Mac Mini (2011) to amplifier - what are the options ?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Well its been a while ! :) Ive just aquired myself a Mini Mac (2011) and was wondering what are the options for connecting to my old Musical Fidelity amp via aux output ? I know my Mac has a audio output/minijack 3.5. I could simply buy an iChord cable. But what would give me the best sound within reasonable costs ?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Just to add, at the moment its purely for iTunes playback. Although no doubt in the future I would evolve to higher quality files.

Stephen

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, how much would you consider "reasonable"? I'd personally opt for an external DAC. This can be used either via the USB ports on the back or optical out from the headphone jack. One of these will do a much better job than the one built into your Mac.

Just depending on how much you wanted to spend really. The Beresford the TC-7510 springs to mind for a pretty good budget one.

If you weren't looking at spendinhg that much, I'd say just get an average cable for now and use the rest to start a savings fund for a DAC :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
there are many ways to get sound from macmini to your amp:

- macmini - audio out - mini jack to stereo rca - aux (or any other RCA) input on the amp. For this connection your mac has to be within the cable reach from the amp, obviously

- macmini- optical out (contained withing the same audio out) - optical mini jack - optical cable - optical input on an external dac - rca out from dac - rca input on the amp

- macmini wireless stream to apple airport express or apple TV. from this point on the two options above apply. the advantage here is that the macmini can be anywhere within the reach of the wifi link.

- macmini bluetooth stream to a bluetooth receiver (e.g. qed bluetooch puck) then rca cable to the amp. reach will be abt 10m or less. if you use this option make sure it can use apt-x or kleer protocols (macmini I think has apt-x built in (but I am not sure) and for the bluetooth receiver you ahve to check. qed has it, some logitech ones I think have it, chordette gem has it).

there are further options (e.g. ethernet/homeplug LAN to a streamer) but you may not be interested in these as they inovolve more expensive additional boxes.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Ryan, so I think the optical to dac to amp would be the best option for me.

AlmaataKZ - I actually didnt know the audio out on the Mac Mini was an optical out too. That's handy. So if I went for the 2nd option, optical/dac/amp, then would there be a limit to the type or quality of music file I could play via the dac ? Just thinking of long term, as in the past I have used FLAC on my old Windows laptop.

So now its just a case of finding the right dac.

Thanks both !

Stephen

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
inbetween time you'll find the audio quality of the Mac Mini's built-in DAC isn't half bad to start with: very easily better than most OEM PC soundcards. So while you're waiting for funds to buy an external DAC, connecting it to your amp with a stereo minijack->phono will give you good results.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
itunes will play compatible files up to 24bit 192 khz but optical output on macmini is limited to 24 bit 96 khz. actually, I forgot another option - macmini usb out - usb input on a dac - rca to amp. different usb dacs have different usb inputs (some are limited to 24bit48khz, some to 96khz some go to 192khz etc so check the specs before you buy). also, some dacs work with native drivers of the computer, some come with dedicated drivers that need to be installed on the computer for the dac to work. in terms of limits, I would not bother about 192 khz capability in dacs as there is very littel music available in this resoulution and also the difference of sound between 192 and 96 khs (or even lower like 48 or 44.1 khz) is very very difficult to notice. so do not bother abt 192, jsut choose a dac that works for you in terms of budget, functionality and sound and enjoy.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar, Yes I was wondering about what sort of quality the built-in DAC is, certainly when I choose to output through the Mac Mini's speaker it sounds relatively good. The sound via my monitor is dreadful, so any other means of output would be an improvement ! Okay, so that's a good sensible opinion - grab a minijack/phono cable til funds are suficient to buy a DAC.

Cheers.

Stephen

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Cool. So that's another option with regards to a DAC. Very helpful ! I like the look of the MF VDAC, also the sound would fit well with my MF amp. Mmm. Considering everything said, for the time being I think I will try a minijack/phono cable first to hear how that sounds.

Stephen

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
sthomas048 said:
I think I will try a minijack/phono cable first to hear how that sounds.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are two other computers in my house: an Acer laptop which the boss uses and a Toshiba P300 laptop which I use, and the SQ from the Mac Mini is a billion times better than the pair of them.

Just remember that after you hook it up to your amp, set the volume on the Mac to maximum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts