vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
hi. I'm planning to buy MA RS6, was wondering if it could play all kinds of music, say heavy metal, rock, classical, jazz, etc., or is there any limitations for RS6? owners of RS6 could you please clarify. thanx.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Nope... No limitations.

I play everything from Jethro Tull to Pink Floyd to Hed Kandi to Leftfield to Layo and Bushwacker to Iron Maiden to SOAD and theyre superb speakers.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i used to have a pair and thought they were fantastic - no problems at all with sound - when they arrive not well documented but you can remove the metal mesh cover of the tweeter carefully with bluetac or a pin which helps. Mine developed a fault and the customer service from MA was fantastic - mine were unrepairable so they let me pay the difference at the dealer and upgraded to the RS8s.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Nope... No limitations.

I play everything from Jethro Tull to Pink Floyd to Hed Kandi to Leftfield to Layo and Bushwacker to Iron Maiden to SOAD and theyre superb speakers.
[/quote]

thanx.

can they be placed straight facing you or tilted?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matengawhat"]i used to have a pair and thought they were fantastic - no problems at all with sound - when they arrive not well documented but you can remove the metal mesh cover of the tweeter carefully with bluetac or a pin which helps. Mine developed a fault and the customer service from MA was fantastic - mine were unrepairable so they let me pay the difference at the dealer and upgraded to the RS8s.[/quote]

thanx very much indeed.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
They can be placed so theyre pointing straight forward but ive got mine toe'ed in a bit. I feel it gives a lot better soundstage. Depends on where youre sitting when listening to your music though

In my listening room ive got my sofa bolted to the floor and the speakers are toed in so that the 'sweet spot' is about 1.5ft in front of me. Sounds brilliant :)

A

Anonymous

Just thought I would add, Emma Lawrence of Sevenoaks quoted £480 for the RS6s which I thought was quite a good price!

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Can only confirm other people opinions, they play my CD collection (which is very varied) I think they are brilliant speakers (but then I'm bound to say that cause I bought them !!! I have mine "toed in" I think they look and sound brill.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Again, nothing but praise from me. I have mine straight on as due to room restrictions they have to be closer together than I would like, but they still sound stunning. One thing - they sound good out of the box, but give them 20-30 hours use and they go from good to stunning...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I bought mine, just after Christmas from Sevenoaks in Epsom, brand new - £450! And in my preferred finish of walnut. Left me with enough to add granite plinths for them to sit on - they look as good as they sound!

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
granite plinths for them to sit on - they look as good as they sound!

have you got carpet or wood down on you floor, its seems quiet a few people are using granite plinths on top of carpet if so what are the benefits ??? I live in a bungalow with concrete floors presumabley mine are fine without granite ???

A

Anonymous

I'm in the process of auditioning a bunch of floorstanders and will probably buy a pair sometime in the next two months. I had the pleasure of listening to the RS6 on Friday and was quite impressed. They weren't mind-blowing in any one area, but I loved the overall sound coming from the RS6. The Monitor Audios were very involving & really got me "into" the music...all genres sounded nice and smooth. I listened to the Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 6 in the same room and wasn't impressed at all...the RS6 was a much, much better speaker (and much less expensive, too).

So far I've listened to the following speakers: KEF IQ7, KEF XQ30, Totem Staff, PSB T55, Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 6 & Monitor Audio RS6. I'd have to say that none of the speakers compare the the KEF XQ30. If I had the money to buy the XQ30 it would already be in my living room (loved them). That said, the Monitor Audios are the definite front runner among the others I've listened to so far. Up next: Epos M12i & M16i, Revel Concerta F12, Dali Ikon 6, B&W 683 & DM603 S3.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have young children. The speakers spiked into the carpet didn't feel that safe and they look good on granite! When I auditioned them they were placed on plinths and I thought then, that's how I would like mine. I'm sure they would be fine on your floor without granite, yes.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Lovely to hear so much good things about RS6, one more query, actually my floor is tiled, so should i use the spikes that comes with RS6 or place the speakers on the floor without the spikes, now which one will enhance sound quality ?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
you can remove the spikes from the rs6s base plate and there are little platic feet designed for wooden floors, tiles etc the spikes with porb be ok as long as you don't drag the speakers across the tiles

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Drummerdave"]I had a pair of black RS6s but sold them after a couple of months - found them to be lacking in detail at top end, I blame the metal tweeter, quite harsh sounding.[/quote]
What did you replace them with?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Drummerdave"]I had a pair of black RS6s but sold them after a couple of months - found them to be lacking in detail at top end, I blame the metal tweeter, quite harsh sounding.[/quote]

Well I never. I got a pair of Rs6's and I do rather love them, but nothings perfect and DrummerDave has hit the nail on the head with his comments. Highish vocals and things like violin can be a bit ear bleedy. But everything else is just fantastic. I'm currently giving some old Rega Jura's a try out. The bass isn't as tight or deep but the top end is just lovely - more high end (high hats etc) details, and a sweeter upper midrange. But they don't quite do it so well in the bass as the RS6's. Double bass can just sort of fade away which is a real shame. I do recommend RS6's though - but as always give thenm a home trial first. The Dali ikon 6 might have a better top end but the RS will have a better bass for example. 2nd hand for that money will be interesting though.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Drummerdave"]I had a pair of black RS6s but sold them after a couple of months - found them to be lacking in detail at top end, I blame the metal tweeter, quite harsh sounding.[/quote]
What did you replace them with?[/quote]

A pair of AVI Duos - loverly. More dynamic bass (less boomy) - very sweet midrange and treble - luverly

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Well I got them for same price as the RS6s - they were supposed to have slight damage (hence the 50% discount) when AVI moved premises but they were in perfect condition. For the money the RS6s are pretty good but the treble was something I couldn't live with.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Drummerdave"]Well I got them for same price as the RS6s - they were supposed to have slight damage (hence the 50% discount) when AVI moved premises but they were in perfect condition. For the money the RS6s are pretty good but the treble was something I couldn't live with.[/quote]

The treble is the big problem with the RS6. There is also a congestion problem when the music gets too busy. Not my kind of speaker at all.

TRENDING THREADS