Macbook with Squeezebox and DACs etc. ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,I’ll be buying a new laptop in the next month or two and toying with the idea of going for a macbook pro. The reason I’m posting hear is that my current windows laptop is the centre of my hi-fi setup and I want the check if moving over to mac would cause me much grief....My setup is Computer, Squeezebox Classic, Cyrus 8 Qx DA, Spendor A6 speakers. Will the macbook work perfectly connected via USB into the Cyrus Amp/DAC to play audio files and audio from movies? Anyone have experience using a macbook with Squeezebox over Wi-Fi? Are all the windows plugins compatible with iOS? e.g I use a lot of the unofficial plugins including Spotify and BBC iPlayer. Any other comments much appreciated! Thanks

Hi All,

I’ll be buying a new laptop in the next month or two and toying with the idea of going for a macbook pro. The reason I’m posting here is that my current windows laptop is the centre of my hi-fi setup and I want the check if moving over to mac would cause me much grief....

My setup is Computer, Squeezebox Classic, Cyrus 8 Qx DA, Spendor A6 speakers.

Will the macbook work perfectly connected via USB into the Cyrus Amp/DAC to play audio files and audio from movies?

Anyone have experience using a macbook with Squeezebox over Wi-Fi? Are all the windows plugins compatible with iOS? e.g I use a lot of the unofficial plugins including Spotify and BBC iPlayer.

Any other comments much appreciated!

Thanks

John Duncan

I set up a server briefly on my MBP running Snow Leopard to fiddle with a mate's SB Touch and it worked fine, though I didn't have any additional plugins switched on that I was aware of. You might be better off addressing your query to the Squeezebox forum over here?

Should work fine via USB, I've found it somewhat better out of the box than a cooking XP machine, though am aware that there are lots of things you can do to improve older Windows machines' audio. One thing you may wish to be aware of is that in order to output higher than 16/44 audio - if you care - you need to fiddle with the less-than-obvious 'Audio MIDI Setup' app on the MBP, and I don't know if the Cyrus will support high res over USB anyway (some DACs don't).

A

Anonymous

Hello lambconor, my opinion is that it all should work in a very smooth and trouble-free way. In theory some mistakes might happen but I think that in reality you will be able to skip them successfully. I thought the same about my way to download youtube videos and luckily it went just like I thought it would.

A

Anonymous

Hello lambconor, my opinion is that it all should work in a very smooth and trouble-free way. In theory some mistakes might happen but I think that in reality you will be able to skip them successfully. I thought the same about my way to download youtube videos and luckily it went just like I thought it would.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts