speakers

They won't be a wow difference, but probably a little tidier and full sounding.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
thanks seen as the mains block is for my other devices such as tv/ps3.... and hifi , it should make an improvement to something hopefully.

does anyone know what the treatment options are on the merlin site , do people bother with them?

A

Anonymous

daveh75:i make up my own leads using these,these and this and use a tacima

I'm lazy - will you make me some please? (and not far from you in Durham)
emotion-5.gif

They also look like Mark Grant's when put together............

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

im proberly going to get the merlin classic mains cable first and perhaps decide on either the tacima or merlin tarantula mains blocks at a later date , my main question is i dont understand what the optional treatments are for on the merlin website ? , are they worth the extra £5 or should i not bother , it seems the demagnitation treatment is already ticked.

cheers

daveh75

beachBOYken:

hi

im proberly going to get the merlin classic mains cable first and perhaps decide on either the tacima or merlin tarantula mains blocks at a later date , my main question is i dont understand what the optional treatments are for on the merlin website ? , are they worth the extra £5 or should i not bother , it seems the demagnitation treatment is already ticked.

cheers

its a cleaning treatment for the electrical contacts, thats supposed to improve conductivity, personally i'm a bit dubious as to whether it works, on the topic of blocks and cables, if your going to go down this route, personally i would go for a mains block first then upgrade cables later

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

why is the demagnitation treatment on merlins site ticked as an option ? under tarantula mains , is it best to not bother then with the treatments?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd imagine it's their recommended option. I didn't go for it with the cable I ordered from Merlin as I have to say, even I'm dubious on some of these things, especially at the £30 - £40 price for cable. But then I haven't seen / heard one which has been treated for comparison.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts