MA RX6

feeex

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I have just taken delivery of my new RX6's in gloss white. I thought they might be a little too Gok Wan initially but i'm really liking them.

Anyway, at the moment I'm running them with an Onkyo 308 AV receiver. All of my music is stored on Apple TV version 1. It sounds good but I was expecting a little more from the new speakers. I understand all about run in and positioning (my positioning isn't perfect but not bad) but at the mo I'm a little underwhelmed. So I took a look at the possibility of sticking a DAC in between the Apple TV and the 308.

However, the spec of the 308 lists Burr Brown(?) DAC's. Does this mean that my music is already being converted to analogue? How is this possible if the input is HDMI and the output is HDMI?

Any comments most welcome.

Thanks.

feeex

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Of course this was my first thought but when speaking to the retailer he said for the most part, it's only the tweeter characteristics which change whilst running in.

They've had about 10 hours of running so far. I've heard stories of >100hours before they are really happy. Perhaps I should park this question for another 90 hours?!

But seriously, is the Onkyo 308 inbuilt DAC actually useful? Particularly since I am running HDMI into and out of it. Would I be better switching to an Optical cable? And if I do this, can I take the picture from the HDMI and the sound from the optical? Or am I just asking for too much?!

Thanks for the response Roberto.

A

Anonymous

You are already using the inbuilt dac within your a/v receiver. doesn't really matter whether you're using hte optical cable or HDMI, the same dac is probably used in both instances.

Don't know much about your a/v receiver to comment whether it's good enough for the ma rx6. In my case, it sounded way too bright and forward with little bass extension even after a month of running in (nad 326bee amp), so i had to bring it back to the dealer. It had equally to do with my furnishings, I guess.

In any case, give it a week of constant running at low to moderate volumes before making any changes or spending any more money. try to stop thinking about it and just let it run.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts