Mac & iPad offer for students

Upto 15% discount on Macs + £70 student gift card. You'll get a £35 gift card when you buy an iPad.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

Now that the new MacBooks are announced, quite tempted by the 13-inch MacBook Pro for £859 (instead of £999) & a £70 gift card :p

Not to forget, you'll get a complimentary 3-year warranty.

Should I go for 4GB RAM or 8GB for £68 extra....

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
IMHO, go for 8GB.

It's also worth checking out the Apple Refurbished section of the site, some excellent bargains pop up, but you have to be quick.

Will your MBP be in a 'supporting role' to a large-screen desktop or will it be your sole computer?

If the latter, go to an Apple Store and have a play with a 15in, IME its larger screen makes a lot of difference...

Thanks. I'll look at refurbished section. I wonder if student discounts are available for refurbished products as well...

The MacBook is for my wife to replace her 6 year old 13-inch MacBook. I already have a 15-inch Sony Vaio. But even I think my next laptop will be a 13-inch ultrabook. I'm hardly using my Vaio since I bought the iPad, mainly due to portability.

Paul.

Check on the crucial site how much the ram costs, it's a very easy job to fit it yourself and doesn't invalidate the warenty. Last time I looked 8gb was only £40, so probably isn't worth the faff of fitting it yourself to save £28.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Apparently, the RAM in the latest MacBook is not user replaceable. The current MacBook is said to be the "least repairable laptop yet".

It's all gone a bit too far.

Next it'll be no HDD (or solid state equivalent). "Just use the iCloud. If you are out of range of any wireless then you don't count anyway".

No keyboard... "You can just tell the computer. And if it's too secure/private to speak out loud then what are you hiding?"

No private music collection... "All music in the world now belongs to us so what else can you possibly need?"

No USB or ethernet or other connections. "They encourages use of non-Apple devices and panders to individual needs."

No screen or external screen connection. "You just need this neural iMplant..."

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Aye, it's getting daft, and a wee bit Huxley-esque.

Yeah, we all live and work in cities, where's there's access to interwebbings/Cloud via über speedy 4G and/or wifi.

No-one has a job that involves travel around the country, or world, and are therefore sometimes in locales where the all-seeing-and-being-Cloud is not accessible.

Umm, but isn't that why people buy a laptop/MacBook -
megaphone.gif
because of its F L E X I B I L I T Y !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts