MAD 1920

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

has anyone heard the My Audio Design (MAD) MY 1920?

They are a small two way monitor that apparently work well near a wall - and have decent bass. They have some very good reviews (e.g. HiFi World = 5 globes) but not quite a good one from this esteemed publication - only 4 stars with some concerns regarding timing. HiFi World described them as dynamically expressive - is this anything to do with timing?

Now I realise we all have different ears and all reviews will vary a bit and as these cannot be heard in any shop (that I know of) I would love to hear from somebody that owns or has heard them. Maybe What Hifi would be kind enough to elaborate on the timing issue and maybe comment on how they would compare in this regard to my current AVI Pro Nine (1st version)?

I am also considering Spendor SA1 (lightweight bass maybe??) and PMC Db1i / Twenty 21 (all of which are much easier to demo) but I do not want to write the MAD's off just yet... or even the Audiosmile Kensai?

to be partnered with Linn Sneaky DS connected directly to Linn 2250 Power amp

I am looking for a smooth sound with good bass that works near a wall and at low levels (system in static caravan)

to work with all types of music if possible!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mond

I've heard of, but not heard MAD.

You are speaking to the converted here.....the Sneaky is my preference for a source at that budget, and the SA1s are my favorite small speakers around £1400.

The combination with the Linn amp should work nicely and give you the sound you're after.....I really liked the SA1s with Linn Kairn/LK100. IMO It sounds best with Linn Black I/Cs and K20 S/C, which can be picked up cheaply on Ebay if necessary.

The other speakers that would fit the bill would be Audio Note AX2s or AN-K: http://www.audioflair.co.uk/loudspeakers-2/

It is worth noting the AN speakers would work with the Sneaky's own amp due to their extra efficiency. They are designed to work close to walls and in corners.

Cno

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
mond said:
I am also considering Spendor SA1 (lightweight bass maybe??) and PMC Db1i / Twenty 21 (all of which are much easier to demo) but I do not want to write the MAD's off just yet... or even the Audiosmile Kensai?

to be partnered with Linn Sneaky DS connected directly to Linn 2250 Power amp

I am looking for a smooth sound with good bass that works near a wall and at low levels (system in static caravan)

to work with all types of music if possible!

I cant comment on the MAD speakers as I have never heard them or seen them. However, i own the Spendor SA1's and the PMC DB1i's so I can help with those.

I love my SA1's, however the one area that I feel you might not like is the bass response. The quality of the bass is great, but the amount and depth is not up to the standard of the PMCs or many other smaller speakers. I suggest you demo them before buying as my other half (and lots of other people) find the lack of bass to be an issue. Personally I think they are lovely speakers with a midrange to die for. With the right music they are hard to beat, but Im not sure i would call them all rounders.

Conversely I would say the PMCs are great all rounders, with a fantastic bass response for their size, but I dont like the midrange or treble as much as the Spendors.

Both lovely speakers, not heard either with Linn amplification but I dont see why it wouldnt work. Try and demo both and see what you prefer.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the responses. I should be able to here both the Spendor and PMC easily enough in Bristol - not far from where I live, not sure about the Audio Note ones - don't remember seeing them but I must admit they are new to me, not heard them or much about them. However the MAD are more difficult to hear as they can only be bought on line - they do offer a 30 day period to listen at home though - then just send em back if not happy - this could be an option while I am auditioning the others!

Mond

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mond said:
Hi

Thanks for the responses. I should be able to here both the Spendor and PMC easily enough in Bristol - not far from where I live, not sure about the Audio Note ones - don't remember seeing them but I must admit they are new to me, not heard them or much about them. However the MAD are more difficult to hear as they can only be bought on line - they do offer a 30 day period to listen at home though - then just send em back if not happy - this could be an option while I am auditioning the others!

Mond

If you don't find what you want with the other speakers (unlikely), Audio Note dealers are listed here:
http://www.audionote.co.uk/distributor/dist_home_01.shtml

and if that doesn't suit, let me know and I can give you Martin Grennall's (AN) contact details.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts